PDA

View Full Version : Build around Mobo or CPU?

Frak
December 2nd, 2008, 04:37 AM
I've always wondered this. I've been fond of buying all my parts around my CPU, but there are people who buy around their motherboard, graphics, accessory, etc. What do you build around?

Let's also speak of Operating System neutral terms. I'll gladly talk price-wise, as that is a buying tactic, but no OS for now.

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
I build around the motherboard. The motherboard pretty much /is/ the PC. You can replace CPUs, hard drives, etc, without much change but changing the motherboard means you might have to get new peripherals or something.

Polygon
December 3rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
you have to build around the motherboard. the motherboard determines what cpu you can get, what gfx card you can get, what type of memory to buy, etc.

CholericKoala
December 3rd, 2008, 02:05 AM
I build around Video cards, so you need a pci x16 slot on your mobo, and CPU, so you need a 775 lga intel slot on your mobo. Other than that, theres just ddr2 ram

Frak
December 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
you have to build around the motherboard. the motherboard determines what cpu you can get, what gfx card you can get, what type of memory to buy, etc.

Well, I say I want a Phenom, so I have to buy an AM2+ motherboard. You can buy around the Processor too.

I build around Video cards, so you need a pci x16 slot on your mobo, and CPU, so you need a 775 lga intel slot on your mobo. Other than that, theres just ddr2 ram

Or AMD AM2, AM2+, and AM3 (I believe some other slot mobo's have PCIe x16 (2.0), oh, and slot 478 also support it.) Remember, the slot type doesn't impact processor type.

CholericKoala
December 3rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Or AMD AM2, AM2+, and AM3 (I believe some other slot mobo's have PCIe x16 (2.0), oh, and slot 478 also support it.) Remember, the slot type doesn't impact processor type.

I mean that if you want a 775 processor, you can only get a 775 slot for processors on your mobo. Some have combinations, but some dont.

Frak
December 3rd, 2008, 02:32 AM
I mean that if you want a 775 processor, you can only get a 775 slot for processors on your mobo. Some have combinations, but some dont.
Ah, ok, clear now.

BGFG
December 3rd, 2008, 02:39 AM
I think in our case it's a combination, CPU or MOBO, we look for the best combination of the two then proceed to build a machine.

I myself would find the best phenom or i7 then look for a MOBO with a high BUS, high memory limit, and lots of SATA headers.

Skripka
December 3rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I build around the motherboard. The motherboard pretty much /is/ the PC. You can replace CPUs, hard drives, etc, without much change but changing the motherboard means you might have to get new peripherals or something.

Ditto.

Always worry about Mobo first. It determines everything.

A CPU you can upgrade. A GPU you can upgrade. RAM you can upgrade. All these can be upgraded quite painlessly.

Upgrading motherboards-means a total reinstall of your Linux OS.....you don't have to--but odds are video/audio/etc will not work right; and the easiest least painful thing to do is start your OS partition over.

Icehuck
December 3rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
I build around my currents needs for the machine. When I get an idea of what that is, I think about what type of processor and how much ram I'm going to need. I find the processor that fits my purpose, then find the motherboard that will support it. Once I have the board and cpu determined I build everything else around the board.

CholericKoala
December 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Why would you build around the motherboard? You get what you want first and then choose the motherboard that allows you to get that stuff. Choosing the mobo first is limiting your choices.

notwen
December 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM

Every PC I've built, I started out by picking my my motherboard to match my needs/wants out of the machine. I think nathan took the words right out of my mouth. =]

Paqman
December 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Why would you build around the motherboard? You get what you want first and then choose the motherboard that allows you to get that stuff. Choosing the mobo first is limiting your choices.

Your choices are always going to be limited by something, no matter which way you work it.

I'd image starting with the mobo is a pretty common way to do it for Linux users, since it's the component that's most sensitive to what OS you use.

I rarely built machines from scratch, I tend to keep upgrading existing ones, but when I do I start with a mobo/CPU pairing and go from there.

Luke has no name
December 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I build knowing what socket I want, but I usually shop for the motherboard and CPU in tandem.

insane_alien
December 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
i kind of build it around what i need from a computer at the time.

i can't really say i build it round any one component its more of a mixture.

gn2
December 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
If I'm starting from scratch with new parts, after first choosing a case and PSU, the CPU gets chosen next, then a motherboard and RAM to suit.

So I voted other. Case & PSU are the first to get picked.

conundrumx
December 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
When I'm building a new machine it comes down to four things: RAM type, CPU, GPU possiblities and motherboard. For example, right now I'd look for DDR3/LGA775/two PCI-E/SATA3, sound, gigabit and plenty of USB.

hessiess
December 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
If I'm starting from scratch with new parts, after first choosing a case and PSU, the CPU gets chosen next, then a motherboard and RAM to suit.

So I voted other. Case & PSU are the first to get picked.
As far as performance goes, the case is essentially useless get the cheepist one you can find :p

Personally I choose the CPU, then spend a few days digging through Linux mobo compatibility reviews.

mips
December 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
As far as performance goes, the case is essentially useless get the cheepist one you can find :p

Not true and it all depends on what levels of noise you want to live with for some.

geoken
December 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Obviously CPU. I choose the CPU I want to run, then find the best mobo (in my price range) which will support that CPU.

gn2
December 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Not true and it all depends on what levels of noise you want to live with for some.

