Thread: Symbolic Links

Hybrid View

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Symbolic Links

Does anyone know how the Ubuntu client handles symbolic links? Will it upload the symbolic link or the file it links to?

Because if it uploads the actual file then I could use symbolic links to upload files outside the folder I cannot move (like my knotes folder)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Symbolic Links

Doesn't look like it does. Symlinked an outside folder and Ubuntu One just ignores it completely.

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    Doesn't look like it does. Symlinked an outside folder and Ubuntu One just ignores it completely.
    That sucks, I love symlinks.

But I found a way around that.

For my Knotes (/home/dope/.kde/share/apps/knotes) instead of making "/home/dope/Ubuntu One/My Files/knotes" a symlink to "/home/dope/.kde/share/apps/knotes" I made "/home/dope/.kde/share/apps/knotes" a symlink to "/home/dope/Ubuntu One/My Files/knotes"

Beans

you can probably use hardlinks .. although pretty useless since it doesn't work for directories

Beans

I just received my invitation, and after installing I was a bit disappointed about the symlink thing. Dropbox does work with symlinks.

Is there a reason why ubuntu one doesn't support that? Is it planned to be supported?

It seems eminently useful for backing up / syncing application data (knotes is a good example, but I'd also like to use it for thunderbird, firefox, korganizer and such)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lodp View Post
    I just received my invitation, and after installing I was a bit disappointed about the symlink thing. Dropbox does work with symlinks.

Is there a reason why ubuntu one doesn't support that? Is it planned to be supported?

It seems eminently useful for backing up / syncing application data (knotes is a good example, but I'd also like to use it for thunderbird, firefox, korganizer and such)
    i think they will implement symlinking at some point. but the whole point of u1 is so that you don't need to symlink application data yourself. it will do it for you.
    i know that they are working on contact sync with evolution contacts (it's probably going to be expanded to empathy/pidgin contacts also) and desktop screen sharing.
    at a latter date they could easily implement application settings sync for all of the major desktop app.
    and not to mention that the client is open source so they could also simply provide an API for applications to plugin to so that they don't have to wait for the u1 team to do it for them.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

4 years have passed, and the Ubuntu One team still does not understand why Dropbox is more successful.
    It is SO EASY in Dropbox to make a link to some data/settings and have it backed up. You don't have to think.

Also I like to have a little ecryptfs on there, and I need a link to a directory outside my home, not to the folder in Ubuntu One (which is a popular workaround) because you cannot mount ecryptfs (custom) from within ecryptfs (default encrypted home).

Of course, a typical developer would argue "you can work around this, you can share additional folders, you can specify the location on other computers, etc"

But:
    • You have to sit down and think how to tackle your specific problem.
    • You cannot easily specify the location of a new synced directory on a machine without the control panel (deamon only)
    • You would have to remove the existing local target application folder and store the U1 folder in the new location.
    • This folder will first sync completely (new computer), and then you have to move it out of home and you have to wait again (e.g. encrypted home -> non-encrypted share)
    • "Please choose a folder inside your "/home/redsandro" directory, and not overlapping with any existing cloud folder."

Ubuntu One is giving me acid reflux.

Why waste time postponing ways to handle this (i.e. ignore symlinks) when there is a perfectly fine POSIX equivalent of symbolic links developed in the '60s?

Quote Originally Posted by lodp View Post
    Last edited by Redsandro; March 5th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Windows 7 for Media Production, Ubuntu 12.04/Cinnamon for other work.
    Xubuntu 12.04 as Media Center, CentOS 5.6 as server.
    Linux Mint on my casual laptop, Maemo 5 on my Nokia N900.