Thread: Need some help here, new to using Linux.

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Can't boot Ubuntu from Hard Drive, new to Linux systems.

I am very new to using any kind of Linux based system. The HP Pavilion dv2000 I had bought from someone else (Big mistake, I know) had an unofficial version of Windows 7. It stopped booting up that ISO completely one day so I needed a temporary fix to my problem until I can finish getting the parts needed for a custom built desktop that won't be finished for a while. I found that a new ISO would be better and I remember trying out Ubuntu a few years ago and enjoyed it. Here's where the problem starts:

I have tried installing with a CD to the main 150GB hard drive in order to delete everything on there and start fresh, I tried to search for grub in terminal using grub> find/boot/grub/state1, but was told that program 'grub' is not installed. It says to type sudo apt-get install grub. I did that and restarted the computer, but it still won't boot without the CD. The screen just displays an error:

Error: no such device: 84de2031-fbf6-435a-b14b-b024638f4ed5
    grub rescue>

Putting the CD in just lets me start in live mode, or install again. Switching back to live mode and opening terminal to try and locate grub, I am told again that it does not exist and tells me i can install it again. I don't think grub is being put on my 150G HDD, but instead the CD for some reason.

I do not know much about commands and code, if someone could just give me a basic step by step walk through on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Redstiza; October 12th, 2012 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Need some help here, new to using Linux.

Thread Moved to Installtions & Upgrades

Welcome,

Please note for future reference; a desciptive thread title will get you far! You can edit this one to something more descriptive by editing the first post then click 'Go Advanced'.

The CD is not writable so that rules that out. From the LiveCD you can install Boot Repair, though, from Software Centre (I think) or if not, all details here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

That would be quickest and easiest if it works. If not, then we dig on ...

BTW, you want grub on sda. Just that, not sda1, 2 etc. If you do a manual partition (Something Else) I think that is where you check where grub is going. It is sometime during install.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 12th, 2012 at 03:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread Moved to Installtions & Upgrades

Welcome,

Please note for future reference; a desciptive thread title will get you far! You can edit this one to something more descriptive by editing the first post then click 'Go Advanced'.

The CD is not writable so that rules that out. From the LiveCD you can install Boot Repair, though, from Software Centre (I think) or if not, all details here:

That would be quickest and easiest if it works. If not, then we dig on ...

BTW, you want grub on sda. Just that, not sda1, 2 etc. If you do a manual partition (Something Else) I think that is where you check where grub is going. It is sometime during install.
    Thanks for replying so quickly, I did not know where to post this in so thanks for moving it also.

So what you're saying is that I need to write another CD for boot repair, it's not on the CD where the installation files are? Just wanted to make sure I don't mind doing that.

I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Beans

I tried to use Boot Repair, it finished and said it was successful, but I still get the error: no such device thing when trying to boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

From Boot-Repair run the BootInfo report and post the link it creates for the report in pastebin.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I can't connect to wireless on that laptop when the boot repair program is running, is that needed? It asked me to when I tried to run the repair part the first time.