PDA

View Full Version : Why are you who you are? Your username

sofasurfer
December 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Do you ever wonder, while browsing the forums, why some of the thread posters are named what they are named? Some of the names are really interesting and make me wonder where the name came from. Others defy my attempt to figure out their origin.

So, why don't you tell us why you are who you are? I'll start...

sofasurfer...comes from 1995 or thereabous. I could not afford my first computer and even if I could, computers seemed really technical and out of my leaque at the time. But then I heard about Webtv and I bought one. It had a wireless keyboard and I could sit on the couch and surf the internet which was displayed on the TV. To tell the truth, I think I saw someone else on the net named sofasurfer and I liked it and decided to use it for my name. After I got a computer I kept the name. Today I once again am surfering on the sofa with a wireless keyboard and mouse and my pc is on a small cart running a wireless internet connection, so it can be wheeled to where ever the more comfortable place is, usually the couch.

So, why are you who you are?

jimi_hendrix
December 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM
i am jimi hendrix and i approve this message

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM
RiceMonster, thought it sounded funny like 5 years ago. Been using it for online accounts ever since. No meaning behind it.

Sealbhach
December 2nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/sbg/lorg.php?facal=sealbhach&seorsa=Gaidhlig&tairg=Lorg

See the year 767

http://myducksoup.com/scotland/history/index.shtml

Just a random name I picked.

I-75
December 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM
I-75 is a nearby highway.

sisco311
December 2nd, 2008, 02:38 AM
i thought sisco is the short form of Francisco(ferenc-hu,francisc-ro)[my real name.]
311 is a semi-random number

cardinals_fan
December 2nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Mine's a real tough one...

CJ Master
December 2nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
Well I'm game programing hobbiest, and one of my first games was about a character which I named Cj. 'nuff said. :P

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Mine is my name. I'll leave you to figure out where to split it between first and last ;)

bufsabre666
December 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
im a huge sabres fan and contrary to popular belief 666 nothing to do with anything religious, its just a number i won a raffle with and the person made a joke that i won with the most unlucky number, been using this as my tag since i was 12

sledge73
December 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I used to demo houses & a sledge was my tool of choice & "73" is when I was born.

vegetarianshrimp
December 2nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
no, it has nothing to do with shrimp made out of tofu!

Im vegetrian, and as little as a shrimp...what can I say?..

OutOfReach
December 2nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
At the time when I chose my username I was generally very hard to get a hold of, according to friends. I either had no service on my cellphone or just didnt hear it ring. And I would only go on IM once a day on a rare occasion. The only real way to get a hold of me was to come knocking on my door....

Of course, times have changed, and now I am more easier to get a hold of. :)

mwalimu54
December 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Mwalimu is the Swahili word for teacher (I teach Junior High). Fifty-four is totally random, but it sounds nice.

bsharp
December 2nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
'b' is the first letter of my first name, and 'sharp' is my last name.

I have no imagination. :(

Newuser1111
December 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
So, why don't you tell us why you are who you are?I have the name Newuser1111 because I didn't think I was going to be here very long. (I've been here longer than I expected.)
The 1111 doesn't mean anything.

Tux Aubrey
December 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Just plain "Aubrey" was already taken.

Captain Jack Aubrey RN (of the "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'Brian) is my favorite fictional character and I had already gimped the tux avatar.

gettinoriginal
December 2nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
I was having trouble finding one that wasn't taken and a friend told me to get original, so here I am :)

Twilight in Zero
December 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
I live near Cinci too. Small world, huh? :)

My username is a reference to Kingdom Hearts II, more specifically, the character DiZ, or Ansem the Wise. DiZ is an acronym standing for Darkness in Zero. Being one who likes the unity of light and darkness, I decided to replace "Darkness" with "Twilight" and make that name my own. It also contracts to TiZ when I don't want to use such a long flippin' username.

dizee
December 2nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
It's a nickname of sorts.

Nothing to do with dizzee rascal, didn't even know who he was at the time.

I was never much good at coming up with user names anyway.

doas777
December 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to disclose my username, nor its origins.

wait... crap....

73ckn797
December 2nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
The first car I bought was a new 1973 VW Super Beetle, hence the "73". The license plate was "CKN797". You can figure the rest out. Cannot remember any other license plate from then till now. That includes the current vehicle I drive.

