PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ubuntu Directory & File Structure

CarolinaGuy
November 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Im new to the linux operating system and to Ubuntu. I have my SAMBA SERVER SYSTEM setup using an Athlon 1800+ on a ASUS A7N266-C motherboard. The system hard drive is an 80G hard drive and is now sda1.

I plan to add 3 additional IDE hard drives to this system.

sda1 ubuntu8.04 Server Edition -- 80g
sdb1 - Music -- 250g
sdb2 - Photos -- 250g
sdc1 Movies - 750g
sdd1 TV Recordings - 500g

Looking at this article:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2006/12/20/explanation-of-the-ubuntu-linux-file-structure-ubuntu-all-versions/

/media - mounted (or loaded) devices such as cdroms, digital cameras, etc.
/mnt - mounted file systems

It seems to me that it will be adequate to mount these new drives in either /mnt or /media, but /mnt would be my preferred directory. Anyone with a similar setup care to comment on their setup. The sole purpose of the server is to stream music, photos and movies throughout the house.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD PLAN?

CarolinaGuy

jgoguen
December 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
That seems somewhat wrong to me. I believe Ubuntu follows the filesystem hierarchy standard, where /mnt is for temporarily mounted file systems and /media is for mounting removable media. For what you want to do, following the FHS, I would say everything should be mounted under /srv. I prefer to have subdirectories under /srv denote services provided (ftp, www, smb, etc.) but there's no standard for that. You could probably do /srv/photos/, /srv/music/, etc.

That's of course if you want to follow the standard. Nothing prevents you from making new directories under /media or /mnt and mounting everything there. I admit to breaking the standard by forcing my USB key to mount in a directory inside my home directory :)

louieb
December 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds fine to me. Stuff mounted in /media gets a shortcut automatically added to the desktop. Not sure about /mnt. Guess I should try it. anyway as jgoguen says Ubuntu more or less follows the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html)

hyper_ch
December 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
you can mount it wherever you want :) however I would put it all into /media :)

CarolinaGuy
December 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Jgoguen, louieb and hyper_ch

THANK YOU for your replies and comments. Im new to this and wasnt aware yet of the Filesystem Hierarchy System. Another thanks to louieb for that suggestion. I will read it and ponder each suggestion.

I havent looked at UBUNTU STUDIO, anyone using Ubuntu Studio care to comment on what directory they used to stored and mount their movies, TV shows, photos and music.

THANKS again.

CarolinaGuy