Thread: Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 capture

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 capture

OK, I guess this has been covered somewhere already, but my question is short for those in the know (which I'm not one of). I use the following command to capture from either SVHS tapes or from live TV:

ffmpeg -i /dev/videoN -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 448k ~/capture.mp4

I like ffmpeg better than cat because I can set acodec and ab. But when the capture is commencing I can't view it on my computer.

How can I also view on my computer whatever the ffmpeg is capturing?

Thanks for letting me post one more HD-PVR and vid-cap thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 capture

couldn't you opena second terminal window and use a command like this?
    Code:
    mplayer ~/capture.mp4
    there would obviously be a little lag but that should work. or is there someway to use all one command where it not only captures the output of /dev/videoX but also displays it using a pipe and exec somehow?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FFmpeg can have multiple outputs, and it can output to stdout; any player that can take input from stdin (vlc, totem, mplayer can all do this) can play that through a pipe. I've also updated the syntax to be in line with current correct ffmpeg usage (see here for more info):

Code:
    ffmpeg -i /dev/videoN -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k ~/capture.mp4 \
    -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k -f mp4 - | vlc -
    Dannyboy's solution will also probably work.
    Last edited by evilsoup; January 3rd, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Beans

Eventually a tee pseudo-muxer should make its way into ffmpeg which would be useful for this sort of thing since it can create several outputs from encoding just once.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    FFmpeg can have multiple outputs, and it can output to stdout; any player that can take input from stdin (vlc, totem, mplayer can all do this) can play that through a pipe. I've also updated the syntax to be in line with current correct ffmpeg usage (see here for more info):

Code:
    ffmpeg -i /dev/videoN -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k ~/capture.mp4 \
    -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k -f mp4 - | vlc -
    Dannyboy's solution will also probably work.

I entered as you specified (using correct device#, output path/file name, of course) and get errors. I'll post results later tonight. Maybe someone can help with the problem.

Beans
    Distro

i've successfully used 2 different terminal windows to show what is being captured from HD PVR. these are the following commands I use

Code:
    cat /dev/video0 > /home/username/video/video.ts
    Code:
    vlc /home/username/video/video.ts
    Then you just use ctrl-c in the terminal window that has the cat command to quit the recording.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    i've successfully used 2 different terminal windows to show what is being captured from HD PVR. these are the following commands I use

Code:
    cat /dev/video0 > /home/username/video/video.ts
    Code:
    vlc /home/username/video/video.ts
    Then you just use ctrl-c in the terminal window that has the cat command to quit the recording.
    Thank you Danny. I've done this one and it works, but I don't like the quality that cat gives. Also, I want to monitor it real-time on my computer monitor as it's being recorded. I tried VLC, using the hd-pvr as the capture device, but it too gives a strange-looking image (with the same lines in it that cat gives). If I knew better how to send ffmpeg output to 2 different outputs (my file, and stdout), and then pipe stdin into vlc, as evilsoup showed, I think that'd be what I'm looking for, but even when I translate his command into the old (my Natty) syntax it gives me an error. I'll post that error later tonight.

Beans
    Distro

PS: Do you think setting ffmpeg's output to stdout by specifying - as the output file, and then use tee and use ffmpeg with stdin and my file as the output, and followed by the vlc command with stdin would work?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by two4two View Post
    Thank you Danny. I've done this one and it works, but I don't like the quality that cat gives. Also, I want to monitor it real-time on my computer monitor as it's being recorded. I tried VLC, using the hd-pvr as the capture device, but it too gives a strange-looking image (with the same lines in it that cat gives). If I knew better how to send ffmpeg output to 2 different outputs (my file, and stdout), and then pipe stdin into vlc, as evilsoup showed, I think that'd be what I'm looking for, but even when I translate his command into the old (my Natty) syntax it gives me an error. I'll post that error later tonight.
    you're getting lines in your recordings? sounds like you have either a capture issue or a playback problem. I don't have any lines when I capture with cat or vlc using hd pvr as a capture device. are you sure your computer is up to playing back 720p h264 content?