PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] do I need the build-essential package to install a nvidia driver?

nintendude7cubed
December 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
This sounds like a whiny question and why shouldn't it be since i've been slaving away at trying to figure this out... I went to nvidia.com and got the linux driver i needed and since it was a .run file i knew to run it in the terminal............. it does nothing. So i think maybe its because its on my external harddrive.. nope.. thats not it... little help here..:confused::confused::confused:

Pumalite
December 1st, 2008, 02:01 AM
You need build-essential:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Try the Hardware Drivers first.

nintendude7cubed
December 1st, 2008, 02:11 AM
You need build-essential:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Try the Hardware Drivers first.

i don't mean to be a pain, but is there a way to get this package via windows (ubuntu doesn't have web access (trust me i've tried)) as a .deb file and install it that way?

Pumalite
December 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM
You are going to need a connection to install your driver.

nintendude7cubed
December 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM
You are going to need a connection to install your driver.

i have the .run file so can't i just run it like that and install it? otherwise why would the file even need to exist?

oldos2er
December 1st, 2008, 04:06 AM
i have the .run file so can't i just run it like that and install it? otherwise why would the file even need to exist?

It may need to download dependencies (e.g. linux header source code) during install.

nintendude7cubed
December 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
It may need to download dependencies (e.g. linux header source code) during install.

I looked into that on the debian website and it just leads me to more and more dependencies... the buld essential package depends on like 4 files which also depend on a few each where eventually some cycle back to one you already have and its too difficult.. i wonder if it would be easier to ask about the cheapest wireless pci card thats compatible so i can just download stuff from ubuntu to make my live way easier, because i do have plenty of space in my computer as far as pci goes... whats another 10 or 15 bucks on newegg for a great os. Thanx anyway

oldos2er
December 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, if you can get an internet connection, you'd be good to go. They don't call it "dependency hell" for nothing.

taurus
December 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Isn't the build-essential package and all the dependencies are on the installer CD? Just insert the CD into the drive and run these commands from a terminal.

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update
suod apt-get install build-essential

oldos2er
December 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
build-essential is, but I don't know if linux-headers-* is.