PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the iPod Nano

Tom--d
December 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM
At the moment, I have a iPod Shuffle. I want something like a iPod Nano. 4GB+ in size. Something with a nice UI.

I would like an alternative. Not the fact I don't like iPods (I do) but I want something which is 'different'.

I live in the UK so shipping to there.

Thanks, Tom

linuxguymarshall
December 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM
iPod Touch :)

Honestly you can play with it in the store all you want but until you own one and use it day in and day out you dont know the love. And as of yesterday Linux runs on it

Tom--d
December 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM
I wasnt implying on another iPod :p

And yeah, Saw the video. Wait till Android is on it!

And I dont have the money for that.

Also needs to be Linux friendly :)
No iPhone lock ****.

spupy
December 1st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Sony Walkman. Mine is NZW-whatever. 8GB is a little cheaper than the corresponding nano. It doesn't have the old stupid sony music format. Plays mp3 only i think, videos and pics too. Comes with really good headphones. Drag-and-drop files. I got mine instead of a nano - i know i didn't make a mistake. :)
The UI is simple but ok, nothing spectacular. The one thing I don't like is that you need a windows media player compatible music player to create playlists on it - the device itself has no such functionality.

This one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZA818-Video-Walkman-Battery/dp/B000VD2130/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228088242&sr=8-3
Just search for "sony walkman".

bobbocanfly
December 1st, 2008, 12:39 AM
Sandisk Sansa e280. 8GB and if you get a v1 version off eBay, you can run Rockbox on it. A lost of Sandisk stuff plays ogg and flac by default, so if that stuff interests you, definately worth checking out.

Tom--d
December 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all your help.

I need it to work in Rhythmbox as well.

linuxguymarshall
December 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
You could just build an MP3 player. I built a minty mp3 (http://www.ladyada.net/make/minty/) one time

gletob
December 1st, 2008, 01:14 AM
Sansa Fuze
Rockbox is being ported to it and the original firmware supports drag and drop music (MSC I think) It's like the older fat ipod nano with a rotating (the wheel actually moves unlike the ipod) and it has a radio in it.

zmjjmz
December 1st, 2008, 01:59 AM
iPod Nano 1st gen.
Probably cheap to buy them used these days, and you can put Rockbox on it.

Tom--d
December 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks.. Anymore suggestions?

UbuWu
December 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
The Sansa Clip, wonderful small mp3 player, that even plays ogg and flac files as well.