PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] BUG VMware Shutdown Guests Gracefully Fixed

MrFSL
November 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
VMware Server: Version 2.0.0 Build 122956
Ubuntu Server: 8.04 (Hardy)

ISSUE:
After editing Virtual Machines Startup / Shutdown Settings, Ubuntu Guests do startup but do not shutdown gracefully.

FIX:
1) You must install VMware Tools on the Guest.

2) According to the VMware Server documentation and help file the following script is executed during our graceful poweroff

/etc/vmware-tools/poweroff-vm-default

If we look at the contents we see that this file is not enough to power off our virtual:

echo `date` ": Executing '$0'"

scriptsdir="`dirname $0`/scripts/`basename $0`.d"
if [ -d "$scriptsdir" ]; then
for scriptfile in "$scriptsdir"/*; do
[ -x "$scriptfile" ] && "$scriptfile" poweroff-vm
done
fi

In fact if the folder /etc/vmwre-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d does not exist then nothing is really executed at all. We need to create this folder and put a shutdown script inside it.

# Create the directories
sudo mkdir /etc/vmware-tools/scripts
sudo mkdir /etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d

# Create the script
sudo su
echo "halt" > /etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d/halt.sh
chmod 550 /etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d/halt.sh

3) You have to make sure that root has an "Administrator" role under permissions in the web interface.

This is the real bug. During initial setup of the server I was asked what user I wanted as the Administrator. Since I use sudo (Ubuntu default) my root user has no password. Therefore I set my user as the Administrator. This is fine but you have to add root to the permissions with its own administrator role.

This is why:
When the host OS is shutting down and "/etc/init.d/vmware stop" is called it uses "vmware-vimsh" to automate shutdown.
Specifically:

# In my case $authdPort = 902
vmware-vimsh" -r -n -e '"hostsvc/connect localhost '$authdPort'; hostsvc/login; 'hostsvc/autostartmanager/autostop'"'

This is executed as root, and if root does not have an administrative role in vmware it errors out with:

Failed to login: vim.fault.NoPermission

4) Once all the above is done we can execute from the host OS:

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware stop
sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start

Then from the Guest OS we can check that our script was executed using:

tail /var/log/vmware-tools-guestd

A bug report has already been filed by myself with VMware. Hopefully this helps some of you.

MrFSL

orever
June 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for this post, it really helped me. However, the scripting you mention is redundant, as the poweroff script is run before the system is sent a shutdown message. Once the shutdown message is sent, the system will shut down normally as if you had pressed the power button on a real server.

The real key is giving 'root' Administrative access inside of the VMware console. Once you do that, you don't need any scripting and the system will shutdown correctly.