I-75
December 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
I live near Cinci too. Small world, huh? :)

I have seen a few Cinci area people here.

bsharp
December 2nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
The first car I bought was a new 1973 VW Super Beetle, hence the "73". The license plate was "CKN797". You can figure the rest out. Cannot remember any other license plate from then till now. That includes the current vehicle I drive.

Of course! Why didn't I figure that out before?

;)

geo909
December 2nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
'b' is the first letter of my first name, and 'sharp' is my last name.

I have no imagination. :(

It's a common think a jazz/blues piece to start on B flat
because it's easier for the saxophone. I would say you were a jazz cat but I guess it is a coincidence. :)

bsharp
December 2nd, 2008, 04:04 AM
Lol yes it is a coincidence.

I listen to metal \m/

Swagman
December 2nd, 2008, 04:20 AM
Strewth... Buggered if I know.

73ckn797
December 2nd, 2008, 04:22 AM
Of course! Why didn't I figure that out before?

;)

I know, it really is very simple.

I guess that B# is really easy to C :guitar:

Pun intended!

sambita
December 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Becuase of my last name, Sambarino. Actually most of my friends call me samba, but i figured if i used Samba as my nickname here everyone would have thought i was sort of a master of the Samba suite for SMB/CIFS clients(nothing further from the truth). lol

sofasurfer
December 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
>Originally Posted by I-75 View Post
>I-75 is a nearby highway.

I live about 7 miles from I-75 in Flint, Michigan

Dr Small
December 2nd, 2008, 04:32 AM
The Hoosier Schoolmaster was once my favorite book; The villian, of whom I liked because of his cool, calm, striking character, was named Dr. Small. Thence, I took his name, as I liked the sound of it.

So, in reality, I am neither a doctor nor small.
But I have used that name exclusively everywhere across the net for the last several years, and I have yet to find a more suiting name that I actually like. So it stays.

Rokurosv
December 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Well it's from an anime character from Black Lagoon named Rokuro Okajima, I liked the character so I picked his name and added sv at the end cause I'm from El Salvador and those are the initials you find in my country's domain names.

Frak
December 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
I was a serious gamer when I was 5. When I went to nationals to compete against the super player, I couldn't spell "frag" and I accidentally spelled "frak".

He then turned into a fire-breathing dragon where I was forced to slay him with my power-glove. Since then, I kept the name.

True story, btw.

MysticEdge
December 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Fascinating...

Since I was a young lad, I've always wanted a nickname. Well after a nineteen year long search for one that stuck and people actually called me by, I finally came across Edge. It worked like a charm, and when creating my Gmail account, I obviously needed something to make it a little more specific, and mystic(al) happened to be my favorite adjective/noun at the time. So viola! MysticEdge

bsharp, I've known two other people with the last name sharp, and they have similar online persona's. Gsharp, and Csharp. I think you were just destined(or doomed) when you were born into your family, and your parents gave you a name that started with a letter that corresponds to the musical scale.

davidgypsy
December 2nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
My name is David and I live in a caravan... really.

I wanted to leave
December 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
No it's not a reflection of undergarment size whatsoever... :lolflag:

BRA-10N is my car license plate (Opel Calibra)

eternalnewbee
December 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
After having spent about 4 years using Ubuntu, and still only having scratched the surface of Linux, I figured this would probably be appropriate.

ryry46d9
December 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
first name Ryan. Get called RyRy alot I'm sure the rest will follow

toupeiro
December 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Toupeiro is Portuguese for Mole, which was a nickname given to me by an ex-Girlfriend, but I started going by toupeiro instead of sparticus414 some years back and it just stuck and I never changed it. I stopped using sparticus414 because its a handle I've used since the BBS days and I wanted to change it up. I still use it in some places, but I almost entirely go by toupeiro online now.

Cresho
December 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
:popcorn:

blakjesus
December 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
My nickname was beyond my control. Some people say that i look like a black version of jesus, so eventually they started calling me 'Black Jesus'. I don't really know what made me take the 'c' out of it, but yea thats where it came from.

xpod
December 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3928534

NWAdawg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
NWAdawg = North West Arkansas, dawg has been my nickname for as long as I can remember (to many years to count).

djsroknrol
December 2nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
This guy came into the studio I was working at and said "DJ's rock and roll"...the rest is history :lolflag:

Delever
December 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Delever is my "other nick", which i use to register somewhere where I don't intend to stay. However, It turned out that I stayed with ubuntu...

I made up Delever nick for some video game 3-4 years ago and it meant "the one who reduces the level", however it is not grammatically correct, but it is short, simple and unique.

spupy
December 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Mine is just random nonsense word. Can't even remember when i started using it...

