Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Today, I was talking to some classmates about Microsoft and Windows, and the freedom you have if you use it. I can't make them believe that Microsoft is crushing freedom. One guy is interested in learning more, but he wants it black on white from a reliable source.

I need you to post links from reliable sources that explain the major freedom issues of using Windows and other Microsoft products like Office. It has to be easy to understand. I'm explaining this to n00bs!

Cheers,

Stalker72

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Well, you can try to show em Window's EULA
    Ubuntu Printer Support | Restricted Formats
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by piousp View Post
    Well, you can try to show em Window's EULA
    Link please?

Stalker72

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is the link directly from Microsoft

Here are some thoughts on Wired

And here is a comparison between GPL and Windows EULA
    Ubuntu Printer Support | Restricted Formats
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans

It's very easy to blame Microsoft for the failure of the Linux community to get Linux recognised.

I think it's time for us Linux people to grab the bull by the horns and compete rather than sitting here whining about Microsoft and freedom all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Linux is failing to promote itself. So let's all attack Microsoft.

I think it's time for us Linux people to grab the bull by the horns and compete rather than sitting here whining about Microsoft.
    i second that motion!
    running UBUNTU 10.10 Kernel Linux 2.6.35-25-generic x86_64

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Last sentence in section 3 is the kicker.

"The Software is licensed, not sold."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker72 View Post
    Today, I was talking to some classmates about Microsoft and Windows, and the freedom you have if you use it. I can't make them believe that Microsoft is crushing freedom. One guy is interested in learning more, but he wants it black on white from a reliable source.

I need you to post links from reliable sources that explain the major freedom issues of using Windows and other Microsoft products like Office. It has to be easy to understand. I'm explaining this to n00bs!

Cheers,

Stalker72
    I'm interested - how exactly does Microsoft crush freedom? What kind of freedom are you discussing? Interesting concept, I'd like to see the points.

Thanks,
    Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I put multiple quotes because they are all relevant and somewhat in the same level...

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    I'm interested - how exactly does Microsoft crush freedom? What kind of freedom are you discussing? Interesting concept, I'd like to see the points.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Microsoft limits use of its software, if you are upgrading the hardware of your PC. Maybe the installed Windows "thinks" that it is installed on another computer, and does not work any more, and forces you to buy another copy. Or maybe you want a newer computer and use the older MS software but you are not allowed to do that: in their vision, you should buy a new MS license, even your older computer is "put to rest", so to speak.

To be fair those license agreements don't mean anything to anyone. Nobody even reads them lol. Most people just do whatever they want on their computer and are happy with that. And they always have the freedom to not use that operating system if they don't want to be 'limited'.
    The fact you don't know the law is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by piousp View Post
    I disagree. License is something you accept or have, and in our world it implies a legal responsability. Maybe a lot of windows users have never read the license, and they could care less. But THATS NOT THE POINT. In fact, i think you are violating your own freedom by not reading the license.
    Yes, the law is enforced as long as it is valid, even if you don't know it.

No, I am saving time by not reading the license. It's not that big a deal because they are not enforced anyway. I'm not going to get into a troll fight with you guys. So let's just agree to disagree and move on.
    Yes you are saving time, by renouncing at your freedom. You think you are safe, but you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehuck View Post
    Those license agreements do mean something in terms of law. The GNU license has been tested in court and is upheld.
    This is good news, GNU licenses finally tested in court.

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    I read the licenses. I never click accept without reading what I am accepting.

I've never found them to be restrictive.
    Oh they are: you can not use one copy on more than one computer, even if you want to transfer it from an older to a newer one, you are limited on the number of processors your computer can have to use it, you are limited to how many connection can be made at a time to your computer, you are limited to how many hardware upgrades can you make to your computer before MS programs and OS's cease to function.

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    nobody forces the user to buy (or to use) windows. it's a business like so many others; and about the anti-freedom and not being open sourced...well most people don't care. for them computers are just tools, not credos, not ideologies. not everyone has the time, the willingness and the passion to fiddle with things so irrelevant to them as programs and operating systems. I've used Linux since 2003, but not because I hate Microsoft or Windows but because I like diversity, change and I wanted to find out more; it's just an alternative, not a religion. at least for me
    Yes, nobody forces now to buy/use windows, but it was a time when the price was included on new computers, even if they came without windows . And Microsoft is exactly against that diversity you speak of: they want only Windows on computers, and only MS Office, no one else should use anything else, and that is their credo and ideology, and maybe they don't have the time, but for sure they have the willingness and passion to fiddle with such things worldwide...
    Last edited by Liviu-Theodor; February 3rd, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
    The Odor
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
    Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast