PDA

View Full Version : A nice review of Star Office 9.

Twitch6000
December 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
So I was looking around about info of Star Office and found this review of the recently released Star Office 9.

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/11/17/review-of-staroffice-9/

It is unbiased and is very honest.

I kind of want to get Star Office now.

NewJack
December 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
I kind of want to get Star Office now.

Why buy StarOffice, just contribute to OpenOffice:

http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html

Same results.

Anyway, that review was unbaised.

silvagroup
January 16th, 2009, 05:09 AM
NewJack is absolutely correct. Just bought the StarOffice 9 thinking that maybe some of the few features which are not included with the normal install of OO would be worth the minimal cost for StarOffice.

Well that was not the case !!! For one Sun doesn't offer a 64 bit version, and even with the 32libs installed it's a virtual hell trying to get it installed, which I was not able to do.

Two they don't offer a .deb and it can't even find the installed dependencies when they are already installed. Lots of dependency problems even tough they are there, probably something to do with it being 32 bit on a 64 bit!?

In my researching on the web on how to get this beast installed it appears that when it comes to Linux installing this is not for the faint of heart or for the average user. You better be in the very proficient range. Unless you are installing it into Windows, very simple and works fine, did not try the Windows version myself, don't care to either.

Tech support at Sun told me that I could use getlib and force but why mess with a great operating system and possibly mess it up just to get a fancier version of OpenOffice.

So I have requested my money back and I will send it to the OpenOffice project as a donation.

cardinals_fan
January 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I'm not sure how clipart is ever considered a feature. Otherwise, a pretty good review.

silvagroup
January 16th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks cardinals_fan, but, according to the official Sun sources, it's more than the clipart, they supposedly have many of the extensions already available in the StarOffice install, er, you can't call it and install, so attemped install or uninstallable, ah, whatever.
Supposedly it also has a cleaner, crisper look and icons, but doesn't do me any good if it doesn't install. So what does it matter.
Some reviews tend to suggest it runs in a Debian 32 with very little work. Maybe when I am toatlly bored out of my mind and only suicide on my mind, I might try to a Debian install and buy StarOffice in it, but don't hold your breath for that.
So again thanks, it was my pleasure to try it and report accordingly.