Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: upgrade issues

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    54

    Angry upgrade issues

    the problem i posted last friday is this-- upgrading 11.04 to 11.10 but i shut down the computer because it was taking so much time...the pc won't boot a day after i did that..now yesterday, the pc suddenly boot and the features were changed..it transform to 11.10..

    my question which really bothers me is this---can i upgrade it to 12.04 LTS even though i made mistake of shutting it down while on the process of upgrading last week???

    and this-- how come the pc turned to 11.10 if i interrupted the upgrading process??

    **PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!*** THANK YOU VERY MUCH ...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    A nearly identical thing happened to me when I was upgrading from Oneiric to Precise. From what it looked like, the installation locked up and I had no choice but to do a hard shutdown. When I turned it back on, some things were really weird and messed up (like the resolution, the mouse, etc.), but the version was 12.04.

    After my initial panic attack, I sat down at another computer and began Google'ing stuff about botched upgrades/installations and I remember I found 1 site that helped out a lot (I had to do something from the boot menu, but I don't remember what right now). The point is, it seems like the installation began with the critical core components of the version I was upgrading to and then went on to less important things (like settings on applications). So, like me, you probably turned it off after the critical components of the version you were upgrading to were already installed, which is why it seems to work right now.

    My advice would be to stick to 11.10 for a couple of days, run an update to update your software and then go for an upgrade to 12.04. Before you do anything like that, make sure to back up any important files/data you might have. When this happened to me, I learned two lessons the hard way. (1) Never touch any thing or start any other program while in the middle of a version upgrade and (2) stick with the LTS, because upgrades are serious sources of anxiety and stress. I hope this helps you a little and that you eventually find your way safely to 12.04. Peace and have a nice day.
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    54

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    wow.thank you very much sir..
    i looked for updates and i found none..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcka005 View Post
    wow.thank you very much sir..
    i looked for updates and i found none..
    You might also elaborate on how exactly you checked for updates.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    54

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    Quote Originally Posted by bra|10n View Post
    You might also elaborate on how exactly you checked for updates.
    oh i'm sorry i forgot where i saw that one..i'll check it out later, the pc is in use right now..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    54

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcka005 View Post
    oh i'm sorry i forgot where i saw that one..i'll check it out later, the pc is in use right now..
    okay,system info under system settings.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Athens, Alabama
    Beans
    630
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcka005 View Post
    the problem i posted last friday is this-- upgrading 11.04 to 11.10 but i shut down the computer because it was taking so much time...the pc won't boot a day after i did that..now yesterday, the pc suddenly boot and the features were changed..it transform to 11.10..

    my question which really bothers me is this---can i upgrade it to 12.04 LTS even though i made mistake of shutting it down while on the process of upgrading last week???

    and this-- how come the pc turned to 11.10 if i interrupted the upgrading process??

    **PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!*** THANK YOU VERY MUCH ...
    My question for you would be whether or not it is feasible for you to run a Live CD of 12.04 to put on your PC as opposed to trying to go through the upgrade? Once you have successfully burned the image to disc, and boot off the Live CD you should be able to wipe any other OS off the machine and solely load 12.04.

    Clean installs tend to be the way to go so there is no issues that get lost in transition from upgrading from one version to the next. My vote is for the clean install and I believe it will fix your issues.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    54

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    somebody already told me to burn an iso of 12.04 LTS but i was not able to do it..i was kind of scared, i don't know..

    but thanks anyway for the suggestions..Godbless..thankyou very much.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Athens, Alabama
    Beans
    630
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcka005 View Post
    somebody already told me to burn an iso of 12.04 LTS but i was not able to do it..i was kind of scared, i don't know..

    but thanks anyway for the suggestions..Godbless..thankyou very much.
    First off, when you say you were not able to because you were scared, do you mind elaborating on what scares you? I know it can seem like a daunting task when you start with Linux but just know you have a great cast of supporters here in the forum.

    What can we do to help you get 12.04 on your system?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    54

    Re: i don't know what to do...

    Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    First off, when you say you were not able to because you were scared, do you mind elaborating on what scares you? I know it can seem like a daunting task when you start with Linux but just know you have a great cast of supporters here in the forum.

    What can we do to help you get 12.04 on your system?
    uuhhmmm..i've never tried burning a cd..whew..i'm sorry..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •