PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 - 8.10 upgrade: some packages uninstalled

xxxxme
December 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
When I try to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10, either over the Internet or with the script on the cd image, I'm told a number of packages that I definitely want will be uninstalled. Many of these are KDE packages. While I don't have Kubuntu or a KDE meta-package installed, I did say specifically to install these packages a while back. Non-KDE packages that will be uninstalled include things such as cups and my printer drivers!

How do I either have these packages updated to the latest version, as the others will be, have them automatically re-installed when the upgrade to 8.10 is over, or have them ignored altogether?

I really don't want to have to take the list of packages to be uninstalled, manually figure out which ones I want to keep, and, after the 8.04-8.10 upgrade is finished, manually tell apt-get to install them.

cariboo
December 2nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
In a case like yours where the updates want to remove programs, I would use:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

to do updates until all the dependencies are met for the programs that are marked for removal.

The above command must be run in a Applications-->Accessorties-->Terminal.

Jim

xxxxme
December 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
In a case like yours where the updates want to remove programs, I would use:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

to do updates until all the dependencies are met for the programs that are marked for removal.

The above command must be run in a Applications-->Accessorties-->Terminal.

Jim

That sounds useful. How would I install 8.10 using that? Currently, it only looks at 8.04 packages.

xxxxme
December 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
<bump>