PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] JRE Problems With OpenOffice.org 3.0 On 8.10

crashsystems
December 1st, 2008, 03:07 AM
About a month ago I added this repository (http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu/pool/) to my list, and installed OpenOffice.org version 3 on my 8.10 install (64bit). It has been running fine mostly, except today when I tried to use Base. After creating the database file, when I click on the "Tables" button to the left, I get the following error messages:

OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to preform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select another version or install a new JRE and select it under Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java.
Please install the openoffice.org-java-common package for this functionality.

The connection to the data source "testing" could not be established.
No Java installation could be found. Please check your installation!

Initially the version of Java in use was OpenJDK-JRE, which is installed by default in Ubuntu. Thinking that this might be a problem with OpenJDK, I installed Sun Java 6 JRE and selected that in the list, but still received the same error messages. I of course checked to make sure openoffice.org-java-common is installed.

I thought that running a Google search on a part of the errors I received would give me some results. However, I can find nothing on the Internets or The Google to help me with this problem. If you can have any good advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.

taurus
December 1st, 2008, 03:09 AM
What's the output of this command from a terminal?

java -version

crashsystems
December 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
java -version

java version "1.6.0_0"
IcedTea6 1.3.1 (6b12-0ubuntu6) Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_0-b12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_0-b12, mixed mode)

taurus
December 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM
Looks like you are still using the OpenJDK version. Perhaps you need to configure java again.

sudo update-alternative --config java
Make sure you get the right version as your default. Then, see what happens to this command again.

java -version

crashsystems
December 1st, 2008, 03:47 AM
I just ran update-alternatives and selected java-6-sun, but I'm still getting the same result. I ran java -version, and got:

java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

taurus
December 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Isn't that the version that you installed and want to use as a default?

crashsystems
December 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Well if I can get it to work with OpenJDK-JRE I would prefer that over the closed version, but the most important thing is that I get OpenOffice Base working, regardless of which runtime environment I have installed. I installed java-6-sun to see if it might simply be a probjem with OpenJDK.

jamesstansell
December 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
The OO.o preferences has a section for java where it lets you tell it which JRE to use. Please make sure that is set.

crashsystems
December 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I've been into the Java settings a number of times now. Currently it is set to use java-6-sun.:confused:

t35t0r
December 2nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Download a 32 bit jdk/jre and point openoffice to that installation. I
don't know if 64bit ubuntu ships with a 32bit compiled version of
openoffice.

NoBugs!
January 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Does uninstalling those openoffice packages and installing packages directly from OpenOffice.org make it work? If so, it's not the jre.

paulchinnz
April 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I've actually just got the same problem on 9.04 after no problems with 3.0.1 on 8.10, so slightly off topic, but did the OP solve this and how?

richardh9936
May 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have this issue, too. I've tried re-installing OOo, but that didn't fix it. Now I've discovered I had IcedTea, so I've removed the OpenJDK, and will try to get just the Sun version.....[time passes].....

Removing IcedTea also removes the Ubuntu OpenOffice.org (meta) package.... and Synaptic shows all the OOo components uninstalled. I've installed Sun's Java, and verified it with "java -version". However, I can't run OOo-base to see if it's still faulty, because it's no longer available.......[time passes].....