Thread: Gimp is not letting me safe my work in jpeg

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Gimp is not letting me safe my work in jpeg

So I deleted my Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch and "updated" to Lubuntu 12.10 yesterday. I installed Gimp and when I went to save my work, it only had three extensions to save it on. All of them were some xfc (or something) which I understand are gimp's extensions. I suppose Lubuntu, being a rather minimalistic version of Ubuntu and concentrating on not using up much resources, left some stuff out. Can anybody tell me if I need to install something or if there's a workaround to this? I've been using gimp for years and I have never had this problem before.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Beans

Post Re: Gimp is not letting me safe my work in jpeg

It seems the procedure has changed in the latest releases. Now, you need to click the File menu, then select Export. I too liked it better the old way.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Gimp is not letting me safe my work in jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    It seems the procedure has changed in the latest releases. Now, you need to click the File menu, then select Export. I too liked it better the old way.

Tim
    Thanks a lot, sir!
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gimp is not letting me safe my work in jpeg

Yeah I jumped into the IRC server wondering wtf happened to all the available image formats. Guess that'll teach us not to read the changelog,
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans

Unhappy Re: Gimp is not letting me safe my work in jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Extol11 View Post
    Thanks a lot, sir!
    You are welcome.

Also note that, exporting the image to another filetype and saving it, GIMP does not consider the "original" file to be saved. So, when you close the image, it will ask if you want to save it, even though you feel like you just did. I don't care for that either, especially if I just opened the file to save it as a different file type. It just seems odd.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Also note that, exporting the image to another filetype and saving it, GIMP does not consider the "original" file to be saved. So, when you close the image, it will ask if you want to save it, even though you feel like you just did. I don't care for that either, especially if I just opened the file to save it as a different file type. It just seems odd.
    Not odd at all - I guess it's by design, although I must admit to my share of irritation at having to remember to "export" rather than "save" jpegs and pngs.

I should imagine the thinking goes something like this. For serious image work you edit and save sequential edits in gimp's native lossless format, xcf. You don't want to do sequential edits and saves with jpegs. When you have a version you want in another format, you export to that format, but the "master" image is still available as an xcf and gimp will prompt you if you try to close it unsaved after an edit.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Extol11 View Post
    Thanks a lot, sir!
    Please be reminded that as a unisex, international forum, we have no idea of a users gender unless it is made explicitly clear by the user. Therefore, please refrain from addressing other users as sir or madam unless you know their gender without doubt.

I realise that sir or madam may be culturally correct where you are, but it could also be culturally offensive on the forums as a users gender is generally unknown.

Just thought I'd mention it ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Please be reminded that as a unisex, international forum, we have no idea of a users gender unless it is made explicitly clear by the user. Therefore, please refrain from addressing other users as sir or madam unless you know their gender without doubt.

I realise that sir or madam may be culturally correct where you are, but it could also be culturally offensive on the forums as a users gender is generally unknown.

Just thought I'd mention it ...
    What!? Girls can't use Linux!

/sarcasm
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gerowen View Post
    What!? Girls can't use Linux!

/sarcasm
    I am saying the complete opposite ... they can and do, many are forum users and may not appreciate being called 'sir'.

For instance, I have no idea of your gender and therefore will not be addressing you as sir or madam, mister or missus; that would be an assumption on my part.

But yes, I do appreciate the humour based on the rather sad, probably for both genders, cultural assumption that all nerds and geeks are male ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 14th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.