Thread: Realtime Bandwidth Monitoring

Hybrid View

Beans

Realtime Bandwidth Monitoring

Hello all! I'm trying to find a solution that offers real time 'graphical' bandwidth monitoring. I've looked at Naigos, Icinga, PNP, Check_MD. None are what I'm looking for precisely. The SYSTEM MONITOR that comes with Ubuntu is actually perfect if you take away the CPU History and Memory graphs. But I would like something I could perhaps have 4-5 graphs that represent routers,switches or servers all on one page or app. I've found bmon and ifsat but both aren't as 'graphical' as I would like. I've looked ntop but haven't gotten very far with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

Re: Realtime Bandwidth Monitoring

83 views and no replies? LOL. I found darkstat which works pretty well. It only allows me to view on node at a time, but it's pretty good. I need to find a way to include the refresh rate....right now it's every 5 seconds but I'd like to get it to 1/sec.

Beans

118 views and still no responses...I'm getting concerned here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    apt-cache search network monitor
    Start installing some of these older monitor tools and find one that you like.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Code:
    apt-cache search network monitor
    Start installing some of these older monitor tools and find one that you like.
    I've done quite a bit. Ifstat Ipstat bmon prtg mrtg cacti nagios icinga ntop etherape etc. None run truly in real time. So my search continues. I'm thinking about just modifying the source of darkstat to work the way I want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is considered realtime to you? Monitoring is a tradeoff between the timeslice and interference with network throughput. You might have to go with a real-time kernel or at least one with smaller timeslices, or an instrumented/profiled kernel to get the data that you are looking for. For that, there are other tools like dtrace that can give you very fine granularity.

What is the purpose of the monitoring? QoS tweaks, DoS analysis, Web server performance?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.