Thread: New PC buying strategy - drivers

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

New PC buying strategy - drivers

So, if I am buying a new PC, what is the best way to ensure that there will be drivers for all the parts?

My wholesaler only builds PC's for windows configurations. I asked about verifying that their components have Linux drivers - they don't guarantee that.

Do I have to look up every part and hunt down a driver? What does everyone else do?

Is there a recommended path for this? I am picking a new beefy desktop for my one-man business. I am in Canada.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: New PC buying strategy - drivers

Go to the builder with a Live DVD of your distro of choice--64-bit for new machines. Have them take a built machine that is similar to what you want to build and plop in the DVD and run the distro from the DVD--no install is needed. Very quickly you will see what works out-of-the-box. Make a list of things that are not working and post that here.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Go to the builder with a Live DVD of your distro of choice--64-bit for new machines. Have them take a built machine that is similar to what you want to build and plop in the DVD and run the distro from the DVD--no install is needed. Very quickly you will see what works out-of-the-box. Make a list of things that are not working and post that here.
    Definitely the easiest way to find out!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

often times I've seen feedback on sites like newegg where people will state in the feedback tab of a certain product weather it worked in ubuntu or other popular linux distro. definitely the best sure fire way would be to run a live cd on the most similar hardware for sure though