Thread: want to delete .private folder

Hybrid View

Beans

want to delete .private folder

I have 36 GB parition for Ubuntu whereas the folder .private has eaten up over 25 GB. I want to delete its contents. I would like to know whether it can cause any harm or not.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Re: want to delete .private folder

It is hidden folder located in my home folder which become visible by pressing Ctrl+H. I think it is holding some encrypted data as I had chosen my home folder to be encrypted at the time installation. The system was suppose to be multi login so I thought administrator account should be encrypted.

I didn't encrypt any of my files in my home folder. It is something which is system is doing on its own. That is why I think I should be safe to delete the files in this folder. However, I want to confirm it before doing so.
    Last edited by madeel12; November 20th, 2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: clarifying my follow up response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Don't delete it. This file contains the encrypted contents of your home folder.

Deleting this file would have the same effect as deleting everything in your home folder.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Don't delete it. This file contains the encrypted contents of your home folder.

Deleting this file would have the same effect as deleting everything in your home folder.
    But how can then I free the space available. It seems that this folder will continue to grow its size. My own data is less than 10 GB. There should be then some solution to circumvent this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by madeel12 View Post
    But how can then I free the space available. It seems that this folder will continue to grow its size. My own data is less than 10 GB. There should be then some solution to circumvent this problem.
    I have never tried encryption myself, so can't explain the folder size, but one easy way to ensure safety of your data is to just copy all your user data in home to another (non-encrypted) partition while being logged in as the user which you have encrypted.

Once done, you may proceed to either removing encryption or doing whatever you want with that folder. Should anything go wrong, at least your data would be safe.

EDIT :
    This may be an interesting read for you : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/En...irectory_Setup
    Last edited by varunendra; November 21st, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags