PDA

View Full Version : Good news for people with Broadcom wireless chips

matthew
December 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I just saw this on Digg and since I know lots of people have had tons of truoble getting Broadcom based wireless stuff to work with Linux I thought I would share. Link is below for further information.

Through reverse engineering, a linux driver for the Broadcom 43xx series chipset has created. This chipset is used in the Airport Extreme, TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card, Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card, WL-100G, Linksys WMP54G PCI, Belkin F5D7010 54g Wireless Network card, etc.

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Finally,_a_linux_driver_for_the_Airport_Extreme_

otake-tux
December 6th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Ever since the first time I installed Linux I have been using ndiswrapper. I read the title of this thread hoping my card would be one of those supported but ...................no. My relationship with ndiswrapper goes on. :(

basketcase
December 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I've had my fair share of use with those cards.

Yeah!!

erikpiper
December 6th, 2005, 10:54 PM
So when is it in the repos?? I have a linksys wpc54g pcmcia card....

ErikTheRed
December 7th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Too bad you can only use those drivers with an unprotected network. They're very basic at this point, I'm pretty sure they don't have support for WPA.

erikpiper
December 7th, 2005, 03:05 AM
So what? It's cool :p

flange
December 7th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Too bad you can only use those drivers with an unprotected network. They're very basic at this point, I'm pretty sure they don't have support for WPA.

Hey, this news is a whole lot better than earlier this year when I bought my iBook. I remember reading forum posts that said not to expect iBook wireless support *ever*. I'll gladly take this.

;)

benplaut
December 7th, 2005, 03:36 AM
if this adds support for iBook cards, that's frikking awesome... it's a huge hurdle for mac users switching...

flange
December 7th, 2005, 03:49 AM
if this adds support for iBook cards, that's frikking awesome... it's a huge hurdle for mac users switching...

The iBook G4 is among many to use the Broadcom chipset, so it should be included. I'm sure the Ubuntu devs will pay special attention to making sure that works for iBook users, since out-of-the-box laptop support is one of Ubuntu's current priorities.