PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] disk upgrade erased everything

tanyac
December 1st, 2008, 05:46 AM
perhaps i am inept and this is what would normally happen, but i know i did my last upgrade by disk and did not lose everything. I installed 8.10 today with a disc... and everything now appears to be gone. i would really like to think it is somewhere on my harddrive, but i have no idea how to go about finding the files.

my computer looks like its the first time its been used, there is nothing but the operating system.

any help... just let me know the info you need.

Zzl1xndd
December 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM
the big question is how did you do the "Upgrage"? Did you place the disk in while the system was running, or did you restart and install??

tanyac
December 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
i restarted

hyper_ch
December 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
then you installed from disk and did not upgrade :(

DGortze380
December 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
then you didn't upgrade, you installed.

boot your live cd, open a terminal and type sudo gparted.

Post a screenshot of that window. Don't change anything yet.

tanyac
December 1st, 2008, 08:47 PM
just to be perfectly clear so i dont mess things up worse...

do i start the computer with the disc in the drive, and then choose the run ubuntu without changes (sorry paraphrasing, the first option) and then open a terminal and do as you say?

DGortze380
December 1st, 2008, 10:31 PM
just to be perfectly clear so i dont mess things up worse...

do i start the computer with the disc in the drive, and then choose the run ubuntu without changes (sorry paraphrasing, the first option) and then open a terminal and do as you say?

yes.

I'm just trying to see whether or not your old data is totally gone.

I need that screenshot to tell whether you installed over everything (you probably have, and unfortunately your data will be difficult or impossible to recovery); or if you just installed a dual boot system and resized the original (in which case, we can easily recover your data).

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
screenshot attached.

thanks for your help...

DGortze380
December 2nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
sorry to be the bearer of bad news... you've previous installation has been erased. chances of getting all of your data back are non-existent, you may recover some with tools like test disk or dd rescue.

If you plan to attempt data recovery on the drive, either make an image or bit for bit copy before mounting the drive again. For that, look at tools like mkisofs and dd.

Foolishgrunt
December 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Just to make sure this is clear...

If you restart your computer and boot from the disk before installing, then it will do a clean install and not save any of your data. If you insert the disk while the system is running and upgrade from there, then it will only install the new components and all of your previous settings will be saved.

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
sigh...

well thanks for the help. unfortunately I dont think i am savvy enough to try what you describe above, since i dont know what any of it means.

i lost a book i was writing. :( i have an older version, but i lost about two weeks of work i cannot redo.

DGortze380
December 2nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Just to make sure this is clear...

If you restart your computer and boot from the disk before installing, then it will do a clean install and not save any of your data. If you insert the disk while the system is running and upgrade from there, then it will only install the new components and all of your previous settings will be saved.

Correct.

The more important information is to ALWAYS backup your data before any major changes to your system.

otamotacon
December 2nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
thats pretty much the way it works

hyper_ch
December 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
The more important information is to ALWAYS backup your data before any major changes to your system.

No, not only when you do something major.... ALWAYS have backups. your harddisk may fail from one day to another without doing anything major.

resander
December 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Very sad you lost your data....

The Ubuntu install script should check if there is data on the disk and warn the user clearly that ALL YOUR WORK IN PROGRESS WILL BE LOST IF YOU CONTINUE....

hyper_ch
December 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
The Ubuntu install script should check if there is data on the disk and warn the user clearly that ALL YOUR WORK IN PROGRESS WILL BE LOST IF YOU CONTINUE....

It does... but years of "software installing on windows" is just like:

click yes, click yes, click yes, click yes - without reading anything.

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
sorry to be the bearer of bad news... you've previous installation has been erased. chances of getting all of your data back are non-existent, you may recover some with tools like test disk or dd rescue.

