PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i tunes installation

sudeeran
December 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
notable to install itunes on my system.how to install that

Happypants
December 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
I guess you're wanting to install iTunes. (why is beyond me:) )

Wine is capable of running numerous Windows-based apps. I've never tried it with iTunes; maybe someone who has can let you know how it works. It has some bugs still, but if you didn't want to deal with bugs then Linux isn't a good bet for you. :razz:
http://www.winehq.org/

ecom
December 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
i have a similar problem, i already installed WINE but when i try to install itunes, evrything crashes.

but bonjour and quicktime managed to get installed.

help.

I have the itunes 8 setup from apple.com

huanix
December 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
Some of this depends on what you plan to do with iTunes. If you want to listen to music, purchase items from the store, and organize playlists, you are fine. At this time there is no functioning iPhone/iPgod touch support, and no working implementation of Genius for the iPhone.

iTunes 7.6 will run well on Wine. I suggest that if you are relatively new to Linux that you download this older version and use it.

If you want to run iTunes 8, it is possible, but it requires a patched version of Wine. I created a script to install this and state the iTunes set up, but you'll have to know how to run a shell script to make it work: http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/07/itunes-8-running-natively-in-ubuntu-810-with-wine/

While this does install iTunes 8, it does not support Genius due to networking issues.

ecom
December 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
@huanix

i installed itunes 7.6 but it wont detect my ipod. when i insert my ipod, itunes does nothing.
amarok and gtkpod managed to detect my ipod, though.

help me. further help with itunes installation.

razy60
December 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Not sure if this is much help but, last.fm which can work with amaroke and rythmbox has an iplop function for downloading and purchasing of tracks. So you might be able to use that.
I don't own one of jobbys toys so i cant tell if it works in a Linux environment.
Have you looked into Ubuntu studio that is filled with media content.

Raz