PDA

View Full Version : Why do people fight?

rajeev1204
December 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
hi

Just needed to start an interesting discussion with views from our fellow forum members.

The questions are

1)Why do we fight with each other
2)When do we learn to forgive.
3)When will there be world peace :)

For me ,fighting comes from anger, and not able to let go of things.Iam working on it.I hope someday i will be at peace.

Would love to hear from you folks.

regards

rajeev.

hellion0
December 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
1)Why do we fight with each otherHuman nature.

2)When do we learn to forgive.Too late to make use of the lesson.

3)When will there be world peace :)Our great-grandchildren will be dying of old age by then.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic.

kernelhaxor
December 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM

My answer to all three questions: The world is not a perfect place. There are all kinds of people doing all kinds of things.

Since we can't have a perfect world, my answer to 3 would be 'Never'

eternalnewbee
December 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Too late to make use of the lesson.
It's never too late. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Our great-grandchildren will be dying of old age by then.
So, you admit it's possible.

stimpack
December 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Man is inherently tribal, from minor things such as jeering opposing sports fans, to the major differences based on race/religion.

Even if you think you are the most open minded person, there will be something you are tribal about.

I don't see this changing anytime soon :(.

priegog
December 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Ah well...
I think fighting (as opposed to sitting down and discussing issues) is a form of conflict resolving that sticks from our childhood, and as such is immature. Sure it could be considered "human nature" if by that you understood our most deep-rooted and primal instincts, up there with sex-related crimes.
SOME people (some, because sadly there are a lot who never get there) learn with time, humblety and experience that the price to pay for holding grudges is exponentially higher than that of just forgiving and finding new solutions.
I don't think we'll ever get world peace, because old (and potentially wiser) people are dying each day and new people are being born, and they will all have to go thru that process of learning and maturing, and in that matter there will ALWAYS be immature and unwise people in this world, sadly very often in positions of power, where they can do a lot of damage. However, society as a whole DOES evolve, albeit very slowly. Sadly, the current state of society is a culture of hedonism and quick satisfactions, and I don't believe that is an appropiate mindset in which world peace could happen.
I don't know... it's just too complicated a problem to tackle in one sitting.

cmay
December 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
anger comes from the very childhood as the first way of communicating the word "no" the the world. then smiling and showing happiness is the other way of saying "ok" to the world. when some one grows up and meet things around him/her that he/she/ does not approve of and "cant change " then there will be anger. as adult that anger is more out of control with some individuals than others but in the end it all stems from the very simple fact that all individuals have their opinion and their wishes for the world around them and some will fight to get it their way since they believe its their way that are the most beneficial one. if some one does not care then its a dangerus sign. if someone care but choose to change things by example and let ohters follow that wants and still do not pressure ohters then its a true warrior spirit. the ones who fight for something and use violence are in fact most often the ones that just underneath the surface also teh most vulnerable people. when they crack they also crack up pretty much.

to answer the question.
we all think what we want is the best for all the others. some have just better ways of dealing with it than ohters.

chucky chuckaluck
December 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
i'm stunned there is as much peace in the world as there is. civilization is a learned skill and i'm also stunned we've learned as much of that as we have. (a much smaller world population would help.)

eternalnewbee
December 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sigh... (a real one)

eternalnewbee
December 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
i'm stunned there is as much peace in the world as there is. civilization is a learned skill and i'm also stunned we've learned as much of that as we have. (a much smaller world population would help.)
This doesn't make sense. (to me)

darkdawn
December 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
The answer would be because of our minds working in different ways.
Scince the moment we are born, every one of us experienced different emotions, thoughts,scenes, problems....etc. which eventually made us the way we are. which is different. and by us being different came the different opinions we have about every single thing. so here is your war.

World peace is a very complex thing and a very hard thing to do....people must have one goal, one dream, one hope....etc. which practically is impossible.

just my opinion.

brokenreality
December 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Most of the time people fight for stupid reasons. I should know, I work security at a college bar.

halovivek
December 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
hi

Just needed to start an interesting discussion with views from our fellow forum members.

The questions are

For me ,fighting comes from anger, and not able to let go of things.Iam working on it.I hope someday i will be at peace.

regards

rajeev.

1. answer - EGo
2. when you feel you are ready to do all
3. when all the ends.:(

loell
December 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
why do people ask? we're done talking! now, lets take this outside! :KS

xpod
December 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
why do people ask? we're done talking! now, lets take this outside!

Back home in Scotland it would more likely be...
"Richt ya bass,ootside fer a Square go noo"

eternalnewbee
December 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
why do people ask? we're done talking! now, lets take this outside:lolflag:
But, please. Stay on topic;)

Nano Geek
December 1st, 2008, 03:26 PM
1)Sin Nature
2)Never as a whole
3)Never while we are in charge

Thelasko
December 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Why do people fight?
Three reasons:

Money
Power
Women

The three are related. It's mostly about number 1.

aaaantoine
December 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Three reasons:

Money
Power
Women

The three are related. It's mostly about number 1.

I would argue that it's more about #2 than #1. Money gives you power. What if money were worthless? Then what use would it be to you? What people really want is power.

I could also argue that #1 and #2 are means to achieve #3, but not everyone wants sex. Just about everyone wants complete freedom to do what they want to do.

Thelasko
December 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
I could also argue that #1 and #2 are means to achieve #3, but not everyone wants sex. Just about everyone wants complete freedom to do what they want to do.
You get the money and the power to get the woman. What does the woman want? The money and the power? Didn't she already have the power? She got the rich and powerful guy, so she must have some power. By process of elimination, that means the woman wanted the money. Maybe, it's about a different kind of power?

The whole thing gives me a headache because it goes around in circles. My point is, it's about those three things, and those things are closely related.

Some things to ponder:

The President of the United States has a lot of power, but receives (relatively) little money.

Prostitutes, exchange sex for money.

What about exchanging sex for power?

Are there people that have all three?

sdowney717
December 1st, 2008, 11:03 PM
why did Cain kill Abel?
"The truth is that we all have the possibility for genocidal behavior."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/25/sbm.perpetrators/index.html#cnnSTCText?iref=werecommend

This article says a lot about the natural state of unsaved mankind.
I also fully believe when Jesus said evil men shall get worse and worse until the end that he was not joking.

TorqueyPete
December 1st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Inability to communicate. ( I'm no longer included in that 'we' )
Some never do. But it comes with the ability to truly communicate. Would that we could forgive as a dog does.
3)When will there be world peace
As soon as we learn to communicate.:confused:

jimi_hendrix
December 2nd, 2008, 12:07 AM

jelousy, greed, uncontrolled hate (its ok to not like something/someone...but you should still treat them equally)

thats a personal thing

cant answer this without bringing in religion

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
hi

The questions are

regards

rajeev.

I'll ignore question 2.

1) A multitude of reasons.

The biggest one, if we look at things like wars and things is the hierachical (I'm sure that is spelled wrong) nature of Man.

Some needs to be boss.

The sub reasons they fight, land or religion, jalousy, envy, greed, ... are all tied into that one.

3) See 1, or as you will: NEVER

--

Maybe if our species evolve (darwinian evolving, not some new age evolving) then 3 might come true some day, or it could be worse.

sharon.gmc
December 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
I think people fight because they give more value to their beliefs than to people. Forgiveness will happen if people realize that humans are more important than believes. World peace will happen if we start going back to appreciating each other and forgetting our differences. . .

Tomosaur
December 2nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
Humans have spent the best part of the last couple of million years doing everything in their power to overcome human nature.

So far, violence towards each other has remained. Those who put it down to 'human nature' are just being lazy. It takes effort to not launch into violence, and so we should be patient with each other and give ourselves time to calm down when we feel angry.

starcannon
December 2nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
hi

The questions are

regards

rajeev.

There are multiple reasons, most of which could be summed up into selfishness.

Emotions or Passions (like anger)
Greed
Psychological disorders
Power

Generally only after we ourselves require forgiveness.
Never, conflict seems to be part and parcel with this iteration of life; even ants have war.

ComputerHermit
December 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
People fight because they are dushbags:)

tjwoosta
December 2nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
sometimes when one person desires something it conflicts with the desires of another

not everyone can have it their way, and almost nobody is willing to give in when somebody else gets what they desire and you dont

lisati
December 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Selfishness?

eragon100
December 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Because certain people *cough-cough* think it's fun :)

And because almost everyone think it's fun if it's not real -- half the violence complainers here have links to violent games (savage 2), or anime characters as their avatar, or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxAxHuuEgDg

Now tell me: how many of you liked that AMV?

MikeTheC
December 2nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
It's part of the inherent struggle to improve ourselves. We view the world through our own eyes, not others'. We seek to change things to suit ourselves.

Only when we learn humility and wisdom.

3)When will there be world peace
When this planet is no longer inhabited by anything not strictly vegetable in form. Even microbes fight and kill each other in the strugle for survival.

derekr44
December 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Read a book called The Anatomy of Peace, by The Arbinger Institute.

For me, that sums up why the world continues to fight.

earthpigg
December 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Why do people fight?

to spill his blood, take his land, and plant their seed in his woman.

obviously.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Humans have spent the best part of the last couple of million years doing everything in their power to overcome human nature.

So far, violence towards each other has remained. Those who put it down to 'human nature' are just being lazy. It takes effort to not launch into violence, and so we should be patient with each other and give ourselves time to calm down when we feel angry.

Homo sapiens aren't "millions of years" old, we are around 200.000 years old.

And human nature is why we behave the way we do, that includes violence.

Tomosaur
December 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Homo sapiens aren't "millions of years" old, we are around 200.000 years old.

And human nature is why we behave the way we do, that includes violence.

Exaggeration aside, 'human nature' is a poor excuse to kill each other.

Bloch
December 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Because the only thing some people understand is a slap across the mouth.

NintendoTogepi
December 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure.

Verbal fighting is fine. Argument is good!

But I have no idea why people still kill each other, start wars...etc. I'm a bit of a pacifist.

Tamlynmac
December 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Thomas Robert Malthus had some opinions that might help understand human responses to stimulus.

http://desip.igc.org/malthus/principles.html

Delever
December 3rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
I think concept of fighting is closely related to concept of winning. To have any kind of competition, someone must be first, or win. To win, there are different ways - ranging from peaceful to murder. How we treat these ways depends on how we think and what things we believe, and as history have shown, masses of people can be lead to believe that some kind of murder is alright. Big schemes of words, like, victory, glory are constructed to justify such beliefs.

People are seeking to survive. If survival means changing your mind to that of the group, you do it. Otherwise, you are casted out to find your own group. Maybe you will find it, and maybe that new group will face first group one day. There will be people who will want to use different means to resolve the conflict in every group, simply because their beliefs differ. And group will have to decide: break up or join forces and do as majority (or leaders) want.

To sum up, as long as human has the choice to believe what he wants, we will be fighting.

In my humble opinion.

Sealbhach
December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
People fight to get what they want, seems to me.

73ckn797
December 3rd, 2008, 01:26 AM
why did Cain kill Abel?
"The truth is that we all have the possibility for genocidal behavior."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/25/sbm.perpetrators/index.html#cnnSTCText?iref=werecommend

This article says a lot about the natural state of unsaved mankind.
I also fully believe when Jesus said evil men shall get worse and worse until the end that he was not joking.

+1 on that brother!

As the fallen nature in man, "matures", things naturally degrade.

To hear someone state "I can't believe they did that", to me, indicates a misunderstanding of the depravity in the human heart.

barbedsaber
December 3rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Most of the time people fight for stupid reasons. I should know, I work security at a college bar.

oh man
I do NOT envy you.

gletob
December 3rd, 2008, 05:11 AM
hi

The questions are

regards

rajeev.

The fact that we are fairly intelligent beings and we have the ability to show emotion

Different people learn to forgive different ways some need to be taught and some realize that holding a grudge is simply pointless

The only time there will ever be world peace is when all sentient live is destroyed (most likely by fighting)

TBOL3
December 3rd, 2008, 05:12 AM
Pardon me, but does this really belong in the comunity cafe? It usually seems like this is the type of thing that usually gets locked.

Anyway, I believe that fighting is too large a topic to be pinpointed down to a small thing. It could be anything from game theory, to people just are misunderstanding each other. Not to mention that each situation is different. By the same token, I believe that piece is just as complex an issue.

As for world piece, I don't know really. You could believe in evolutionary psychology, and say it will come when we've killed off every one who wants war. You could go with religion, and say it won't come until God comes and kills us all. I personally don't care for 'world piece' because I can not do it. Rather, I try to create piece around me. Yes, I am human and I do fail often. But I can try. And everyone that does the same, begins to help create a global community of caring. So please, stop complaining about 'when will we have peace' and make the thing yourself.

Thank you.

p_quarles
December 3rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Pardon me, but does this really belong in the comunity cafe? It usually seems like this is the type of thing that usually gets locked.
Agreed.