If you plan to attempt data recovery on the drive, either make an image or bit for bit copy before mounting the drive again. For that, look at tools like mkisofs and dd.

thanks for your help. i would like to try a data recovery, but what you describe above i do not know how to do... so unless you want to do some beginer hand holding i think i am screwed.

it is unfortunate, i lost two weeks of heavy editing i have been doing to a book i am writing (my last back up was 2 weeks ago to an external), plus i lost so much music an dphotos that i didnt have backed anywhere. :(

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

the only thing i remember it asking me was whether i wanted to save it to a specific part of the drive, or save it to the largest part of free space... which made me believe that space on my drive was still being taken up by all of my data. oh well. at least i had the important stuff backed up... just not since 2 weeks ago.

i was just so sure of myself because this is how i did previous updates. but that small detail of restarting i guess makes a big difference.

again, thanks to all of you for your help.

hyper_ch
December 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
well, if you want to recover data, then (1) get a drive of equal size or larger and (2) image the original drive to the new one with "dd".

Then you can start recovering.

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
well, if you want to recover data, then (1) get a drive of equal size or larger and (2) image the original drive to the new one with "dd".

Then you can start recovering.

i have an external drive i can use.

but i dont know how to image the drive and i dont know what "dd" is. sorry i am a super novice.

hyper_ch
December 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
do you have at least equal the space on your external drive as your internal drive is large?

if so, what filesystem format has your external drive?

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
yeah the external is twice the size i am pretty sure. right now on the external i just have things i save to back up or transfer between computers at home and work. Its a LACIE drive, i am not sure what you mean by file system.

hyper_ch
December 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
is the filesystem ext3 or ntfs or fat32 or xfs or reiserfs or or or?

tanyac
December 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
is the filesystem ext3 or ntfs or fat32 or xfs or reiserfs or or or?

oh!

NTFS

thanks for your patience!

lisati
December 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM

):P Been there, done that......

oh!

NTFS

thanks for your patience!

Any chance that any of your recent work is saved on your external hard drive? If you're in luck there might be enough there to help save you some mucking around.

hyper_ch
December 2nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
the external drive is ntfs?

tanyac
December 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
it says ntfs when i check the properties when it is plugged into my computer.

and to the other post... yeah, i have a version saved from 2 weeks ago... but in the past 2 weeks i was unfortunately very productive.

mkvnmtr
December 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Just to give you a little hope. There is a good chance that most of your home folder it outside of the new install and you will be able to find it. Listen to these guys and if yuou are not sure ask them again.

hyper_ch
December 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
you then have to

(1) start the live cd
(2) install ntfs-3g to mount the external drive also with write
(3) find out what the internal and what the external drive is (names)
(4) then open a terminal an run

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=/media/external/sdX.iso

where /dev/sdX is your internal drive (very likely /dev/sda) and /media/external is where you have mounted the external drive to.

Be careful here!!!

Once you have made that backup, you can start trying to recover the data with some forensic tools. I heard good thing about photorec but never used it.

tanyac
December 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
okay ... I will try this tomorrow night when i have time off work. I will let you know if i run into any issues.

thanks again so much, even if i cant recover stuff I am very grateful for everyones help and patience.

hyper_ch
December 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
well, basically you make a 1:1 copy of your internal harddisk on your external one (stored as file) and then you can use forensic tools to try and recover data from your internal harddisk.

DGortze380
December 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
you then have to

(1) start the live cd
(2) install ntfs-3g to mount the external drive also with write
(3) find out what the internal and what the external drive is (names)
(4) then open a terminal an run

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=/media/external/sdX.iso

where /dev/sdX is your internal drive (very likely /dev/sda) and /media/external is where you have mounted the external drive to.

Be careful here!!!

Once you have made that backup, you can start trying to recover the data with some forensic tools. I heard good thing about photorec but never used it.

I've never used dd with anything but an empty drive... wont this start at the beginning and overwrite anything already on his external? Or am I wrong and it will start at the first free block?

hyper_ch
December 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
you will have to mount the external drive frist.. hence the path /media/external/sdX.iso where sdX.iso just just the new filename on the external drive which is moutned at /media/external.