PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Basic Conversion Question

richready
November 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thinking of going to Ubuntu - sick of MS - like the free concept, less system usage, good software programs - less computing power needed, etc. Unsure of exact hardware requirements - now have x64 HP machine with Intel core 2 quad cpu, nVidea graphics driver & 2 Gb of RAM. Vista is working fine, just like the open source concept. My main usage is word processing in Spanish and English, heavy spreadsheet use, email, web surfing, and photo manipulation. I like to be over the curve on hardware capability so as to avoid upgrades as long as possible. What would my CPU, Graphics, and RAM requirements be for Ubuntu?

oilchangeguy
November 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thinking of going to Ubuntu - sick of MS - like the free concept, less system usage, good software programs - less computing power needed, etc. Unsure of exact hardware requirements - now have x64 HP machine with Intel core 2 quad cpu, nVidea graphics driver & 2 Gb of RAM. Vista is working fine, just like the open source concept. My main usage is word processing in Spanish and English, heavy spreadsheet use, email, web surfing, and photo manipulation. I like to be over the curve on hardware capability so as to avoid upgrades as long as possible. What would my CPU, Graphics, and RAM requirements be for Ubuntu?

your computer more than meets the ubuntu requirements. simply burn the iso file to a cd (if you haven't already) and boot from it. and see what if any problems arise. also you may want to try open office in your vista install, to see if it suites your needs. and i'm guessing you're using photo shop. you'll need to install a program like cross over office in ubuntu to be able to run photo shop.

richready
November 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
your computer more than meets the ubuntu requirements. simply burn the iso file to a cd (if you haven't already) and boot from it. and see what if any problems arise. also you may want to try open office in your vista install, to see if it suites your needs. and i'm guessing you're using photo shop. you'll need to install a program like cross over office in ubuntu to be able to run photo shop.
Actually, I was thinking of starting fresh with a Ubuntu certified machine. Do you think the benefits of doing that outweigh the expense? It appears to me that the system requirements might be quite a bit less, but I could get the right drivers for sure, etc. I could keep my windows machine for others here to use. If I go that way, what are the system requirements for my usage?

canthus13
December 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Pretty much anything would work fine for your application from the sounds of it. If you want to be sure of compatibility, go with System76 (http://www.system76.com).

--Me

Gannon8
December 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
I have a 5 year old laptop with 640mb ram (Not sure about processor, but I know it is not dual core) and Ubuntu runs fine, except for the nvidia driver from the website and the fact that Ibex does not support my gfx card :(

It compiles stuff fine and runs everything except Continuum with WINE.

linuxguymarshall
December 1st, 2008, 01:01 AM

If you can run XP you exceed the Ubuntu requirements