Not forgetting that the case design determines the all important airflow which will has a big part to play in overall performance.
Not enough air exchange and a high performance set of components will soon grind to a halt.

Then there's the PSU which is arguably the single most important component in any PC.

Still, what do I know, I've only been custom building PC's for seven years.

Icehuck
December 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Not forgetting that the case design determines the all important airflow which will has a big part to play in overall performance.
Not enough air exchange and a high performance set of components will soon grind to a halt.

Then there's the PSU which is arguably the single most important component in any PC.

Actually airflow is completely irrelevant provided their is adequate cooling. Don't believe me? Proof (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html)

While yes the PSU is important in the sense that you can't run a computer without power, but you can't run it without a motherboard either. Nor can you use a machine without a processor or some sort of output interface.

I would never build my machine based on my power supply. I base the power supply on the components I am going to be using.

gn2
December 4th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Actually airflow is completely irrelevant provided their is adequate cooling. Don't believe me? Proof (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html)

While yes the PSU is important in the sense that you can't run a computer without power, but you can't run it without a motherboard either. Nor can you use a machine without a processor or some sort of output interface.

I would never build my machine based on my power supply. I base the power supply on the components I am going to be using.

Air cooling is dependant on air exchange.
Immersion in oil is a neat idea but hardly practical.
A Zalman TNN case is perhaps a more practical option, but very expensive.

As for PSU's, a good quality PSU, something like a Seasonic or a Corsair is definitely well worth it, obviously select one with adequate capacity.
You wouldn't want a cheap PSU to give up the ghost and take your motherboard and CPU with it...... Or would you?

Icehuck
December 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Air cooling is dependant on air exchange.
Immersion in oil is a neat idea but hardly practical.
A Zalman TNN case is perhaps a more practical option, but very expensive.

As for PSU's, a good quality PSU, something like a Seasonic or a Corsair is definitely well worth it, obviously select one with adequate capacity.
You wouldn't want a cheap PSU to give up the ghost and take your motherboard and CPU with it...... Or would you?

Ok, so you build your machine around the brand of the PSU? What about the correct wattage or how about the atx/btx connectors? Sure I buy a good PSU but I definitely don't let it dictate what components go in my machine.

solitaire
December 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I'm planning my current system based on Motherboard.
It's got to be small and have HDMI since it's going to be the basis for a "HD Satalite PVR" system.. :D
Going to plug it in to a small 22" 1080p Monitor for my room :D

gn2
December 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Ok, so you build your machine around the brand of the PSU? What about the correct wattage or how about the atx/btx connectors? Sure I buy a good PSU but I definitely don't let it dictate what components go in my machine.

Where have I said that the PSU dictates what components I use in any of my posts?
All I have stated is that when I build a PC I start by choosing the case and PSU.
Obiously I will choose the size of PSU to match the use the PC will be put to.
BTX died a death, I certainly haven't seen any BTX motherboards on sale, have you?

mfarquhar
December 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM
CPU/MOBO Combo.

since I'm fond of Intel, I just start looking at boards with an LGA 775 and then the appropriate chipset I need for the proc I want (needed one that worked with the quad-cores for my latest build) and expandability for later.

I had actually bought the Case and PSU a few months before I *really* got going on the build, but that's because I got a good deal on the case, knew what PSU I wanted, and neither of those parts age out nearly as fast as the others like the chip

fedex1993
December 4th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I say i start building with the case size, then motherboard then cpu then gpu then power supply then cd drives and then hard drives.

kjb34
December 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I like to do it around a mobo CPU combo then go from there.

mips
December 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Lol, me beats you so I probably know less. First PC I built was in 1997 with AMD k6. In those days you did not have much choice when it came to cases, psu & fans. Come to think of it all the PC's I've ever built used AMD up to a few months ago when I did my first Intel PC.

3rdalbum
December 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I think you generally build around the CPU. If you find a motherboard that ticks all the boxes for you but it only supports AMD processors, then you can usually find something just as good for Intel processors. And vice-versa.

Most people build based around CPU, at the moment.

lswest
December 4th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Actually, I choose the CPU first, then choose a good motherboard, and build around the combination. However, the last PC I build I neglected a second PCI x16 slot for a SLI configuration for my gfx cards, since I didn't have the money, and I plan on upgrading it later on, so I'll just buy a new motherboard then (might upgrade RAM and such at the time as well).

I always have to work with price restraints though :P My buy-tactic is more bang for the buck :P

Rocket2DMn
December 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm surprised to see so few votes for a combination. While it seems easy to judge a computer by a single component, like processor, mobo, or RAM, it's just not that simple. Even if you have great components in all sectors, you could still be getting a performance loss because of small incompatibilities - and don't buy dirt cheap hardware even if they claim to be the same. Granted, generic hardware can perform well, there are some areas you just shouldn't skimp in - namely mobo, processor, RAM, hard drive, and video card since these make up the heart of your system.

