PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hdd not recognised when installing ubuntu 8.10

diana_c
December 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Hello everybody!

I have just registered here because I have quite a serious problem and I really don't know how to solve it. I have a Laptop with 2 hard disk drives: one hdd has only windows vista data and cannot be partitioned and the other one has several partitions, namely:windows vista programmes, linux opensuse 10.3 programs, linux opensuse 10.3 data, a partition for swap and a partition for the recovery of windows vista(i don't have windows vista on a bootable cd). I want to install Ubuntu 8.10 and get rid of my opensuse 10.3.

I downloaded the iso image of ubuntu 8.10,namely the desktop i386 version. I don't know if there is any difference between the three versions:desktop, alternate and server. Does anyone know if there is any difference between them and if there is, how can I find out which one of them is best for my computer?

I read the instructions to install Ubuntu 8.10 and followed them. Unfortunately, when it came to partitions, the hdd containing those many partitions cannot be seen. The cd ,,sees'' just the hdd with Windows data and it suggests to make partitions on that hdd, which is not what i want. On the other hand, as I quited installing due to this inconvenience, Ubuntu 8.10 showed up as a Live CD and on its ,,My computer'' I could see all my partitions from the hdd that the cd doesn't ,,see''while trying to install Ubuntu 8.10.

What could I do to solve this problem?
Could someone help me, I would be very grateful.

Diana

dabl
December 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Maybe this (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm) will help.

diana_c
December 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hello again!
I solved the problem after 3 hours...it was my mistake I didn't trust myself when it came to partitioning.
Thank you for your help, dabl even though I have just come to see it.