Thread: Ubuntu 8.04LTS -> 10.4 Upgrade hung, now system unbootable

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 8.04LTS -> 10.4 Upgrade hung, now system unbootable

Hey everybody. I tried running an upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.4 last night, and things seemed to be going smoothly. The upgrade progress was nearly complete, and I wandered off for a while to let it run. When I came back, I had nothing but an orange screen and and unresponsive system. I left it alone all night with the hopes that something would happen, but this morning nothing had changed so I hard restarted the system.

Ubuntu 10.4 appears in GRUB, but the system cannot boot and exits with a kernel panic and the message "vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block"

I was able to boot to a 10.4 LiveCD, and I can browse all of my files from there.

What can I do to get this system back up an running? I have dozens of user account and a lot of customization (it acts as a webserver with a wiki for a gaming website running on it, among other things), so I really really don't want to do a fresh install and lose all my data and customizations.

help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 8.04LTS -> 10.4 Upgrade hung, now system unbootable

More info - I've attached an screenshot of the error messages I get when I try to boot to recovery mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Which disk/partition is 10.04 on? Were you using a different filesystem (such as Reiser)? It could be a problem with Grub pointing to the wrong partition, or support for the correct filesystem not being compiled in.
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the OS is on sda1 - which should be hd0,0 - it's EXT3, no exotic filesystems

If I try hd0,1, hd1,0, or any others I get "unable to mount" or "partition not found" errors - 0,0 is the only one where it will even attempt to boot

Beans

Depending on your skill level you might benefit from this (particularly post #5):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470597

Although I can't be quite sure what commands you'd need to run without more info. The output of the Boot Info Script would be a good starting point:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd consider my skill level "moderate to low"

I'll check out the boot info script after work. Unfortunately I have to head out now. I'll bump the thread this evening with results