PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Fails With Ubuntun and all versions of Linux

Dizzeh69
December 1st, 2008, 02:20 AM
I am currently trying to install the latest Ubuntu to my sister's computer and it will not install. I have tried Suse, Fedora etc. and those won't work either. The graphic interface never works and it never seems to save to the hard drive so I have to boot from the disk every time.
Current Specs:
AMD Athlon 3000+ 1.8GHz
512MB of DDR-400 RAM
Motherboard Unknow but has Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset
ATI Radeon x300SE Hyper Memory
40GB IDE Western Digital Caviar
Now Ubuntu goes to the command prompt never to the GUI. Its been hours of work and still nothing, but whenever I install any Linux version it can't read certain blocks and all of the CDs are of integrity and the memory is fine. Any ideas anyone?

Note: When installing Ubuntu, after the main loading screen and stuff, the screen shows random green artifacts and things everywhere! Its terrible to look at I thought my monitor was screwed up but that was the image coming through and then it goes straight to the prompt.

Mark Phelps
December 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
One distro you didn't mention was PC Linux OS -- known as PCLOS. They now have both KDE and Gnome versions for 2008. Suggest you check them out. They are not Ubuntu based and may not have the video driver problem you're experiencing with the other distros.

Also, suggest you try running with a LiveCD first. If it gives you decent graphics, you won't have any post-install graphics problems.

As to other distros, OpenSuse 11 just came out as did Fedora 10. I found the first to work and install great on a machine that wouldn't install or run Ubuntu. So, unless you have tried these versions, I suggest you check them out as well.

zwygart
December 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
If you have good knowledge off computers and Linux, I suggest you gentoo. Gentoo is a distro wich have to be compiled entirely. This ase the use to be made for YOUR machine and use it at is full potential. If you can't use gentoo at any way, I am not sure if others Linux will work. The inconvenient of gentoo is that it needs some knowledge.