PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation hangs at early stage

NautiusMaximus
November 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hi All

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 on a PC that's currently running Windows XP. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P, 3.2GHz Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB of RAM, about 250 GB disk space.

I've downloaded the Ubuntu ISO image, checked the md5 sum, and burned to CD. I can boot from the CD, and it gives me a menu of options. If I select "Install Ubuntu", the installation hangs. I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner, and nothing else. I don't even get as far as options to install as dual boot or replace Windows (my intention is to replace Windows).

I'm a bit of a newbie with Linux, so apologies if there's something really obvious I'm doing wrong here, but I'm a bit stumped about what to do next. Any suggestions?

Thanks
NM

Pumalite
November 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Have you been able to boot the Live CD, getting to the Desktop?

slmouradian
November 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
did you check the CD for defects?

Although the ISO was ok (md5 check), perhaps something got corrupt during burning.

NautiusMaximus
November 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
No, that does the same thing: just a flashing cursor on an otherwise blank screen.

NautiusMaximus
November 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
... and clicking the "Check CD for defects" option also gives me my blank screen with a flashing cursor.

This is the second CD I've burned (I did wonder if the first one might be a dud) with the same result.

Pumalite
November 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Graphics Card and Monitor?

NautiusMaximus
November 30th, 2008, 10:40 PM
The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache. The monitor is a Philips 170C.

Pumalite
November 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'd try the Alternate CD; text based installer designed to avoid graphics problems.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20using%20the%20Alternat e%20CD

NautiusMaximus
December 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Well, seems that I was just being impatient. I figured that if nothing happened for an hour or so, something was wrong.

I came back to the PC this morning after leaving it overnight, and lo and behold it had successfully launched into running Ubuntu in Live CD mode.

The Live CD mode has an option to install for real, so I'm doing that.

Wish me luck!

NautiusMaximus
December 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hm. Progress of a sort I suppose, as it claimed to have installed it. However, now I don't seem to be able to boot. I'll start a new thread about that.