I like to start by deciding what type of processor I want, and often look at competing hardware. Example: I want to spend X amount on a processor, so I can get THIS intel or THAT amd processor - now look at the benchmarks of the two. Raw speed, power consumption, price, and benchmark performance all make a difference and should be weighed against eachother. Then look at motherboards that can be used with them - are they priced fairly? Do you get the best performance possible with them? What type of RAM do they take - can you max that RAM's speed and are there enough slots to match your anticipated RAM size requirements? Do the boards have integrated video, ethernet, audio (which do you want or not want?)?

From there you can choose video cards, hard drives, and other peripherals since they are more standardized between boards and have common interfaces (PCIe, SATA, PCI, etc...). If you want very specific peripherals, like SLI video cards, then you are more limited with your motherboard choices.

HTH.

Oh and PS: Get a good power supply! It is one of the most underrated and overlooked components in your system (often comes packages with a tower).

geoken
December 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I like to start by deciding what type of processor I want, and often look at competing hardware. Example: I want to spend X amount on a processor, so I can get THIS intel or THAT amd processor - now look at the benchmarks of the two. Raw speed, power consumption, price, and benchmark performance all make a difference and should be weighed against eachother. Then look at motherboards that can be used with them - are they priced fairly? Do you get the best performance possible with them? What type of RAM do they take - can you max that RAM's speed and are there enough slots to match your anticipated RAM size requirements? Do the boards have integrated video, ethernet, audio (which do you want or not want?)?

It seems like you're trying to 'force' the motherboard argument. Whether you choose Intel or AMD, you're going to find virtually identical motherboards on both sides. I've never found myself in a situation where I was second guessing a processor decision because I couldn't find a motherboard which met all my criteria. The only exception is RAM type, and even that isn't motherboard dependent since newer chips all have onboard memory controllers thus tying RAM type to the cpu and not the motherboard.

geoken
December 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM

I think your missing the point. The question is 'what component do you build around'? It's basically asking, what component acts as the starting point which influences you other decisions.

For me case and PSU are last because their job is to accommodate the components I bought, not influence the components I can buy. If I found a sweet deal on some Nvidia sli cards, I'm not going to turn it down because the PSU wont support them, rather I'll adjust the PSU based on the components I've chosen.

Rocket2DMn
December 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
It seems like you're trying to 'force' the motherboard argument. Whether you choose Intel or AMD, you're going to find virtually identical motherboards on both sides. I've never found myself in a situation where I was second guessing a processor decision because I couldn't find a motherboard which met all my criteria. The only exception is RAM type, and even that isn't motherboard dependent since newer chips all have onboard memory controllers thus tying RAM type to the cpu and not the motherboard.

The key line I gave is

Raw speed, power consumption, price, and benchmark performance all make a difference and should be weighed against eachother.

The processor is the most powerful part so it's really the best place to start thinking, but your choice is dependent on the other components that go with it, and its performance with them. I didn't say that once you choose a processor you can't stick with it, but you need to stop and consider alternative combinations of components - that is why I said the combination option is the best route to follow when building a computer.
It is true that many motherboards are similar, but no motherboard is identical, and you still need to look at the RAM types and speed that motherboards support (among other things). There may be fewer RAM choices now due to standardization of type and speed and motherboards may be a little more flexible than they used to be, but you still need to check that what a board supports is compatible with what you want and what the best combination with your other hardware.

Chame_Wizard
December 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Always around Mobo and CPU:popcorn:.

gn2
December 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I think your missing the point. The question is 'what component do you build around'? It's basically asking, what component acts as the starting point which influences you other decisions.

For me case and PSU are last because their job is to accommodate the components I bought, not influence the components I can buy. If I found a sweet deal on some Nvidia sli cards, I'm not going to turn it down because the PSU wont support them, rather I'll adjust the PSU based on the components I've chosen.

I look on PC building differently, mostly I build PC's for other people so the first thing to decide is the budget.
Next I ask what tasks the PC will be used for.

Once I know how much the budget is and what tasks the PC needs to be capable of I select components based on price, with reliability and quality taking precedence over performance.

As prices vary from week to week I have no parts that I stick to apart from the PSU which is always a Seasonic or Corsair, RAM is always Corsair, hard drives are always Samsung and I prefer to use Antec cases.

So I guess rather than build around core components I start from the outside and work in, which is perhaps a very different way of doing things from the mainstream amateur PC enthusiast.

Corfy
December 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I build knowing what socket I want, but I usually shop for the motherboard and CPU in tandem.

I voted for CPU, but I have to say that this is probably a better description of how I buy. I pretty much know ahead of time that I want an AMD processor, so I look for AMD socket motherboards, but I typically choose the motherboard before choosing the actual processor.

The memory, soundcard, and video card are dependent upon the motherboard.

sunoccard
December 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
i recently finished a block, and had centered around the CPU and Graphics, those two things are what i use to then tell what type of board do i need. Imposing those two limit narrows down the chioces but still laeves a fair deal of room to choose between the remainders, and it has worked out so far rather well:)