PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good text editor (programming)

jbrown96
December 2nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
I may sound like a traitor, but please bear with me. I have replaced, temporarily, my Kubuntu installation with Fedora 10. I have to say that Kde4 is much better put together. However, I can't find kate. It's not in the repos, and I can't find any information. The kate website doesn't help much, and I can't even find the source for it. I'd rather not go that route either.

I need to find a good text editor that has good markup for programming, particularly for C and C++. The things that I really miss from Kate (I'm using Gedit) are:

1) Background highlighting to distinguish functions
2) The ability to collapse functions (very nice as I finish parts of assignments)
3) The brace-bolding to tell when I have open code blocks.

Thanks

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
You're not "a traitor", don't worry. Use what works for you, that's what I do :). Kate does have a KDE4 version, btw. Try running 'kwrite' or something.

jbrown96
December 2nd, 2008, 04:20 AM
haha. I was just kidding about the traitor. I tried kwrite, but it's no better than gedit. It doesn't have any of the great highlighting modes that kate does.

cardinals_fan
December 2nd, 2008, 04:28 AM
I personally use vim for scripting (and everything else). Geany is a good lightweight IDE; perhaps it might fit the bill.

ddnev45
December 2nd, 2008, 04:28 AM
I've started using Geany in openbox and Fvwm; very similar to Kate.

Rokurosv
December 2nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
I use Geany too and let me tell you is great, it has collapsable blocks, fully customizable snippets, compiler, terminal, and a lot more functions.

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Another Geany user here :). Geany is a good editor, trust me.

Kingsley
December 2nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
I'm pretty sure kate is included in kdesdk.

yum install kdesdk

sujoy
December 2nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Emacs is the answer.
*runs for cover* :tongue:

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Learn to use vim. You'll never go back.

itsStephen
December 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Netbeans (www.netbeans.org)

Downloaded it a few days ago and it's the best I've ever used on Linux (I still loved PHP Designer on Windows) but netbeans can also do other languages including C and C++.

OutOfReach
December 2nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Another vote for Geany here.
It has enough features for me. And it is very lightweight.

hessiess
December 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
+1 for Vim ;)

bvm
December 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I'm going to be the lone voice and say

SCITE

jbrown96
December 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure kate is included in kdesdk.

yum install kdesdk
Lifesaver. Thanks a ton, although I've been working so hard that I managed to finish before I came back to the thread.
Thanks for all the replies. I installed Geany and will give it a try.
I've never really understood using Vi for programming. I almost exclusively edit config scripts using it, but I can't imagine using it for large projects. Anyone care to share why they use Vi? I've heard there are the scripting is very powerful, but 1) I don't know what that means and 2) how much of an improvement does it provide?
Maybe someone could point me to a guide. I'm not looking for really basic stuff; as I said, I use it to make simple mods to files. I'm looking for a guide to really use the power of it.

Thanks again.

Rokurosv
December 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well I don't use vi too much, Vim on the other hand is very useful, I use it from time to time when I'm not doing PHP or HTML. If you're going for Vim I suggest you take a look at Cream http://cream.sourceforge.net/

adityakavoor
December 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Maybe someone could point me to a guide. I'm not looking for really basic stuff; as I said, I use it to make simple mods to files. I'm looking for a guide to really use the power of it.

http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim