Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS released
The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS,
the first maintenance release of "Dapper Drake". This release includes
both installable Desktop CDs and alternate text-mode installation CDs
for several architectures, for Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu. Xubuntu is
also included, although commercial support for it is not available from
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast
and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent
packages installed by default, every other package you can imagine
available with a few clicks from a global network of mirrors, and
professional commercial technical support from Canonical Ltd and
hundreds of other companies around the world.
To Get Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS
Download Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06.1 LTS here:
Rest of the World:
Rest of the World:
Rest of the World:
To burn these CD images, you will need 700MB media.
Shipit will be updated within approximately the next month with Ubuntu
6.06.1 LTS. To receive a complimentary copy of the Official Ubuntu
6.06.1 LTS CD -- or a handful of them to give to your friends, your
school or LUG -- place your request at the relevant URL below.
About Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS
This is the first maintenance release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, which
continues to be supported with maintenance updates and security fixes
until June 2009 (on desktops) and June 2011 (on servers).
Over 300 post-release updates have been pre-applied, so that fewer
updates will need to be downloaded after installation, and a number of
bugs in the installation system have been corrected. These include
security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a
focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
We do not expect that certifications against Ubuntu 6.06 LTS will need
to be updated for this maintenance release.
See http://www.ubuntu.com/usn for a list of Ubuntu security updates. All
updates to date affecting packages on the CD have been applied.
Some other particularly notable updates, with bug references where
available (see http://bugs.ubuntu.com/) are as follows:
* Many fixes to the desktop CD installer, including a crash when
installing in Chinese but with a non-Chinese-speaking country
(#47687), issuing a warning in the partitioner if /boot is on XFS
(#47848) or system partitions are not reformatted (#47046), a crash
if packages on the running live session are unconfigured (#47859), a
crash with certain kinds of disk attached (#48732), more defence
against gparted/qtparted crashing (#47194, #48856), improved handling
of going back and forward in the advanced partitioner, and many more,
along with translation updates.
* Fix Kickstart support to handle disabling the root password correctly
* Fix line continuation handling in installer preseed files (#47767).
* Translations of "Install in text mode" on the CD boot loader now
* Fix handling of /isolinux/lang file, used to customise the CD boot
loader, for Chinese and Portuguese.
* Fix gparted crash if xfs_db fails (#50909).
* Fix CD-ROM booting on sparc64 (#40119).
* Add support for automatic discovery of SBus devices when installing
* Most of GNOME 2.14.3 has been incorporated, including a fix for
evince's failure to open PDF files on FTP servers (#47201), improved
eog print output (#3673), fixed double fade in gnome-screensaver
(#35051), making sure screensavers don't run while on battery
(#39908), corrected OpenOffice.org file associations (#49417), a fix
for a serious memory leak in gnome-cups-icon (#45406), stopping the
icon selection dialog from closing while entering a path (#45819), a
fix for a large memory leak in pango affecting dia (#52274), more
stable track switching in rhythmbox (#49714), and many other
conservative bug fixes.
* Correct handling of keys for signed archives in gnome-app-install.
* Fix 32-bit compatibility Qt libraries on amd64 systems.
* Fix crash in kde-guidance if a user has no real name set (#47317).
* Fix kopete hang that could cause the Kubuntu desktop to hang when
right-clicking on desktop icons (#43065).
* Fix detection of KDE in the language selector.
* Upgrade kopete's ICQ protocol version (part of
* Fix mixer icon.
* Fix menu editor crash leaving an empty menu (#47776).
* redhat-cluster-suite no longer starts/restarts the daemon on install
or update, which caused the suite to fail to install (#47645).
* Fix infinite loop in nbd-server child processes that filled up syslog
* Fix disappearance of IMAP subfolders in dovecot on systems upgraded
from Ubuntu 5.10 (#51038).
* Updated translations of Ubuntu documentation.
* Improved language of Kubuntu release notes (#48525).
* Translations of many packages have been updated, thanks to the
Rosetta translation system (https://launchpad.net/rosetta).
* pcmcia-cs avoids a hang on upgrades from Ubuntu 5.10 on certain
* TeX hyphenation repaired (#36145).
* Improve wpa_supplicant's integration with our networking stack.
* Improve pbuilder's dependencies (#40613).
* acpi-support no longer unloads the nsc-ircc IrDA driver on suspend.
* Fix unusable button 2 for users of the EmulateWheelTimeout option in
xorg.conf on Thinkpads with 3-button trackpoints (#38272).
* Additions to the dapper-commercial channel in Add/Remove Applications
(RealPlayer, desktop-multiplier, Opera).
* Updated cupsys to upstream bugfix release 1.2.2, fixing many bugs
(including #42513, #42802, #44931, #47387, #48116, #51432, and part
* Fix pmount crash in certain locales, including Estonian (#49655).
* xdmx-tools is no longer an empty package.
Helping Shape Ubuntu
If you would like to help shape Ubuntu, take a look at the list of ways
you can participate at
If you have a question, or if you think you may have found a bug but
aren't sure, try asking on the #ubuntu channel on IRC.FreeNode.net, on
the Ubuntu Users mailing list, or on the Ubuntu forums:
You can find out more about Ubuntu on our websites:
To sign up for future Ubuntu announcements, please subscribe to Ubuntu's
very low volume announcement list at:
Colin Watson [cjwatson (AT) ubuntu (DOT) com]
ubuntu-announce mailing list
ubuntu-announce (AT) lists (DOT) ubuntu.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Colin Watson <cjwatson (AT) debian (DOT) org> -- Debian developer
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----