PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest news on the MS patent lawsuit against linux?

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I just learned about it. I hope that I'm not asking this when it was already settled. I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. Thanks!

Daveski
December 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
The cynical would say that there will never be any progress and MS just trot this out every now-and-then to reinforce doubt in corporate minds to try to make sure that people err of the side of caution and choose a Windows solution rather than a Linux solution 'just in case'. 'course I would never suggest this :-)

happysmileman
December 2nd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Microsoft said "Every Linux user is infringing on 235 patents".
Linux users said "Prove it, tell us which patents".
Microsoft shut up.

That's basically it.

Daveski
December 2nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
I get the impression that the US hands out patents like sweets (candy). Most of the patents infringed are probably things like 'using an eyeball or pair of eyeballs to visualise information, data and images on a display device'.
I suspect if these 235 patents were made public, many of them would not survive being re-examined.

zmjjmz
December 2nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Microsoft shut up.

That's basically it.
And now the Bilski ruling has invalidated most of their patents.

shadylookin
December 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Microsoft shut up.

That's basically it.

ya and I'm pretty sure if they don't sue within a certain period of time I think they lose claim to those patents so MS better get on the ball.

I think they were hoping for the SCO lawsuit to get rid of linux but that fell through.

I-75
December 2nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
This is what Ballmer said .. in part.......from 2006.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9005338

"Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer openly declared last week that he believes the Linux source code infringes upon Microsoft's intellectual property (IP). And companies that use Linux, apart from Novell's SUSE distribution, face a latent financial time bomb that he called an "undisclosed balance sheet liability."

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
Microsoft shut up.

That's basically it.

Nuh uh. It was more them having a go a the more Corporate distros.

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 02:00 AM
I've never heard of "M$"

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I've never heard of "M$"

Microsoft.

PhoenixMaster00
December 2nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
I too just read about it to theres nothing to worry about though. Anything supposedly infringing there patent can be changed. As long as they dont reveal the infringements there is always that threat and scare tactic to put off potential linux users.
Look on the bright side it shows MS sees us as an emerging threat.

KiwiNZ
December 2nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
Thread title corrected

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Microsoft.

nathangrubb was merely highlighting the pathetic childish "m$" that people seem to love so much.

Want a quick way for people to think you're a fool? Start using little things like that.

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 02:38 AM
nathangrubb was merely highlighting the pathetic childish "m$" that people seem to love so much.

Want a quick way for people to think you're a fool? Start using little things like that.

Some would say that it's merely a political statement. Some would also say that you are a "pathetic childish fool" for bothering to antagonize somebody about a single character that can easily be ignored if you feel that way about it. I think that that especially applies in a community where it is an accepted substitute for MS.

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM
Some would say that it's merely a political statement.

It's an immature way to express a political opinion, though.

TBOL3
December 2nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
You know, patents are the protection of PUBLISHED advances and techniques. So, if they really are patented, we should be able to simply look at them. If the patents were in the source code, they would have to be public (well, not public for 'all' to see, but they would be available in some way or other).

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
Some would say that it's merely a political statement. Some would also say that you are a "pathetic childish fool" for bothering to antagonize somebody about a single character that can easily be ignored if you feel that way about it. I think that that especially applies in a community where it is an accepted substitute for MS.

So accepted that the mods changed the thread title? :rolleyes:

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
So accepted that the mods changed the thread title? :rolleyes:
The mods changed the thread title because someone complained. :rolleyes: Namely: you. How many people read this thread title who didn't complain? In my rounds of the forums today I have seen this used three separate times.

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 03:38 AM
The mods changed the thread title because someone complained. :rolleyes: Namely: you. How many people read this thread title who didn't complain? In my rounds of the forums today I have seen this used three separate times.

I complained?

Check again mate. Changed before I posted. :rolleyes:

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Sorry for jacking your thread idigchess...
I didn't think people would get so uptight over me objecting to the usage of "M$". Admittedly, I did use "M$" at one point, though I eventually quit. I just find it a little immature, and I see it alot, so it especially irks me.

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
I complained?

Check again mate. Changed before I posted. :rolleyes:

Okay, nathangrubb. Either way, it's only one person out of a community of the hundreds or thousands who have seen my thread title.

