Thread: X11VNC on 11.10 (was working with 11.04)

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] X11VNC on 11.10.

EDITED THREAD: Jump to reply #20 for the final outcome, and how to have X11VNC start with your computer and continue listening for a new connection after user logout.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    Ok I did more than my due dilligance and have spent the better part of today searching both this site and the web as a whole

quick rundown: running 11.10 server 32bit with an x desktop (Gnome3). Previous to today was running 11.04 on it. I was able (with NN) to SSH into my box then run VNC with localhost:1 (ssh forwarding 5901 to 5900). Upgraded to OO and can no longer use x11vnc to connect and log in. (or even connect once logged in)
    Am connecting via putty with a key on a Windows box
    have tried UltraVNC and SSVNC with neither doing anything

more detail:
    have tried to manually placing
    Code:
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -nomodtweak
    in both /etc/gdm/Init/Default (where it was and worked in NN) and /etc/rc.local (removing the previous one before I did so as not to have it called twice)
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled x11vnc and x11vnc data
    I have removed vino (share desktops) to see if perhaps the two were fighting
    I have tried to manually run x11vnc from SSH command line and from terminal on the box. (EDIT: about 10% of the time I can get the server started this way with the command sudo x11vnc -localhost -display :0. But on VNC connection I get the end of stream "maybe another user is listening" error).

None of which have allowed a VNC connection

kinda banging my head against the wall. Server is meant to be a keyboardless and mouseless (and monitorless) box. don't need GUI often but when I do, it is often after a reboot, I don't want to have to go into my server room plug a bunch of stuff and log in just so I can reach it via vino every reboot)

not sure what other information I need to provide.

I really hope this doesn't end up being an unanswered question as I'm sure many upgraders are going to encounter this issue.
    Last edited by nergaldicuthah; October 25th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Re: X11VNC on 11.10 (was working with 11.04)

Not sure how to fix it yet, but the problem is that 11.10 doesn't use gdm anymore, it uses lightdm.

Beans

Re: X11VNC on 11.10 (was working with 11.04) & AVIDEMUX

Quote Originally Posted by alexcode View Post
    Not sure how to fix it yet, but the problem is that 11.10 doesn't use gdm anymore, it uses lightdm.
    Is that why AVIDEMUX is missing?
    Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04 & Pupeee Linux

Beans

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it's because x11vnc require authorization (MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE) to connect to the xserver that lightdm is using.

When trying to start x11vnc with sudo add the following to your cmd line..

-auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0

This should allow you to log in using lightdm.

(note in my experience the -forever arg doesn't seem to keep the vnc server running like it should maybe I'm doing something wrong)

Beans

okay so we're on our way

if I ps I get
    Code:
    pstar@computer:~$ ps wwwwaux | grep auth
    root     13745  0.3  0.7  19652  7340 tty7     Ss+  11:18   0:01 /usr/bin/X :0  auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
    pstar    13857  0.0  0.0   4184   796 pts/0    S+   11:23   0:00 grep --color=auto auth
    which does seem to show a similar cookie
    /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

(note that "sudo x11vnc -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0" by itself error'd out as did a few different permutations of my above code plus that)

-forever (pre 11.10) would keep the session until reboot Placing the code in post 1 into GDM (and then trying to add it to LDM) would start the VNC server at boot.

I'm having issue even using VINO in this darn 11.10 upgrade.

is there a way to have to GUI clients (Gnome and LDXE) without having to blow the entire box away, and then to have VNC boot LDXE?

EDIT hmm either I'm not using findauth correct or I may have found part of the issue
    (findauth by itself does nothing)
    but
    Code:
    sudo x11vnc -findauth /var/run/lightdm/root:0
    [: 381: -a: unexpected operator
    Last edited by nergaldicuthah; October 17th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Beans

Hi,

Are you trying to run x11vnc AT ALL or run it at startup?

The /etc/gdm/Init/Default trick doesn't work anymore cause as alexcode said gdm is no more there.
    I'm trying myself to figure out how to start it at startup.

/etc/rc.local is way too early and it fact I get error:

Code:
    18/10/2011 18:55:16 *** XOpenDisplay failed (:0)
    But if you want to run x11vnc, this works (ONLY if you are logged in manually already):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install x11vnc
    sudo x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass
    sudo chmod 644 /etc/x11vnc.pass
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log
    I'm trying to figure out where to place this line to start it at each startup!

Right now I'm looking at:

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

but I don't have any positive result yet.

so does it work for you if you're logged in? So that we can be all on the same page...