PDA

View Full Version : Kanotix

trivialpackets
December 6th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Anyone else tried this? I'm just curious. I have put it on in test, and boy it seems to be very fast. Not sure about my opinion on the distro as I haven't used it too much yet, but it seemed extremely responsive, although KDE based, but nobody is perfect.

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Good hardware support and is very fast...
Definatley a good dog and pony show for people that have never seen Linux before!;)

trivialpackets
December 6th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Yes, and it really flies when it is installed onto the hard drive. The irony is that it took me forever to download the ISO, the server was very slow when I was getting it, and actually stopped downloading a couple days in a row with errors.

tomski
December 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM
this is a very good distro but uses kde as default window manager not gnome (as does ubuntu)
so it all depends on the look and extras that you require or like really.

this is what i was using before i went ubuntu but screwed the install up due to a mix up of repo's that i added!!!
im not too sure about the dev cycle i think they follow a 3 month cycle but i may be wrong.
but to try to say that its better than mepis/knoppix/ubuntu is hard because they are all based around debian sid/etch.
also mark knopper has and still does contribute to knoppix and kanotix is his revision of knoppix

so it depends on what you're looking for, i think that ubuntu is the only one that has its own repo's the others just use normal sid repo's