PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] driver not working since the last major update

sandswipe
December 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Ever since I took the plunge and installed 8.10 on my desktop it hasn't been able to use any proprietary drivers, and while I kind of miss compiz and wine I mostly stick to my 360 if I want something flashy, so it's never been an urgent issue.

Every time I start compiz the borders of all my windows disappear, and nothing else noticeable happens. If I try to activate proprietary drivers in the Hardware Drivers option under System I get a briefly (well under a second) flashed progress bar and then nothing at all happens, and the driver stays unactivated. Envy didn't seem to do anything.

I've been using linux for a while, but am not a computer science major, so I really don't know much about the command line. Detailed instructions would be appreciated.

specs:
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128MB
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E4600 (2MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,800 FSB)
2 gigs ram

dell bought through dell.com with ubuntu, probably under warranty.

Mark Phelps
December 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Not being snide -- but the problem is that you're using a Radeon. I have one too, and am living with Compiz turned off.

ATI's products have been infamous with their problems with compiz and other effects. For a more detailed discussion, and some solutions, suggest you track down the Phronix forums. Folks there do some very detailed investigations of ATI-based problems and provide some interesting solutions.

Luksion Knight
April 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM
ermmm the exact same thing happens with my nVidia 8500 GT which worked fine before...