PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xorg is grinding my Intrepid system to a halt

akahige
December 1st, 2008, 06:18 AM
I couldn't resist taking the plunge and upgrading from Hardy to Intrepid, and while the whole process didn't go as smoothly as past upgrades, I've got one overwhelming problem that's making me wish I'd just stayed with Hardy: xorg chews up a huge amount of resources and turns everything to mud.

If nothing is going on, then Xorg hovers between 2 - 5% CPU usage (according to top) -- which is not unreasonable. However, if I do anything that requires graphic interaction from the desktop -- e.g. dragging a window around the screen -- Xorg CPU usage skyrockets to >60% and everything gets wonky.

My system isn't powerful enough for me to run visual effects, and under Hardy, with them turned off, the desktop was quite responsive.

Since I never had any problems with my Hardy install, I'm assuming that something didn't go quite right with the upgrade. Googling around, I find that other people have experienced similar behavior, but the reasons are vague, and while bugs have been submitted, there's been no activity to "fix" the issue, if indeed it lies with Xorg.

I'm hoping someone here has some thoughts because this is really frustrating.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this out of control resource consumption eventually locks up the entire desktop, kills the keyboard, and ends up requiring a hard reboot of the system. I had to reboot my locked up Hardy system maybe a half dozen times during the entire course if its life. I've come close to that in the last two days with Intrepid.