PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install 8.10, last message "checking battery state..."

joke*
November 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi,
I'm new to ubuntu (well, I've installed 1 time, but that was a failure too, because I was writing a thesis atm and I didn't feel like reïnstalling all my needed programs. Linux had been on my computer until it was stolen (bastards!), but I never used it...)

So, I'm trying to install Ubuntu (unlike the other time) on an Acer Aspire 5920. As long as I didn't install, everything went well with the CD, found internet, could actually do things.

Now I was installing it, and I was just partitioning the thing, I think it was just finished, and this code came upon my screen:

Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends [OK]
Starting deferred execution scheduler atd [OK]
Starting periodic command scheduler crond [OK]
Checking battery state... [OK]

It hasn't changed in an hour...

shoo56
November 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem with my acer aspire 5920 trying to dual boot with xp. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

bubbafrye
January 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Same here. I was trying to do a fresh install over an old Dapper Drake I had.

I loaded up the 8.10 Live CD and chose install from the main menu [not the Live CD environment].

I set location, language, formatted the partition and started installing. Files were copying and all seemed well until things started loading.

Right after the "Checking Battery State" line, my screen flickered a few times then sat at the "Checking Battery State" for another hour or so.

The big bummer is that my GRUB loader is busted now [Error 2] and I had to change my BIOS just to get back to my XP drive. [I have Ubuntu on my Primary Master and XP on a separate Primary Slave drive]

Thanks for any feedback!

tark
January 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Same here. I was trying to do a fresh install over an old Dapper Drake I had.

I loaded up the 8.10 Live CD and chose install from the main menu [not the Live CD environment].

I set location, language, formatted the partition and started installing. Files were copying and all seemed well until things started loading.

Right after the "Checking Battery State" line, my screen flickered a few times then sat at the "Checking Battery State" for another hour or so.

The big bummer is that my GRUB loader is busted now [Error 2] and I had to change my BIOS just to get back to my XP drive. [I have Ubuntu on my Primary Master and XP on a separate Primary Slave drive]

Thanks for any feedback!I have the exact same problem: installation is stuck at "Checking Battery State", then i reset the pc and all i get is that GRUB Error 2.

Do you have any idea how to solve the the problem and get ubuntu and windows xp back?

bubbafrye
January 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I was able to get my system up by hitting F4 after booting from the LiveCD. I then chose to insall in 'safe graphics mode' and got to a stable [800x600] desktop.

1) Reguarding the nvidia display drivers, here is how I 'fixed' things. I say 'fixed' because I did this before and it didn't seem to make a difference.

From the Synaptic Pakage Manager, uninstall anything you find related to nvidia [assuming it is display related] - I had about 7 items.

Then follow the steps in the recent thread titled that talks about how much they love the new nvidia drivers. I will upddate with the thread link when I find it again..

2) Access XP again without using GRUB, I had the advantage of reading an old thread a coupld of years back that suggested using seperate physycal drives for your installs - making Ubuntu/GRUB kand on the Master drive and XP on the Slave. I just changed my BIOS to boot from that drive first for a quick jump to XP before things got sorted out.

hope that helps - I'll post more details when I get back to my Ubuntu box at home.

bostonvaulter
January 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM
Does anybody have an actual fix for this problem? I have a similar problem, but I am only getting it when I am trying to update. I am also using the nvidia drivers.

bubbafrye
February 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Here is the thread I was referencing before...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978&highlight=love+nvidia

again.. my 'rescue' process was to
- reboot to the LiveCD and enter Safe Graphics Mode [F4].
- Remove all of the nVidia packages.
- Follow the steps in the posting above to get a clean install of the drivers.

Best of luck.