PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error while updating

mangkusapi
December 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
dear all,

i am a newbie on linux ubuntu..im using ubuntu Linux 8.10. while updating, there is an error on E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic_2.6.27-7.16_i386.deb: unable to make backup link of `./boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic' before installing new version

because of this, there are several application failed to updating. please help me to fixed this problem. thanks

lemming465
December 4th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Run df -m and df -i to check that you have both free disk space and free inodes on /var. Run sudo apt-get clean to clean out the offending cached packages, and then retry sudo apt-get update to refresh your package lists and sudo apt-get upgrade to install the pending stuff. If that doesn't solve it, write back with any error messages you got.

Ricardus
December 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm having similar problems. I had a few packages that said they didn't install properly during the install, and the installer itself said it was aborting near the very end of the install, but my machine it running, and it says it's running version 8.04.1.

However there is one greyed out package that it won't install. Here was the last command I executed at the advice of someone up here:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
libgtk1.2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Why is that package being "kept back" ??

lemming465
December 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Why is {libgtk1.2} being "kept back" ??
Beats me. Does sudo apt-get upgrade --fix-broken improve the situation any?

Ricardus
December 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
No, it didn't fix it.

sudo apt-get upgrade --fix-broken

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
libgtk1.2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.