Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Install

Printable View

Attempts:

Post Install:

Code:

sudo dpkg -i skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.47-1_amd64.deb
Comments:
Unity was definitely designed for mono tasking on low resolution screens where the user runs the applications maximized. I disliked the following:

What I liked about Unity:

Conclusion:
The Classic Gnome 2.32.1 session is running quite well-both stable and fast. In previous releases, I used to crash lots of little apps during beta testing, but so far the crashes have mostly been related to installs. Starcraft runs without a hitch, though I still have to use custom xorg.files to run SC on my external monitor in the 640x480 resolution. See the attached xorg.conf files if interested.Attachment 187932

A few bugs that appeared in 10.10 are fixed in 11.04 (calendar pop when clicking the clock on the bottom panel displays correctly again).

The method for re-installing packages from a previous release also worked without issue:

Create a package list on the old machine:
Code:

dpkg --get-selections > ~/pkgs
Copy the pkgs file to the home directory of the new machine, then run:
Code:

dpkg --set-selections < ~/pkgs
sudo apt-get -u  dselect-upgrade

• April 3rd, 2011
    vsteel
    Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Install
    Very nice writeup Darin. How hard is it from a fresh install to install the rest of Gnome so you can bypass Unity?
  • April 4th, 2011
    darinmiller
    Gnome is already installed. To enable Gnome, one must select their username from the login menu, then at the bottom of the login screen, extra login options appear. Selecting Ubuntu Classic = Gnome. Ubuntu remembers which UI was used and auto selects the last used interface for subsequent logins.
  • July 31st, 2011
    slavinzing56
    Very nice writeup Darin