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Okay, nathangrubb. Either way, it's only one person out of a community of the hundreds or thousands who have seen my thread title.

You'll understand eventually, don't worry.

geo909
December 2nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Can you give me a link that says about this lawsuit? It's the first time I hear about it.

KiwiNZ
December 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM

I changed the title , there were no approaches made to me
Please do not make groundless accusations against other members.

And please use correct spelling etc in thread titles, the use of M$ is way past its expiry date

-grubby
December 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
He could've referred to them as Micro$loth

He could have referred to it as anything.

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I changed the title , there were no approaches made to me
Please do not make groundless accusations against other members.

And please use correct spelling etc in thread titles, the use of M$ is way past its expiry date

Well that's certainly a misuse of power. If a person wants to express an opinion then that's their prerogative. What right do you have to change that becasue of your opinion?

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Well that's certainly a misuse of power. If a person wants to express an opinion then that's their prerogative. What right do you have to change that becasue of your opinion?

We don't want the forum descending into a shower of idiocy. To be honest, he's an admin, he can do whatever the hell he wants. ):P

andras artois
December 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think you can actually patent how a program works or howan OS works anymore, there was something about it on the redhat site quite a while ago.

Handyman Felting
December 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM

M$ isn't an opinion.

Edit: Even if it were, why can't opinions be moderated here? If I were to say "<beep beep>" I am sure I would be modded, and rightly so.

Sealbhach
December 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM

I think, personally that use of Winblows, *******, M$, Microshaft etc. is good and should not be discouraged. Why? Because we're in a war - not of our choosing - but they want to crush our freedoms. They have their propaganda, we should have ours.

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I think, personally that use of Winblows, *******, M$, Microshaft etc. is good and should not be discouraged. Why? Because we're in a war - not of our choosing - but they want to crush our freedoms. They have their propaganda, we should have ours.

:lolflag:

Dragonbite
December 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Can you give me a link that says about this lawsuit? It's the first time I hear about it.
Yes, a link would be helpful (not to mention may get this thread back on subject).

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
It's old news to be honest/

sydbat
December 2nd, 2008, 05:09 PM

.But if we stoop to their level, we cannot say we are better/have a better product/etc. Taking the high road instead of calling names makes you look more adult/mature/professional and therefore you will be taken seriously when talking about anything.

bonzodog
December 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Its a "cold war" situation to be honest. One of the reasons that Microsoft have palled up with Novell is that Novell own all the big Unix patents, some of which are in use in Linux and Windows. IBM likewise own some patents that are in use on both platforms. If any kind of case was to come up over the breach of a patent, then MS could simply get countersued by IBM or Novell, over a patent held that Windows breaches, which is why they set up a "we wont if you dont" agreement with Novell.

And MS know better than to annoy Big Blue and its army of Lawyers, sometimes called "The Nazgul".

JohnFH
December 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
With attitudes like that I'm going back to Windows ...

josephellengar
December 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Yes, a link would be helpful (not to mention may get this thread back on subject).
Here's one:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

KiwiNZ
December 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM

It is the role of the staff of this forum to manage the Forum . That includes , content, quality ,reputation and overall professionalism.

I would suggest you re-acquaint yourself with the Forum COC

Dragonbite
December 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Here's one:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

Thanks!
Oh, so this is about an article in May of this year?

Asgar
December 2nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
I once used windows 3.1, it was so pretty with all the colors but then i started to get head aches :( sniff

wrtpeeps
December 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks!
Oh, so this is about an article in May of this year?

The article was written in May, but I'm nearly sure the actual incident happened before that???

phrostbyte
December 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
We don't want the forum descending into a shower of idiocy. To be honest, he's an admin, he can do whatever the hell he wants. ):P

No he can't. Forum moderators are bounded by the rules of the forum and the Ubuntu Code of Conduct like anyone else.

nick09
December 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Well if we all act like Microsoft then we are no better than they are. Two wrong acts do not equal a right act. Saying such things like "M$" is a immature thing to do.

Microsoft is in such a high place in the market because they got into it just the right time and they KNOW how to work the computer market to what they want. Linux has many smaller companies that such as Canonical and hardware developers support Linux less than Windows because they want that green in their hands.