Kazade
December 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Mine spawned from a prank we played on a friend I mate at uni. My first name is Luke. She was convinced by my other friends that my middle name was Kazade... until she said the two out loud... Luke Kazade as in the drink ;)

It just so happened that the next day I had to register on some website that wanted a username and it stuck... that was in 2002. I'm all over Google now :p

notwen
December 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Notwen is my last name backwards. I used Newton exclusively until sometime in 2001 a eggdrop started grabbing the nick so I swapped over to using Notwen and let one of my eggs battle for the nick. I've used Notwen on Everquest, IRC, WoW and random other online sites. =]

will1911a1
December 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Mine's pretty simple. My name is Will and my favorite pistol is the Colt 1911 A1.

Dragonbite
December 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Because "DragonByte" was already taken for a Gmail account and I was running out of time to come up with a name (this was when Gmail was still invite-only)

ridler2013
December 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
My nick is Ridler... Actually it's not the word ridler itself just a remembrance of the my first love name Rid.. and just add ler on it... :guitar:

Fire_Chief
December 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
At my first IT job about 9 years ago we were renovating a building space to move into. It was previously owned by Sunguard as a disaster recovery center. We were pulling all of the CAT3 and old CAT5 cable out of the place. It was much faster to just get up in the drop ceilings, walk around on the sprinkler pipes, cut the zipties/cables en-masse and then drop large bundles of cable down to the floor... One pipe was a bit too small and it cracked under my weight at a T junction. Water went everywhere. We had to shut off the fire sprinkler system, call a 24-hour sprinkler company to come fix it, and clean up the mess. So while we were waiting on the repair, the other guys with me were drinking beer and telling old screw up stories... one guy says "good job chief!" and the name stuck from there.

empty_spaces
December 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I started using my username a while ago when I was very much into Pink Floyd(empty spaces is the name of a Pink Floyd song).
Don't get a chance to listen to it much anymore, but I still think Pink Floyd is one of the greatest bands ever.

mjitkop
December 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Back in the 80's and 90's, I was a fan of Michael Jackson. In the 90's when I first got on the internet, one of the first things I did was look for information about him. Then came the time to create an online username and what came to my mind was "Michael Jackson is the King of Pop".

Nowadays, sadly, it is not true anymore and sometimes I wonder if I should change to "mjutbtkop" as in "Michael Jackson used to be the King of Pop". :lolflag:

bonzodog
December 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
My nick goes back into the deep dark recesses of the 1970's UK Rock Music scene.

There was a band called The Bonzodog DooDah Band, they had one or two hits in the 1970's, most notably with "I'm the Urban Spaceman".

In 1989, I started using CB Radio, and I had heard the name 'Bonzodog' somewhere, decided I liked the sound of it, and adopted it as my 'handle'.

In 1996, I progressed onto the Internet, and decided to take the nick with me, using it on IRC back then.
It's just kind of stuck ever since.

Changturkey
December 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Made it randomly in 2004, "chang" is my lastname. It's great, since no one uses the username, so I never have to add numbers and stuff at the end of my name.

beercz
December 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I was drinking Czech beer when I created the account.

I love Czech beer, in fact, I love beer :-)

n2dabloo
December 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
It's sort of a play on words, n2 (into) da (the) bloo (blue) into the blue. I adopted this some time ago after I crossed the Atlantic Ocean for the first time in my ship. All I saw was blue sky and blue water for several weeks. :) I'm about to leave the lovely country of Gabon and sail to Nigeria :(

DeadSuperHero
December 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I was going to go by the username "Alliance", but it was apparently taken. I got very, very crazy about it. My breathing became heavy, my eyes went bloodshot, and I started yelling like a little German kid playing Unreal Tournament on a bad computer. (lol)

Actually, I figured I'd best come off as a little crazy, so my username became Mr. Psychopath.

markp1989
December 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Markp1989
name+last initial + year of birth

i need 2 get more imagetive lol

s.fox
December 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Mine is a name of someone from my past

Swarms
December 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
I just remembered...
I came up with this name when I was playing Heroes of might and magic 3 with friends at the club. I was around 12 and it makes no sense, but it just stuck with me. Though I tend to use Biornus more now.

earthpigg
December 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
because see attached.

poetstorm
December 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cool thread! ^-^

I have had my name since college. I write poetry. Since I was maybe 9 years old, if you gave me a topic, I could come up with a poem in 10 minutes or less. I can still do it, and they seem to be well liked by whoever gives me the topic. That’s why I took the name. (I actually thought of opening up a table at Venice Beach once to sell my speed poems but I moved back to NY. Maybe someday XD)

sydbat
December 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Mine was the name I used on the radio (CJSW - University of Calgary) throughout the 80's.

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I have posted my name story in one of the other where did you get your name threads, if you want the whole story go look.

The short, I like it.:guitar:

---------------- Now playing: Diana DeGarmo - Then I woke Up (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/diana+degarmo/track/then+i+woke+up) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Yownanymous
December 2nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Mine was originally made for RuneScape some years ago. My real name being Yownan, I thought combining it with the word unanimous (God knows why) would be quite clever. It's easy to remember and I've used it ever since.

Bölvaður
December 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
My nick comes from a gaming nick I had for a short time.. well still use it in Warsow now. It is almost totally random and means "cursed".

I was a serious gamer when I was 5. When I went to nationals to compete against the super player, I couldn't spell "frag" and I accidentally spelled "frak".

Whow you must be very young then. When I was young gamer at age 2 there was no national competitions or colour screens.

Still am a big gamer.. dont have the old computer here but I got a new one (SUPER-386s) which I used to play on... got all the new games on it like commander keen and colonization.

Le-Froid
December 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Mine comes from a bad french translation for "awesome". I eventually found out it meant cool/cold but the name stuck.

Frak
December 3rd, 2008, 05:11 AM
Whow you must be very young then. When I was young gamer at age 2 there was no national competitions or colour screens.

I wished ;)

I've been playing games since the CP/M Era, so I guess you wouldn't call me "old", but I'm not "young" either.

DOS4dinner
December 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Windows gave me food poisoning. As such, I have DOS 4 dinner.

Linuxratty
December 3rd, 2008, 05:37 AM
Windows gave me food poisoning. As such, I have DOS 4 dinner.

I wish I'd thought of that!
Linux ratty comes from my love of Linux and my many years of having pet rats and being charmed by their antics.

tiresmokindad
June 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Do you ever wonder, while browsing the forums, why some of the thread posters are named what they are named? Some of the names are really interesting and make me wonder where the name came from. Others defy my attempt to figure out their origin.

So, why don't you tell us why you are who you are? I'll start...

sofasurfer...comes from 1995 or thereabous. I could not afford my first computer and even if I could, computers seemed really technical and out of my leaque at the time. But then I heard about Webtv and I bought one. It had a wireless keyboard and I could sit on the couch and surf the internet which was displayed on the TV. To tell the truth, I think I saw someone else on the net named sofasurfer and I liked it and decided to use it for my name. After I got a computer I kept the name. Today I once again am surfering on the sofa with a wireless keyboard and mouse and my pc is on a small cart running a wireless internet connection, so it can be wheeled to where ever the more comfortable place is, usually the couch.

So, why are you who you are?

tiresmokindad, TIRE is always SMOKIN that is why DAD change it. :D :guitar:

lisati
June 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Talofa. 'O a'u 'o Lisati. Ou te mafafau, "Recurring Disccusions." :)

(Translation: I'm Richard. I'm thinking, "Recurring Discussions.")

Also see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=44168

bigseb
June 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I powerlifted for 10 years... made me BIG. Had to stop a year and a half ago due to a slipped disc but the name stuck. Use this name on all forums I subscribe to.

NCLI
June 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It's just my initials. Nicholas C* L* I*. :guitar:

mr.farenheit
June 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
a lyric from the song 'don't stop me now' by Queen. misspelled due to drinking :P

5BallJuggler
June 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Errrr! I juggle 5 balls

KiraLexi
June 13th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Mine is just my first and middle names - Kira Alexis - pushed together.

I'm boring like that.

Frogs Hair
June 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I posted on another thread like this .

sudoer541
June 14th, 2010, 05:53 PM
my username sudoer541 comes from the sudoers group in virtualbox.
541 are the last three digits of my phone number.

linux-hack
June 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Boogy (Like the Boogie man " The movie") A friend of mine found 'it hard to pronounce my real 2end name so he was calling me all the time boogy... so I decided to use this nick name and I have 'it for 6 years now...

98cwitr
June 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
used to drive a 1998 Championship White Integra Type R...I really miss that car :(

ubunterooster
June 14th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I knew Ubunteroo meant ubuntu user and roo makes me think "rooster" due to my love of birds.
Before there were 0 hits of that name; now 32,000

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM
When McDonald's was breaking into the international market, they were at first unsuccessful. After customer surveys, they found that the problem was the menus did not have any localized content.

So they added the McBorsche, the McLinguini, the McCabbage, the McGyro, etc.

With the fall of South Vietnam in 1975, I saw a great opportunity for a new business. I bought the rights to the menu for a song.

Sadly, my chain of McRat restaurants failed almost immediately in the Little Saigon region of Garden Grove, California. Still don't know why ... :(

KiwiNZ
June 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
If you break mine down

KiwiNZ

Kiwi .. its a term used for New Zealanders , due to our national emblem , the Kiwi

NZ , Short for New Zealand

win .. I like to win , this from my Athletics days and professional days.

Join it together KiwiNZ

DrBlob
June 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
DrBlob,
I have no idea why, just like the name, it makes me feel imoprtant if u say it in an impressive voice,

MCVenom
June 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
As used to be in my sig;

Otaku: And obsessive fan of video games, anime, or manga.
Black: Self Explanatory. :lolflag:

I'm also a rapper; my stage name fluctuates between VenomOS (the original; like Venom Operating System), MC Venom, and simply Venom. When I first started out it was King J, a reference to my name (Last name, first letter of first name).

wojox
June 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Long Polish last name - Wojtaszek

Everyone always called me wojo for short and I added the x to be uber cool. :lolflag:

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Or you should do Wojo* for mystery. Who knows what comes after ;)

Well mine is obvious. I like Nightwish, individually the members are all pretty awesome musicians.

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yea... My name is pretty obvious ^^

alphaniner
June 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Alphaniner was the callsign of the fighter pilot in the video intro to Master of Orion II.

I don't know what compelled me to start using it so many years later, but I use it on sci-fi and techy forums.

rabiabidabi
June 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Many years ago, when I first stumbled upon the interwebs, I opened an ICQ account so I could chat with my brother and sister, who lived far away.

Every derivation of my name was taken and I was given choices with a string of numbers attached. this would not do. Fueled by my Dad's bourbon whiskey, I pressed on and finally let my fingers, and the bourbon, do the walking with no input from my brain and "rabiabidabi" was born.

Groucho Marxist
June 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Because I love the Marx Brothers.

Breambutt
June 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Well, I try to come up with a new handle for every service / registration / whatnot.

This one originates from a certain interesting person's drunken ramblings. It was one night at a local pub, we were having some sort of a message board meeting about 8 years ago.

After having lit his own nose hair on fire, beaten the lenses out of his eyeglasses (on the table with fists), soaked one of the lenses in his mouth for half an hour and hitting himself in the face so that his nose started bleeding, he roamed on the floor underneath the tables and benches on to the next booth from which some guy came with our friend in his grip, saying "does this belong to you?" A while later he suddenly went "Did you call me a breambutt? I KNOW YOU'VE CALLED ME A BREAMBUTT ON THE INTERNET!"

Obviously I'd never even thought of calling anyone a breambutt, whatever the hell that is, but it was that day I adopted the term and have cherished it ever since. I only wish I were as good of a storyteller as this guy, I never tire of his insane ramblings of hunting the European mink on the brink of extinction with the local land lord and his chariot.

And he only needs one beer for all that.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM
=D> That was a great post my friend. :)

MindSz
June 14th, 2010, 10:56 PM
My name's my name because otherwise, what would I be called?

I picked this one a long time ago and I don't really remember why. I just know the last two letters are my initials. I've been using it for as long as I can remember.

The Real Dave
June 14th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Here and in most other places I go by The Real Dave, seeing as I have identity issues, and believe that all other people named Dave exist only to have stolen my name and taunt me. Perhaps I was listening to an Eminem song at the time.

In many other places, including a blog, I go by Evidex, a term created by a random word generator. Apparently it's 93% random, and I simply liked the sound.

new_tolinux
June 14th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Well.... do I really need to explain new_tolinux? ;)

Although the name wasn't correct when I decided to register. I did play a little bit with some old redhat version (5.1?) back in the 90's, which lasted for about 2 weeks before I really needed to go back to Windows because I had work to be done which I couldn't do on redhat at the time.
I'm not sure if I tried suse as well back then, although I had copies of the CD's.

On the other hand, new_tolinux is still very much the truth. I'm running linux in different flavours for over a year yet, but still.... well I'm still much better on DOS or Windows than I'm with bash and Gnome/KDE, so linux and I don't really know each other :P

Guitar John
June 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Betchacanguess.

MooPi
June 15th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Well I couldn't use Bullspit,

makindue
July 15th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Hi bufsabre666. I think it is not really a sign of antichrist. It is just a number. I love 6 because it is the reciprocal of 9 which is my lucky number. :D

Spr0k3t
July 15th, 2010, 05:15 AM
When I first got connected to Arpanet and cruised the super highways through gopher: on my waxed 300bps modem, my account name was "invalid_pointer" referring to an error message that was logged in the log files at the service provider. Because I only paid maybe five bucks for unlimited access (due to not being able to find a valid login/logoff string with the username in the logs), I was asked to change my handle. Needless to say, I phr34k3d (a la 2600) and moved on to the shorter version... "invalid". The then ISP shut down, and I found a new connection to the intarwebs but invalid was taken. So I went with the one thing that leads to human conundrums: spork. Very quickly taken by many on the web... so I had to change it to be unique. I wanted something new, sexy, spacey, and retro (before retro was cool). Jetsons came to mind... and the one character who was thought of as a villain in the cartoon was Spacely Sprocket. Well, I didn't think rockets fit my persona much... and I needed something that would throw down a shout to all the 1337s from yonder years... so, spr0k3t became a new.

So, if you find a spr0k3t (that's zero and three in there) out there on the intarwebs, you probably found another one of my accounts.

yahoo
July 15th, 2010, 05:25 AM
One hundred years ago at High School my headmaster called me a b****y yahoo in front of all the school -- -- and it stuck.

Austin25
July 15th, 2010, 05:35 AM
My first name is Austin, and 25 is a perfect square. In retrospect, I should have gone with 64.

Off Topic
July 15th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Because I have a short term memory.

Wanna ride bikes?

Khakilang
July 15th, 2010, 06:43 AM
That is actually my real name and that is the picture of me. I made a mistake when registered to this Forum. Now I can't change it. My name is actually from a Chinese ethnic group call Hokkien. It pronounce as Koh Kuok Loon. But those days the British couldn't get it right on my birth cert so that is why I got stuck with 5 Os. Anybody can help me change my user name?

XubuRoxMySox
July 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM
My username is a description of my favorite hobby, clogdancing. It's a form of percussive dance kinda sorta like Tap. Actually Tap and Clogging are sibling dance forms. Clogging is the older of the two, and when some folks took Clogging to Hollywood and gussied it all up in tuxedos and tails, it came to be known as Tap. Clogging, however, remains a true folk dance. Think of "Hillbilly Riverdance" and you'll sort of get the idea. Clogging is taken from Irish, Native American, and Square Dancing.

But the username "Clogger" would be too easily associated with unrelated stuff. People think of plumbing or spamming or something other than dance when they hear the term "clogger." So it's Dixie dancer to convey the right idea. Hopefully.

-Robin

Swagman
July 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I thought Clogs were Dutch footware !!

hansdown
July 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM
That is actually my real name and that is the picture of me. I made a mistake when registered to this Forum. Now I can't change it. My name is actually from a Chinese ethnic group call Hokkien. It pronounce as Koh Kuok Loon. But those days the British couldn't get it right on my birth cert so that is why I got stuck with 5 Os. Anybody can help me change my user name?

Hi Koh Kook Loon.

You can post in the resolution center to change your name.

My name just means hands down.

wirate
July 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Mine comes from pirate (software pirate). Replaced the p with my own initial

PuddingKnife
July 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
a play on 'mad as a porridge knife'

SoftPops
July 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Just and old Softy whose son calls him Pops.

Happy Days :)

Khakilang
July 16th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hi Koh Kook Loon.

You can post in the resolution center to change your name.

My name just means hands down.

My name has change. Now it is Khakilang. It mean belonging or part of the community, group, relatives, families, club or a society. Its from a Chinese Hokkien dialect which is quite commonly spoken here among the Chinese.

smardi
July 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM
s is from my first name and mardi is from my last..and its combination of both

hansdown
July 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM
My name has change. Now it is Khakilang. It mean belonging or part of the community, group, relatives, families, club or a society. Its from a Chinese Hokkien dialect which is quite commonly spoken here among the Chinese.

I like it!

nothingspecial
July 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I`d tell you the story behind my username, but it`s nothing special.

Bapun007
July 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
My nick name is Bapun and i use 007 in all my online accounts because this is easy to remember . Mpq3a007 was my rollnumber .

Excedio
July 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM
One day I was looking through a magazine and saw this (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital-sources/multiple-cd-players/sanyo/excedio-ultracompact-10-disc-cd-changer-eax-510/PRD_126375_2758crx.aspx). I like how it sounds. :-)

Best part is...if you google "Excedio" it's more about me than anothing else. :-)

fredbird67
September 17th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Well, my name's Fred, and I'm living in St. Louis and a Cardinals fan -- and their mascot just happens to be named Fredbird. LOL

As for the avatar, well, the Muppet Show was one of my favorite TV shows back when I was growing up, and Beaker never failed to make me laugh, not only because of the scrapes he got himself into due to the failed experiments of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, but I also think he's probably the funniest-looking Muppet that the late Jim Henson ever created. LOL

andymorton
September 17th, 2010, 01:00 AM
i am jimi hendrix and i approve this message

You are THE rock God. We are not worthy=D>

Father Of Many
September 17th, 2010, 01:08 AM

I used to have a '73 Super Beetle.

I am Father Of Many because i have 6 kids, 5 boys and 1 very unhappy girl.

Jaecyn42
September 17th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Jaecyn is just an Anglicized pseudonym for my IRL first name, Jason.

The 42, that's rather self-explanatory: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

robertcoulson
September 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM
My name is my name, because it is my name....
Robert

devondashla
September 17th, 2010, 01:48 AM

GO GEORGIA!!!!!!

I wish I still lived there...

devondashla comes from a book series called Uglies, where a group of people use "-la" or "-wa" as nicknames. For my first account for something, a dash couldn't be used, so i just made it all one word.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Before there was an Internet, some people used Citizens' Band (CB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_band_radio) radio to have group chats with other people over short distances. I used the CB to chat with friends in the town were I lived. Conference calls on phones were either non-existent or very expensive. Those were land-line phones; because, cell phones had not been invented.

On the Citizens' Band radio, we had "Handles" that were anonymous names we were known by. Obviously, the radio transmissions could be picked up by anyone; therefore, we didn't use our real names. My Handle was "Old Gray Wolf".

When I started using the Internet, I kept the same Handle.

corrytonapple
September 17th, 2010, 02:20 AM
It runs right through Knoxville, TN. Well, I live in a very country area called Corryton, north of Knoxville, and most people are so redneck that they do not know what a computer is or how to use it, never mind a Mac. So, when we bought our Apple iMac, I liked it so much, that I put the two together. So corrytonapple. That also means that my name is not Corry, in fact, no where near that.:p

JDShu
September 17th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I think I've responded to one of these threads before, but:

J is the first letter of a translation of my name.
D is the first letter of a lame pun on my last name.
Shu is the last character of my Chinese name.

smellyman
September 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I smell

murderslastcrow
September 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Name of my business, and my name online in most cases.

Rasa1111
September 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I used to have really long dreadlocks,
and one day, one of friends just started calling me "Rasta", every time he saw me,
then everyone else around picked it up, and whenever theyd see me, theyd call me by "Rasta"..
then over the years... I guess everyone started getting too lazy to pronounce the "T", in Rasta,
or they just felt it was easier to say, or sounded cooler, Im really not sure....lol
but the name eventually turned into "Rasa",
and close friends have been calling me that ever since,
So that is what i use as an online nym. lol

I whacked the dreads off years ago though.
almost 4 years now. lol

poisonkiller
September 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Haha, not really hard to figure out how I got my name... :D

But actually I don't remember the real story, I just know it was my Runescape accounts name like 8 years ago. Now I use it everywhere as my online name.

sxmaxchine
September 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
sxmaxchine..... add an e after the s and before the x and remove the x after the a and before the c.

It also has my name in it which is why i added the x

cascade9
September 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I smell

I thought that it was a reference to "fragrant harbour" :lolflag:

As for my name, lots of reasons, the one I always cite is "cascade effect" ;) There are others, but the only one that doesnt take an age to explain (and probably needs a sick sense of humour in a lot of cases) is that....well.....I was sick of using idiot names, and it was all I could think of at the time.

CharlesA
September 17th, 2010, 05:40 AM
As for my name, lots of reasons, the one I always cite is "cascade effect" ;) There are others, but the only one that doesnt take an age to explain (and probably needs a sick sense of humour in a lot of cases) is that....well.....I was sick of using idiot names, and it was all I could think of at the time.

What about "Resonance Cascade?"

As for mine.. it's just my name. I try to use it on non-gaming forums.

cascade9
September 17th, 2010, 06:06 AM
What about "Resonance Cascade?"

If I said that I had only played a tiny bit of half-life, would that result in an infraction? :lolflag:

CharlesA
September 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM
If I said that I had only played a tiny bit of half-life, would that result in an infraction? :lolflag:

Lol. Nope. ;)

CJ Master
September 17th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Name of my business, and my name online in most cases.

I'm curious... what type of business are you in? "Murders Last Crow" sounds like a restaurant. ;)

cascade9
September 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Lol. Nope. ;)

Wrong mod then, I'll bet GordonF would have permabanned me outright for that LOL.

smellyman
September 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I thought that it was a reference to "fragrant harbour" :lolflag:

My morning swims in Wan Chai might be the cause.

grahammechanical
September 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I was searching for a clever user name like those that others on this forum have. I could not think of one. Then, this time last year I had open heart surgery and I now have a mechanical heart valve. I am also very well and still alive, thanks to the UK National Health Service people.

TNT1
September 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Cause I'm exploding Bob...

Spice Weasel
September 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Everyone loves Futurama.

But Season 6 has been quite average so far.

ratcheer
September 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Ok, I'll play. I was sitting there trying to come up with a username and all of a sudden, my Deep South grandmother's voice popped into my head saying, "You can sit down rat cheer", which in Deep Southern dialect means, "right here". So, ratcheer has been my username ever since.

Tim

JDShu
September 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM

LOL i'm pretty sure that would kill you.

ornages
September 18th, 2010, 03:48 AM
One day I woke up and I had this phrase in my head: les Ornages du Roi, as in "Mmh, j'aime bien les ornages du roi!" It stuck with me for weeks and eventually the time came when I had to sign up for accounts and so I picked it. I'm not french but I speak it a little and I know that ornages is not an existing word. But it sounds beautiful just like Cellar Door.

wkhasintha
September 18th, 2010, 04:27 AM
ma name with initials

Brunellus
September 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM
After a character in the medieval novel, "Speculum Stultorum:" Brunellus, a donkey that manages to go to University.

I went to a medieval university myself, and thought it apt.

jjakspaw6
September 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
My name is the first inital of my wife and kids.jason, jessica, alex, keira, sarah, paw (for our pets). the 6 was the number of people in the house.. at least unitl 2003

cascade9
September 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Swim in Wan Chai? What happened? It used to be thick enough for a morning walk there ;)

JDShu is probably right, it might kill you. I'd probably prefer to get hit by the noonday gun over an extended swim.....

MacUntu
September 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
While registering, I was watching an episode of The Simpsons and Dr. William MacDougal inspired me. ):P

PS: I don't own a Mac (or any Apple product).

Random_Dude
September 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Just one more guy on the Internet.

roddie
September 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Just my name! Thankfully, this spelling is unusual enough to be able to register it at a lot of places.

jshepherd
September 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Really boring I'm afraid, it's my name.

bwhite82
December 30th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Started using this shortly after enlisting into the US Army...was thinking of this song when creating it:

"Soldier Boy" by The Shirelles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy79-ww27sw)

NMFTM
December 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Mine's a variant on the industrial rock band KMFDM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMFDM). It stands for "Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid" in German and is roughly translated into English as "No Mercy For The Masses". Also, my avatar is one of their album covers.

ki4jgt
December 30th, 2010, 04:53 AM
KI4JGT - My amateur radio license

jaronron10
December 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Well names AAron. Fathers name Ron. Uncle called me Double A Ron. Freinds heard him call me that. They changed it to Ron Ron. Then after a few drinks and late night reruns. One of my freinds commented on how I looked like some actor off of Fresh Prince. Changing my nick name to JaRonRon. Sense then it has actually been shortened to Jarome. then converted to RomeRome in real life... My freinds are a ODD bunch...

piquat
December 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Like my passwords, it doesn't exist in the dictionary. It's two made up sylables slapped together to sound like something, but really it's nothing. Just a security thing that makes even a username hard to guess.

WRDN
December 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Just my name I'm afraid.

When I registered here, I wanted WDN but that was taken, so I chose WRDN.

W = William
R = Richard
DN = DanN

chucky chuckaluck
December 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
My parents named me after Saint Chuckaluck.

ruben_linux
December 30th, 2010, 06:25 PM
obviously, my name is Ruben and i have a passion LINUX then:

ruben_linux
:p