Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu needs to invest in a Image Edit Program

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu needs to invest in a Image Edit Program

I believe with Ubuntu targeting 2 billion users, niche markets need to be targeted. I hear people saying Mac is for Designers and every designer use it because it offers tools for them. Obviously that is not true, but it makes you wonder that Ubuntu still lacks a great Image editing/manipulation program. Sure Gimp/Krita are great but they don't come close to the feature and usability that photoshop offers. I am not trying to start a Gimp-Photoshop debate here.

I believe that building something like Photoshop or Gimp from ground up requires re-inventing the wheel and investing in something that already exists.

I believe when it comes to Ubuntu and other Gnome-Based Distros, Gimp is the standard Image Editing tool.

What Gimp lacks really is a sense of direction when it comes to features, usability and milestones. Gimp milestones' deadlines slip every now and then. This really isn't a concern of Ubuntu if you think about it.

But what I am suggesting here is:

1. Ubuntu to provide a sort of Incubator for Gimp. Perhaps even a resource or two so that development proceeds swiftly and in a direction that if not compete with programs like Photoshop, then at least provide a decent open-source alternative.
    2. Help projects like Gimp develop a sustenance model, something like Ubuntu Business or providing corporate support. Or perhaps through raising donations. This will again provide motivation for the developer and also pay for their efforts. This might even lead to hiring more resources for the development.

I am not throwing this idea just out there, this thought came to me because of recent developments in Compiz. I, like many others, thought that Compiz was on the deathbed. But Ubuntu included it into Unity and I have just installed version 0.9.7beta1 on my system and I can feel the difference of involvement of an organization as opposed to having no direction.

Also beer in mind I am not suggesting that Gimp/Krita are killer applications. Its not that having these applications will drive people to switch to the operating system. I suggest that having more usability in such application and more completeness will eventually bubble up at the OS level. Windows/Mac users live in this myth that there OS is a complete OS since good complete apps exists. I am talking about taking a look at such applications, mentoring them in a way to give them direction. Something that eventually happened with LibreOffice. It does take a revolution to see the capabilities of an Application. I know many designers which are hooked to Photoshop, but would like to move to Linux. Then using Gimp/Krita is a big step down. So Ubuntu or for that matter any other linux system will never appeal to them.

Let me know what are your thoughts on the same.
    Last edited by mahajanudit; February 19th, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu needs to invest in a Image Edit Program

That would be useful, but if Ubuntu is really serious about attracting more users to the desktop, there are a couple items I would put even higher on the list.

1.) Netflix
    2.) iPods and IPhone compatibility.

I can already hear all the objections, but Shuttleworth is a smart guy. If he can make himself a multi-millioinaire, he can deal with these guys. The idea that Ubuntu is going to be on anyone's TV without the ability to stream Netflix is a joke - either that or I'm not getting something.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    That would be useful, but if Ubuntu is really serious about attracting more users to the desktop, there are a couple items I would put even higher on the list.

1.) Netflix
    2.) iPods and IPhone compatibility.

I can already hear all the objections, but Shuttleworth is a smart guy. If he can make himself a multi-millioinaire, he can deal with these guys. The idea that Ubuntu is going to be on anyone's TV without the ability to stream Netflix is a joke - either that or I'm not getting something.
    Gaming too.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Canonical cares so little about contributing to Gimp that they removed it from their installation iso. In their opinion it's a waste of time for the majority of users.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Canonical cares so little about contributing to Gimp that they removed it from their installation iso. In their opinion it's a waste of time for the majority of users.
    I agree with their decision to allow people to install it themselves if they want to use it. There is no reason to have it installed by default.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As for Netflix - forget it.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/n...support-linux/

Some things are not the responsibility of Ubuntu. and they should not become such. Canonical has no intentions of becoming another Microsoft or Apple. Canonical believes in community. Ubuntu is a distribution built on the work of the Linux community as well as the work of the Ubuntu community.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have a macbook pro and I have to say one of my favourite programs is Pixelmator.

It's basically GIMP but pimped out and streamlined,- it's fantastic.

I'd love to see someone (maybe the Pixelmator folks) do that for linux.

Beans

What exactly is wrong with GIMP that it 'needs' redesigning/rebuilding from the ground up by Canonical?

It's great as it is!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    What exactly is wrong with GIMP that it 'needs' redesigning/rebuilding from the ground up by Canonical?

It's great as it is!
    The most used "Excuse": It looks too much like Photoshop 4.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As for Netflix - forget it.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/n...support-linux/

Some things are not the responsibility of Ubuntu. and they should not become such. Canonical has no intentions of becoming another Microsoft or Apple. Canonical believes in community. Ubuntu is a distribution built on the work of the Linux community as well as the work of the Ubuntu community.

Regards.
    Yeah... I already read that article. So what? I couldn't care less. Businesses are businesses. If Ubuntu wants to be a contender, then Shuttleworth needs to change their mind. As for the blah-bity-blah about "community", or becoming "another MS or Apple", that's cute and all but also has nothing to do with Shuttleworth's 200,000,000 users.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast