Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is more secure: The iPhone or Ubuntu?

Hybrid View

Beans

Which is more secure: The iPhone or Ubuntu?

Hi, which should I feel more secure using (for personal data) the iPhone (over the 3g network), or Ubuntu on a wifi network with possibly compromised systems?

Beans

Re: Which is more secure: the iPhone or Ubuntu

I think that any device that uses wireless is at some risk , some of this directly related to what the user does with or to it. That being said I also believe that 3G service is less likely to have the same risk as wifi strictly because the type of service it is and the fact that hardware for it is not usually user configurable except maybe username/password. Some precautions can be taken for wifi, firewalls, using a VPN when on public wifi and in general some commonsense, Think before you act dont do anything that would outright expose your personal data, banking info, credit cards Etc.
    Last edited by chadk5utc; December 29th, 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Beans

i think it is going to depend greatly on what you have installed

suggested reading

what does Firefox read from your computer and where does it send that information ? that will depend on the scripts and add-ons running under Firefox ... or similar app, e.g. a music player

Beans

Ubuntu is easier to secure, and you can likely trust your desktop browser to implement SSL far better than your mobile browser.
    sig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    Hi, which should I feel more secure using (for personal data) the iPhone (over the 3g network), or Ubuntu on a wifi network with possibly compromised systems?
    What does the bit in bold mean?

Never do anything personal or important over a wifi network you don't trust. You can do a bit better if you can tunnel out of the public wifi to your own server at home or a VPN and do your browsing through that tunnel. Barring that, at the very least you should have strong inbound and outbound firewall rules on your PC (and I wouldn't do financial transaction online).

If you think there are compromised systems on the same network as you, then get them cleaned up if they're yours. I can't imagine a scenario where it would be OK to allow compromised systems to co-exist with my system on the same network. If they're not yours then I personally would stick with 3g.

Beans

it was with some misgiving that i read the following

"Online hackers may create websites that automatically trigger the installation of malicious extensions," Google wrote in a the Chrome help section. "Their extensions are often designed to secretly track the information you enter on the Web, which the hackers can then reuse for other, ill-intended purposes."
    This was regarding Google's recent decision to take control of the installation of plug-ins for Chrome REFERENCE Tech news Daily
    there was a similar report on C/Net
    Reference: C/net

C/Net's report notes
    These changes pull Chrome in line with changes that Mozilla made to Firefox's add-on management policies. If Chrome's implementation resembles Firefox's, then the third-parties, such as security suite vendors or businesses, will still be able to get their extensions installed. It will just take an extra click from the end user.
    these notes raise concerns regarding -- what is installed in our browser and -- what can the installed plug-ins and/or web page scripts actually do ?

I have my Firefox running in AppArmor provided by Canonical but I need to learn how to read and edit that profile . i would like to restrict my browser to one sub-directory in my /documents area

it is critical to security to remember that most hacking is accomplished via un-authorized programming (aka "malware") running in either the client or in the server . this would be like 95% of the problem; attacks on traffic in progress on the net are much less common -- although usually related to unsecured wireless .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    What does the bit in bold mean?

Never do anything personal or important over a wifi network you don't trust. You can do a bit better if you can tunnel out of the public wifi to your own server at home or a VPN and do your browsing through that tunnel. Barring that, at the very least you should have strong inbound and outbound firewall rules on your PC (and I wouldn't do financial transaction online).

If you think there are compromised systems on the same network as you, then get them cleaned up if they're yours. I can't imagine a scenario where it would be OK to allow compromised systems to co-exist with my system on the same network. If they're not yours then I personally would stick with 3g.
    Well I am currently using my extended families wireless network, and I am 99% sure their computers are compromised. And they won't let me fix it because they don't trust me for some reason lol.

And since the wifi is compromised I am afraid to connect my iPhone to the wifi so I can't upgrade my iOS 5 to iOS 6, do you think that posses any security risks?

And can you get malware from text messages? I only use my iPhone for calls, texts, facebook, email and banking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    And can you get malware from text messages? I only use my iPhone for calls, texts, facebook, email and banking.
    Yes if the text message has a link in it that's malicious. I think we've all gotten the spamtext message that we have won $10,000 and just need to call some number/click here to claim it. Obvious but worth stating: don't call, don't click, you didn't win.

Remember that your bank shouldn't email you links, so if you receive them they're probably spam/malicious.

I would recommend looking carefully at the apps you install in Facebook. A lot of them are spammy and want access to your contacts, and on the phone your Facebook contacts get weirdly merged with your phone contacts. All of those stupid surveys ("which is the best boy band?") are apps. I can't come up with a legitimate reason for a survey app to need access to your contacts, but if it wants it then I assume it's going to do something shady with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    {snip}
    I would recommend looking carefully at the apps you install in Facebook.{snip}
    you might take a close look at fb itself
    then you take the battery out* of your "smart phone" before you toss it in the Herbie and get you a plain flip phone that has only txt and phone; no "apps" .

Note: I'm a privacy advocate . I think too much "data mining" is going on without our knowledge or permission .
    ~~
    * uh-oh I just remembered the battery is glued into some of these phones oh well, wrap it in tin-foil it'll go dead after a while .
    Last edited by mike acker; December 30th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Note: I'm a privacy advocate . I think too much "data mining" is going on without our knowledge or permission.
    I agree with you, not sure we can do much about it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast