linuxguymarshall
November 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Death Note and Vampire Hunter D

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
flcl

kaivalagi
November 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Having only recently go into anime tv series, my favourite so far is "Fullmetal Alchemist"

I am currently watching Kurau Phantom Memory, which seems much more "grown up" but also a little slow, hopefully it will pick up.

I've seen L change the world, and will soon be watching Death Note...which I am hoping will walk all over the movie for plot and depth.

I prefer the sci-fi and/or medieval type anime at the mo, any suggestions of things to watch? I have already seen "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "Karas", and like both...

S0VERE1GN
November 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Berserk, totally sweet

nothingspecial
November 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Eureka Seven, but then I`m like that.

Rokurosv
November 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo

ZarathustraDK
November 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion, definitely.

And of course Neon Genesis Evangelion.:)

avaralom
November 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Heh, I'll look a little weird here but I absolutely loved Love Hina. And not for the eyecandy. <<;

mips
December 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Do you guys get Animax Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animax) wherever you are?

Xzallion
December 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
flcl

FLCL for the win! :guitar:

uncholowapo
December 1st, 2008, 12:52 AM
It's an oldie and lasted only 28 episodes but Outlaw Star had me sitting infront of the TV when I was a yung'in. I rewatched the whole thing about a month ago and still found myself 3 inches away from my computer screen.

BGFG
December 1st, 2008, 12:54 AM
Naruto, Claymore, Darker than Black, FLCL, Appleseed Ex Machina. currently getting Ergo Proxy, looks quite interesting.

i recommend the above to anyone

P.S it would seem that dattebayo is really halting naruo subbing efforts next year. (and for a respectable reason i might add) i suggest all fans get to torrenting...

BGFG
December 1st, 2008, 12:55 AM
It's an oldie and lasted only 28 episodes but Outlaw Star had me sitting infront of the TV when I was a yung'in. I rewatched the whole thing about a month ago and still found myself 3 inches away from my computer screen.

I wish i could say the same, I re-watched S-Cry-Ed recently and found it really annoying. I think it was the dubs......

Georgia boy
December 1st, 2008, 02:12 AM
I watch one on IFC called Hell Girl. Seems to be a good one so far. Don't know if there are others on Directv or not.

Tom

Sam
December 1st, 2008, 02:17 AM
One Piece
Dragon Ball
Oruchuban Ebichu

Daggo
December 2nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Tank Police

Icehuck
December 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Currently, it's a three way tie with, Kemeko DX, Toradora, and Kannagi.

Edit - Probably all time favorite is Spice and Wolf.

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Transformers the original 80's one.

I prefer Tokusatsu more.

---------------- Now playing: Evanescence - My Immortal (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/evanescence/track/my+immortal) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

will1911a1
December 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Cowboy Bebop or TriGun probably. The Escaflowne Movie is pretty good.

Icehuck
December 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Oh I completely forgot Strike Witches, now that was a great series as well.

notwen
December 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Ninja Scroll. The Ninja Scroll series wasn't quite up to par as the ova, but quality none the less. =]

chucky chuckaluck
December 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM
i've been watching death note today. can't stop, but i've got to go to work. asterisks!!!

kaivalagi
December 16th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Just finished watching ergo proxy, I highly recommend it....black lagoon is good too

Now started with Mushi-shi, so far very strange....but interesting

BGFG
December 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I've got about 4 more eps to go with ergo proxy. Great anime. Anyone else checked out Darker than Black yet ?

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 16th, 2008, 10:13 PM
GiTS, Ergo Proxy, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop

artir
December 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Bleach ftw!
(also Naruto, Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist)
Weirdest anime ever: Gantz

dannytatom
December 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM
FLCL
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Yu Yu Hakusho

I can never get into the shows enough to actually finish them, though. As pretty and interesting as anime is, it bores me to death before it's ever over. ;(

kaivalagi
December 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
FLCL
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Yu Yu Hakusho

I can never get into the shows enough to actually finish them, though. As pretty and interesting as anime is, it bores me to death before it's ever over. ;(

Black Lagoon is pretty action packed...

dannytatom
December 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Black Lagoon is pretty action packed...

It's not so much the lack of action that bores me, but the voice acting and animation are horrible in most the animes I have seen.

The characters movements aren't fluid, they do that thing where the whole scene is completely still except the characters, their voices never portray real emotions, etc.

This is from the ones I've seen, though. If there are any that don't do the above, let me know and I'll check 'em out. I do love the style & stories most of 'em have.

letriste
December 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Can't stop watching Bleach. It's so cool when it does not summarize or plainly suck. Which is for two minutes every 40th episode...

Death Note rules!! Ninja scroll, Nabari no ou (tho kinda gay), blood+. I had hopes for Blade of the immortal, as the mangas are seriously cool, but not impressed so far...

I sound like I'm 14. I'm 31. That's just sad. But I sounded like this back then too...

Tríste

kaivalagi
December 16th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Can't stop watching Bleach. It's so cool when it does not summarize or plainly suck. Which is for two minutes every 40th episode...

Death Note rules!! Ninja scroll, Nabari no ou (tho kinda gay), blood+. I had hopes for Blade of the immortal, as the mangas are seriously cool, but not impressed so far...

I sound like I'm 14. I'm 31. That's just sad. But I sounded like this back then too...

Tríste

lol, I am 33 going on 14 too.......you just can't beat some of the story lines though :)

Chame_Wizard
December 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
am 21(next month 22)and watching anime for ...11 years :guitar:.

Rhapsody
December 16th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I must admit a special love for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Most series I've seen begin to go stale after a few viewings, but SAC just gets better. Both 1st GIG and 2nd GIG are brilliant in my opinion, I waver constantly on which is bast.

chris4585
December 17th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Cowboy Bebop
Gundam Wing
Gundam 08th MS Team
Outlaw Star
Serial Experiment Lain
Tenchi Muyo: Tenchi In Tokyo and Tenchi Universe

Changturkey
December 17th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Original Gundam.

Grant A.
December 17th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Fullmetal alchemist and .hack//Legend of the Twilight were the best.:popcorn:

BGFG
December 17th, 2008, 02:46 AM
i keep taking notes of what i need to download. Thanks guys.....

RiceMonster
December 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
It's not so much the lack of action that bores me, but the voice acting and animation are horrible in most the animes I have seen.

You're watching English dubs aren't you? The voice acting is always bad in those. Watch it in the original Japanese, the way it was meant to be, with English subs.

magmon
December 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Alucard (whatever his series is) and Inuyasha.

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2008, 03:23 AM

:lol:

I gave up on it somewhere around episode 80...

notwen
December 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Alucard (whatever his series is) and...

Hellsing

=]

MikeTheC
December 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
You can probably tell from my avvy... :)

And supposedly, they're going to come out with a new CGI-based movie this upcoming year.

MikeTheC
December 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
original gundam.

+1

Giant Speck
December 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
My most favorite anime series is definitely Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's complex, sophisticated, and smart, and has just the right mix of action and plot complexity.

Tied for second would be Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop.

BGFG
December 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
:lol:

I gave up on it somewhere around episode 80...

I totally understand, filler can be painfull.

ajcham
December 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I totally understand, filler can be painfull.

I think that's what puts me off many of them - especially when the DVD sets can be so expensive (£10 for every four episodes? No thanks). I tend to stick with the movies instead.

KIAaze
June 6th, 2010, 01:42 AM
2 year old thread about favorite animes?
Couldn't find a better one.

But I just finished watching "Serei no moribito" (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6634) this morning and just have to recommend it. :)
(and while I'm at it, I'll also recommend "Planetes" (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2654).)

luceerose
June 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't be able to narrow down to one or two or probably even 6 favorites. Just off the top of my head...
Shuffle
Bokusatsu Tenchi Dokuro-Chan
Rosario+Vampire
Elfen Lied
Please Teacher
Please Twins

RichardLinx
June 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
flcl
Are you freaking kidding me?

Welcome to the N.H.K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_nhk)

murderslastcrow
June 15th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Try Code Geass, it's a bit newer and a great blend.

Shazzam6999
June 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm not really a big anime watcher but the series I really like are:

Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and YuYu Hakusho... I like Bleach a lot too but I got kind of burned out right after the Bount arc. While I'm on this post though, are there any similar animes to the ones I listed? I'm pretty clueless about anime.

sxmaxchine
June 15th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Ah my goddess is my favorite, i started by reading the manga

byronlewis
June 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Well the best has to be one pice as it's funny. It has a slit romance and some good fights as well.

gutterslob
June 15th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Don't really follow the anime scene that closely, but I have some friends that often recommend me stuff (we have similar tastes, so I trust their judgment)

Series I've enjoyed over the years have been;
Mushishi (the best, imo), Michiko & Hatchin, Paranoia Agent, GITS: Stand Alone Complex, Planetes, Baccano, Aoi Bungaku, Trapeze, Ergo Proxy, Kaiba, Kemonozume, NOEIN, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Haibane Renmei, Gankutsu Ou, Kurau: Phantom Memory and Dennou Coil.

Probably a few more I'm forgetting about, I'm sure.

Not really a fan of giant robots or cutesy-sappy stuff.

Random_Dude
June 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I don't have a favourite, it's too hard to choose.

But here are some of my favourites:

Serial Experiments Lain
Elfen Lied
Afro Samurai
The Girl who leapt through time
Ergo Proxy
Grave of the fireflies

Cheers :cool:

tatsuki
June 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Have many favorites

Top 6 are
full metal panic
full metal alchemist
Bleach
Ergo proxy
Death note
Black lagoon
There a lot more but those are what spring to mind

First anime movie I watched was ghost in the shell (discovered anime for the first time!)

First series was bleach

Only watch in Japanese with English subs! Far better than english dubbed version.

JDShu
June 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Ranma 1/2

I was pleasantly surprised when they made a new episode this year.

These days I mostly read manga.

alphaniner
June 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Planetes and Scrapped Princess are the only two series I can think of that I watched more than once. I haven't got a higher endorsement than that. Another series I really enjoyed but lost track of was Uninhabited Planet Survive.

But of course the greatest anime film of all time is Crayon Shin-chan: Unkokusai no Yabou.

scialen
June 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Tengen Toppa GURREN LAGANN

gillza
June 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM
flcl

Definitely FLCL !!

Also GTO and few others. But FLCL rules them all!

Are you freaking kidding me?

Welcome to the N.H.K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_nhk)

Welcome to the N.H.K. is good but nowhere near absolute best :) sorry

Mollusssc
June 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Presently:
Naruto, Bleach and Chobits :)

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Elfen Lied, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo

Rey117
June 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I hate Naruto with a passion. Elfen Lied is "bloody" great, Samurai Champloo is awesome, and Trigun always been a favorite of mine. DBZ since I was kid.

RichardLinx
June 16th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Definitely FLCL !!

Also GTO and few others. But FLCL rules them all!

Welcome to the N.H.K. is good but nowhere near absolute best :) sorry

Lies! N.H.K. is awesome! But maybe you're right. It's too hard to choose an absolute best once you've seen a certain number of good anime series.

I finally saw Eden of the East, and I thought it was amazing. But still, FLCL? Really? Haha, I guess the soundtrack was good. :)

gogadan
June 16th, 2010, 06:00 AM
death note & kenshin atm for me :)

KingYaba
June 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Cowboy Bebop.

gillza
June 16th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Lies! N.H.K. is awesome! But maybe you're right. It's too hard to choose an absolute best once you've seen a certain number of good anime series.

I finally saw Eden of the East, and I thought it was amazing. But still, FLCL? Really? Haha, I guess the soundtrack was good. :)

I agree N.H.K is pretty good! Actually I started rewatching it again with my significant other yesterday after seeing your post and it is really nice series.

It all boils down to a matter of preference. For example I saw Lelouch of the rebellion both seasons and still can't figure out why so many people absolutely love it and why it has such a high rating. To me it's meh.... Same thing for Eden of the east actually. Oh well I do love FLCL it cracks me up every time I watch it.

Some of the other ones I love in no particular order:

Durarara!!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (new and original)
Ghost in the shell (original movie and its remake)
Cowboy Bebop (series and movie)
Samurai Champloo
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Azumanga
Bakemonogatari
Detroit Metal City
Eve No Jikan
Golden Boy
K-On! and K-On!!
Voices of a Distant Star
Kanon (2006)

Azatos
June 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiyah.

Palanthas
June 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Full Metal Alchemist
Death Note (still need to finish this one)
Trinity Blood
Noir

(Just to name a few) :lolflag:

KrisInfinity
June 16th, 2010, 11:43 PM
The anime I absolutely enjoyed the most (and hoped it lasted a little bit longer) is Death Note.

I also enjoy watching:
Full Metal Alchemist / Brotherhood (last 3 episodes for brotherhood)
One Piece (omg is it ever gonna end, 450 episodes and counting)

Random_Dude
June 16th, 2010, 11:52 PM
The anime I absolutely enjoyed the most (and hoped it lasted a little bit longer) is Death Note.

Longer?

After I finishing it, I thought just the opposite. It would be so much better without 10 episodes or so.
Everyone who has seen it probably knows what I'm talking about.

Sukarn
June 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
My favourites -

Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist

Lightstar
June 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM
My favourites -

Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist

Same here! those are in my top favs.
I also have:
Rurouni Kenshin
Elfen Lied
Evangelion

Currently watching Noein, not bad, I enjoy it

MechaMechanism
September 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I downloaded HeartCatch PreCure! not knowing what it was. Uh, not for me, lol.

What I'm watching now thanks to bittorrent.
Bleach
Naruto: Shippuden
Heroman
K-On!
Nurarihyon no Mago
Seikimatsu Okaruto Gakuin

NCLI
September 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Movie Top 5(In order of preference):
End of Evangelion(Don't watch this before you've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion.)
Millenium Actress
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away

Series Top 10(In order of preference)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Evangelion: New Movie Edition(Yes, I know it's a series of feature films. Still counts as a series in my book)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Death Note
Clannad(And Clannad: After Story)
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL

Everything rated between 7 and 10 in my animelist (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII&show=0&order=4) is definitely worth a watch.

Linye
September 4th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Tengen Toppa GURREN LAGANN

^ this is my #1

Also

Hajime no Ippo (boxing)
Naruto
Initial D
Death Note

For now, these are the ones that I could watch more than once.

AllRadioisDead
September 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Cowboy Bebop
Code Geass
One Piece

M93
September 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
death note
full metal alchemist brotherhood

jwcalla
February 23rd, 2011, 04:03 AM
After I found out that I was the only person in the universe to think FMA Brotherhood is absolutely awful, I began to wonder if I'm a total moron.

MaxIBoy
February 23rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
The only series I'm really familiar with is Cowboy Bebob, which I think is great. Haven't really watched much anime television besides that.

doas777
February 23rd, 2011, 04:20 AM
flcl
++ great stuff there. in that vein, paranoia agent is quite interesting.

I can't list just one, so here is today's top 3:
Welcome to the NHK
Pani Poni Dash
Hand Maid May/Yumeria (nothing serious there. just always puts me in a good mood.)

daksai3
February 23rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
I prefer manga over anime as the ones I like tend to have lots of stupid fillers.

This is just to pass time: Nauto, Bleach, and One Piece.
They really suck these days but a great way for me to ignore homework :D

As for manga: Naruto, Bleach, One piece, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemists, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball

but I'm not much of a manga fan. I just read. No cosplay lawl.

qyot27
February 24th, 2011, 02:50 AM
From a quick browsing of my MAL rankings:
Toradora!
Evangelion
Mahoromatic
Galaxy Angel
Bakemonogatari
Kara no Kyoukai

If we're talking about the current season, then
Yumekui Merry
Infinite Stratos
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

cblnchat
February 24th, 2011, 05:19 AM
BLEACH!! Bleach all the way! For the music and characters mainly. But its just awesome.
On a side note i love S-Cry-Ed, FLCL, Chobits, and am getting into Fullmetal Alchemist.
And some childhood favorites are the Dragon ball and dragon ball z animes...and maybe pokemon even tho i didnt really watch it lol
and i hate naruto btw!

I <3 bleach tho!

jwcalla
February 24th, 2011, 05:50 AM
BLEACH!! Bleach all the way! For the music and characters mainly. But its just awesome.

I <3 bleach tho!

We couldn't tell from your avatar. ;)

cblnchat
February 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
We couldn't tell from your avatar. ;)

lol I know right? Its the first and only anime i really watch. But im WAAY behind. I cant find a station that plays it! :(

theraje
February 26th, 2011, 04:54 AM
lol I know right? Its the first and only anime i really watch. But im WAAY behind. I cant find a station that plays it! :(

Cartoon Network has it on Saturday nights. They play one episode Midnight, Eastern time; and they repeat that episode about four hours later I think.

They're currently in the second Hueco Mundo arc.

MechaMechanism
February 26th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Hulu has Bleach.

http://www.hulu.com/bleach

Although I don't know why you just don't use bittorrent to get Bleach episodes. The fan subs are much better than the dubs.

dh04000
February 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I doubt anyone here knows this one, but my favorite is the 13 episode mini-anime series: Gundam - The 8th MS Team.

MisterGaribaldi
February 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I only started to get into anime like two or three years ago, and I totally dig Cowboy Bebop and Sailor Moon! I have heard good things about Evangelion and Naruto, but I've only seen little clips from them.

doas777
February 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I only started to get into anime like two or three years ago, and I totally dig Cowboy Bebop and Sailor Moon! I have heard good things about Evangelion and Naruto, but I've only seen little clips from them.

the shonen epics like Naruto, Bleach, and Inuyasha take a bit of time investment.
the first 128 eps of naruto fly by (the show is seriously addicting at the beginning), but after that, skip the next two years. it;s all filler, and it really dragged at the shows momentum and timing. nowadays they more gracefully integrate filler arcs interstitially, but it still feels like they drag it out. the filler in bleach over the last 2 years has kinda turned me off to the show entirely.

its all right to run a weekly manga past 400 issues; thats only like 4 years, but a 400 ep anime is just too cumbersome. most of the audience will only be paying attention for at most 6 years.

Random_Dude
February 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
the first 128 eps of naruto fly by (the show is seriously addicting at the beginning), but after that, skip the next two years. it;s all filler, and it really dragged at the shows momentum and timing. nowadays they more gracefully integrate filler arcs interstitially, but it still feels like they drag it out.

I've managed to watch all the Naruto episodes (yes, including the 60 fillers after ep 128 ). Then I started Shippuden and I was really liking the new art and animation, until they got to more fillers and dragging their feet, taking 3 episodes to tell something that would only take one.
It was then that I ditched Naruto, and probably all shonen. Nowadays I just watch my occasional seinen, its a much better investment of you time, since the series tend to have a better quality IMO.

sffvba[e0rt
February 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM

I love Ed...

jwcalla
February 27th, 2011, 03:16 AM
It's anime night on adult swim: Bleach, Kekkaishi, FMA Brotherhood, Big O and Cowboy Bebop.

Who's in?

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2011, 03:17 AM
There are very few dubs I can stand. They just usually do not get the culture right. :/

jwcalla
February 27th, 2011, 03:21 AM
There are very few dubs I can stand. They just usually do not get the culture right. :/

Well that's a given. Once the Americans get their hands on things it kinda strips out the original intent and style. Plus the voices tend to not match the characters well at all.

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Well that's a given. Once the Americans get their hands on things it kinda strips out the original intent and style. Plus the voices tend to not match the characters well at all.

There are a few that I like as well, such as Wolf's Rain, Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo. The dubs of Bleach and Death Note leave much to be desired though. :/

kungpo
February 27th, 2011, 03:42 AM
The last anime film I watched was about a year ago- it was about the life and adventures of a little boy during a war conflict backdrop.

before this it was Akira in the early ninties and Fist of the North star.
all 3 blew me away

Would'nt know where to start with an anime series.

ubuntu27
February 27th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I do not watch Anime anymore, but I do read manga.
I think Manga is better... the still images convey so many things that the animated ones can't.
Also, there is a sweet sense that you get when you read instead of just watching...

Anyway, I recommend you to read a story called "Noblesse" google it. You will love it!

doas777
February 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM
The last anime film I watched was about a year ago- it was about the life and adventures of a little boy during a war conflict backdrop.

all 3 blew me away

well, I would recommend Paprika and Summer Wars (both movies). loved both of them.
in terms of series, it kind of depends on genre choices you make. in each category there are always a few seminal examples that everyone should check out. in the boys group, action, comedy, and romance/comedy are the primary silos, all with varying degrees of fan-service.

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Watch anything by Studio Ghibli as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli

MisterGaribaldi
February 27th, 2011, 04:01 AM
See, here's where I have a problem with this whole situation.

Japanese and western cultures are VERY different from each other. So, even under ideal circumstances (Japan spoke English, America (etc.) spoke Japanese) there's a lot we still wouldn't get because it's what they call "culture-bound".

And, frankly, it's a darned shame too because frequently anime gets shoved into one end in Japanese and comes out the other end in English and a lot of the plot points or names for things, or character expositions, just sound almost 5-year-old-child stupid. I'm certain that's not what the creators intended, but something happened somewhere along the line and it just went wrong.

A friend of mine was showing me something called Gatchaman a few months ago (these episodes came out in the 1990s sometime, I think) and they got the dialog pretty much what I'd call "perfect". As I said up-thread, I really like Cowboy Bebop, but they could take lessons from whomever did this series.

What I think the problem is, kind of goes back to something Martin Luther said about translating the Bible from Latin/Greek/etc. into German: "Not 'word-for-word' but 'meaning-for-meaning'."

Several years ago, a friend on the 'net who lives in Taiwan used to get with me all the time during the first couple seasons of the new Battlestar Galactica. He wanted to get the dialog translated so his friends and family could watch and understand it. The approach I took was to write out for him the exact literal dialog as spoken, and then where it was appropriate, I would write out what the intended meaning was. This was useful where metaphors were used, or figures of speech, or double entendere, or technical jargon, and so forth. Again, not word-for-word, but meaning-for-meaning. He said it really helped him out a lot, and I was happy to do it.

Now, if some anonymous amateur "dude on the Internet" can do this, it clearly isn't rocket science. :D

jwcalla
February 27th, 2011, 04:08 AM

all 3 blew me away

You could give Fullmetal Alchemist a try and see if it's your cup of tea. And it's one of the few where the English dub was actually pretty good*... well, to my untrained eye at least. (And I'm not much of an anime connoisseur so take what I say with a grain of salt.)

(* and by "good" I don't necessarily mean "accurate", but, rather, still enjoyable)

qyot27
February 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM
And, frankly, it's a darned shame too because frequently anime gets shoved into one end in Japanese and comes out the other end in English and a lot of the plot points or names for things, or character expositions, just sound almost 5-year-old-child stupid. I'm certain that's not what the creators intended, but something happened somewhere along the line and it just went wrong.
I honestly haven't paid attention to dubs for years, but this was still truer of stuff from the pre-2000 booms than it was those afterward. Unless the series was licensed by 4Kids, who still continue to butcher shows like nobody's business.

It took quite some time for anime to start breaking out of the Animation Age Ghetto (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhetto), colloquially-speaking. Or rather, to break the perception that the stuff fell into one of two categories: Saturday morning children's fare, or dirty, dirty, smut*. Fans of the medium obviously were well aware of the breadth of genre and content, but Joe Average from Pleasant-ville, USA...not so much.

*To wit: look at what most American distributors did to series that actually aired on television throughout the 60s-90s, and the popular joke amongst old-school fans that the question "which anime was your first?" was redundant because everyone already knew the answer was Overfiend.

A friend of mine was showing me something called Gatchaman a few months ago (these episodes came out in the 1990s sometime, I think) and they got the dialog pretty much what I'd call "perfect". As I said up-thread, I really like Cowboy Bebop, but they could take lessons from whomever did this series.
I believe the Gatchaman dub was done around 2004 or 2005, several years after Cowboy Bebop.

Of course, that was *not* the first time the series had been adapted to English. In the 70s and 80s it showed up under different names (Battle of the Planets in the late 70s, G-Force ca. 1985) and different levels of faithfulness to the original material. There was also Eagle Riders (from 1997) which was an adaptation of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman F.

What I think the problem is, kind of goes back to something Martin Luther said about translating the Bible from Latin/Greek/etc. into German: "Not 'word-for-word' but 'meaning-for-meaning'."
200% agreed. Even with fansubs, which try to convey a lot more of the original Japanese nuances and soforth than domestic translations usually do, I just have to shake my head over all the petty outrage over groups not being 'literal' enough for some of their viewers. It often boils down to said viewers/readers having a nasty case of armchair translation syndrome.

I studied German for a whole 7 years throughout middle and high school, and also had a couple of years of French. English is a Germanic language, and it also has a fairly good portion of Norman (i.e. French) influence as well. So-called 'literal' translation is not true of either one of them; translation is foremost an art, not a science. If the linguistic relatives of English, like German and French, cannot be conveyed 'literally' (even if they appear to allow for such, structurally; all translations are, by definition, an interpretation of the intended meaning of the phrase(s) by the translator), what makes one think it's going to magically be possible for something as alien to English as Japanese (or Hebrew or Koine Greek, for that matter)? It's absurd.

I also think much of the dissatisfaction lies not with the translator - the critics seem to forget that translations need editing, and the editors are often not the same people who performed the translation. An editor's job is to make the translations sound natural and convey the connotative meanings to a speaker of the target language, not to score brownie points with viewers who demand a 'translation' be buzzworded six ways to Sunday just to make themselves feel validated.

nerdtron
February 27th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist and Outlaw Star are my favorite. I also recommend Avatar: The Legend of Aang. All complete series

MisterGaribaldi
February 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I honestly haven't paid attention to dubs for years, but this was still truer of stuff from the pre-2000 booms than it was those afterward.
Really? Huh. Well, I've only really watched a smattering of episodes and a couple series, so it's a little hard to tell what happened when and where.

I believe the Gatchaman dub was done around 2004 or 2005, several years after Cowboy Bebop.

Of course, that was *not* the first time the series had been adapted to English. In the 70s and 80s it showed up under different names (Battle of the Planets in the late 70s, G-Force ca. 1985) and different levels of faithfulness to the original material. There was also Eagle Riders (from 1997) which was an adaptation of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman F.Oh wow, that is pretty old-school then. Yeah, I'm more interested in the newer stuff then, I guess.

What can you guys tell me about Trigun? That's the western-themed one, I think. It looks cool. Is it any good?

Random_Dude
February 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Was this one Grave of the Fireflies? If not, go watch that one.

KIAaze
February 27th, 2011, 09:51 AM
What can you guys tell me about Trigun? That's the western-themed one, I think. It looks cool. Is it any good?

Yes. Well, I liked it at least. :)
It's a mix of western, sci-fi, drama and comedy.
A bit like Rurouni Kenshin in a western/sci-fi setting according to me, in the sense that you have a character who is extremely powerful, but refuses to kill no matter what and the mix of drama with comedy (which is common in a lot of anime).

Here's a review if you want: http://www.anime-planet.com/reviews/a337.html

And just to add a new anime to this thread:
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

It's an adaptation of the novel by Alexandre Dumas in a futuristic setting. And very well done.
In fact, it's one of the reasons I started reading the novel now. I want to know the original story. :)

doas777
February 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Really? Huh. Well, I've only really watched a smattering of episodes and a couple series, so it's a little hard to tell what happened when and where.

Oh wow, that is pretty old-school then. Yeah, I'm more interested in the newer stuff then, I guess.

trigun rocks. definitely check it out.

NCLI
February 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You should definitely watch Evangelion. Don't bother with Naruto, read the manga if you really like it.

all 3 blew me away

I always start people off with Death Note, it's a 37 episode series, and extremely well made. Most importantly, you don't need to know anything about Japanese culture to understand it.
From there, I'd recommend you to watch everything rated "10" on my list (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII&show=0&order=4), then work your way down from there :)

I do not watch Anime anymore, but I do read manga.
I think Manga is better... the still images convey so many things that the animated ones can't.
Also, there is a sweet sense that you get when you read instead of just watching...

Anyway, I recommend you to read a story called "Noblesse" google it. You will love it!
It's all about watching the right anime. I almost never watch manga adaptations, only original works, as the manga is almost always superior(Death Note is a notable exception, IMO).

kungpo
February 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
well, I would recommend Paprika and Summer Wars (both movies). loved both of them.
in terms of series, it kind of depends on genre choices you make. in each category there are always a few seminal examples that everyone should check out. in the boys group, action, comedy, and romance/comedy are the primary silos, all with varying degrees of fan-service.

Thanks they both look very good.

You could give Fullmetal Alchemist a try and see if it's your cup of tea. And it's one of the few where the English dub was actually pretty good*... well, to my untrained eye at least. (And I'm not much of an anime connoisseur so take what I say with a grain of salt.)

(* and by "good" I don't necessarily mean "accurate", but, rather, still enjoyable)

That looks pretty good of the first 5 mins I watched, and it is original Japanese with Engish subs, no dub.

Was this one Grave of the Fireflies? If not, go watch that one.

Yes that's the one.

Random_Dude
February 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Yes that's the one.

Definitely one of the my favorites.
If you like movies instead of whole series, I also recommend The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4151) .

It's probably my favorite movie (in terms of anime) so far.

SeijiSensei
February 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Perhaps I can help you expand your horizons beyond the kind of shows available on American television.

Long-time favorites (unordered):

Monster (http://www.hulu.com/naoki-urasawas-monster)
Twelve Kingdoms (http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/browse/item/83217/4/0/0)
"Bakeneko (http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/browse/item/73880/4/0/0)"
Moribito (http://www.crunchyroll.com/moribito)
Oh! Edo Rocket (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=144)
Welcome to the NHK! (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=64)
Baccano! (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=6)
Nodame Cantabile (http://www.crackle.com/c/Nodame_Cantabile/) (dub-only)
Story of Saiunkoku (http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/browse/item/84434/4/0/0)
Noein (http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/browse/item/76665/4/0/0)

Unlicensed in Region 1:
Mononoke
Kure-nai
Dennou Coil
Bartender

Currently watching: Level E (http://www.crunchyroll.com/level-e), Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Others worth watching and available legally in Region 1: House of Five Leaves (http://www.youtube.com/show/houseoffiveleaves), Kuragehime (http://www.youtube.com/show/princessjellyfish), Claymore (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=17), Natsume Yuujinchou (http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Natsume_Yujincho), School Rumble (http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=82), Angelic Layer (http://www.crunchyroll.com/angelic-layer), Hanamaru Kindergarten (http://www.crunchyroll.com/hanamaru-kindergarten), Cross Game (http://www.vizanime.com/cross-game)

gintovan
February 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Wow, a anime topic on ubuntuforums :D

So do you want a top 5 or a top 100?

I'll start with the 10 best I can think of right now:

Death Note
Berserk
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Gintama
Katanagatari
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Spice and Wolf
Kurozuka
Haibane Renmei
... And I could go on for about 300 more :P

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I (oddly enough, with my being american) like high school themed anime, such as Full Metal Panic (and the comedy one, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu). Give those a go as well. The normal show is mix comedy/action/robots. The comedy one is more high school.

doas777
February 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Wow, a anime topic on ubuntuforums :D
Haibane Renmei

I'm surprised to see this one come up, but I was hoping it would. very likely one of the most artistic anime I've every watched. completely different genre choice than I would usually make, but it always lands in my top 10.

doas777
February 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I (oddly enough, with my being american) like high school themed anime, such as Full Metal Panic (and the comedy one, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu). Give those a go as well. The normal show is mix comedy/action/robots. The comedy one is more high school.
if you haven't, check out pani poni dash, and school rumble. both are long term fav's for high school comedies.

RiceMonster
February 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I'm surprised to see this one come up, but I was hoping it would. very likely one of the most artistic anime I've every watched. completely different genre choice than I would usually make, but it always lands in my top 10.

I tried to watch it, and I couldn't make it through the whole series. Didn't interest me.

doas777
February 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I tried to watch it, and I couldn't make it through the whole series. Didn't interest me. understandable. if you are not in it for a different kind of experience, it falls flat.

NCLI
February 28th, 2011, 12:23 AM
understandable. if you are not in it for a different kind of experience, it falls flat.

It looks quite interesting, thanks for the recommendation :)

tanya14
March 1st, 2011, 04:14 AM
I love Dragonball Z.. I'll always watch this anime. Especially after the Frieza saga.. For me, Dragonball Z is the best!! I hate Dragonball GT..

NightwishFan
March 1st, 2011, 04:19 AM
I love Dragonball Z.. I'll always watch this anime. Especially after the Frieza saga.. For me, Dragonball Z is the best!! I hate Dragonball GT..

Agreed. You might like the original Dragonball as well. Give it a go! :)

Edit: Gotta admit on paper Emperor Pilaf returning and wishing Goku back to a child is a master plot. In practice? The show was terrible. :(

Jagoly
March 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
Alucard (whatever his series is) and Inuyasha.

OMG... You watched the series and can't remember the name!?
HELLSING!!!

the bird of hermes is my name
eating my wings to make me tame

anyone who puts down the dub be dammed. if anime is set in england, it should be in english.

and code geass. if england invaded japan, something tells me that the king wouldn't start using japenese.

Also Rosario + Vampire is epic

Damn were nerds...

NCLI
March 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
OMG... You watched the series and can't remember the name!?
HELLSING!!!

the bird of hermes is my name
eating my wings to make me tame

anyone who puts down the dub be dammed. if anime is set in england, it should be in english.

and code geass. if england invaded japan, something tells me that the king wouldn't start using japenese.

Damn were nerds...
It's not about logic, it's talent. The Japanese VA's are simply superior, and the guy who did Lelouch won the seiyu awards twice for CG and CG: R2.

In general, CG has one of the strongest voice casts of any anime, and the English version just can't live up to them, but it's not just CG. Japanese VA's are just generally more talented, probably because it's its own separate education.

RiceMonster
March 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
It's not about logic, it's talent. The Japanese VA's are simply superior, and the guy who did Lelouch won the seiyu awards twice for CG and CG: R2.

In general, CG has one of the strongest voice casts of any anime, and the English version just can't live up to them, but it's not just CG. Japanese VA's are just generally more talented, probably because it's its own separate education.

Agreed x a million. I find the english dubs always have poor voice acting that can really ruin the anime.

As for the part about the King speaking Japanese, it's because it was made to be aired in Japan. There are many North American TV shows and movies that have people in foreign countries speaking English as well.

doas777
March 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM

I'm a sucker for almost anything from CLAMP. Tsubasa/xxxHolic (hence my avatar) are some of my favorite manga. the anime for them was great, but sadly so incomplete as to be disappointing.

qyot27
March 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
Only if you're referring to the manga. GONZO absolutely butchered the anime, just like every other property they get their hands on.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 1st, 2011, 09:59 PM
It's not about logic, it's talent. The Japanese VA's are simply superior

Just my taste, but I find the jap. voices plain cheesy and dull in every anime I've ever watched. Also can't be bothered reading subtitles. As for my favourite, that would be either Planetes or Ergo Proxy.

Jagoly
March 1st, 2011, 11:08 PM

In the Japanese version lelouch sounds like a drunk fat man.

Only if you're referring to the manga. GONZO absolutely butchered the anime, just like every other property they get their hands on.

The manga is better, but the anime is still great.

NightwishFan
March 1st, 2011, 11:12 PM
Watch Death Note. The Japanese voice actors go above and beyond. :)

panderohit
March 1st, 2011, 11:49 PM
Serial Experiments: Lain

Random_Dude
March 2nd, 2011, 12:07 AM

Excellent one.:popcorn:

Have to watch it again though, I missed a lot of things.

NCLI
March 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM
Agreed x a million. I find the english dubs always have poor voice acting that can really ruin the anime.

As for the part about the King speaking Japanese, it's because it was made to be aired in Japan. There are many North American TV shows and movies that have people in foreign countries speaking English as well.
\\:D/

I generally find that people who prefer dubs do so because they don't like subtitles. With the risk of sounding racist, they're usually american, probably because they dub everything.

I'm a sucker for almost anything from CLAMP. Tsubasa/xxxHolic (hence my avatar) are some of my favorite manga. the anime for them was great, but sadly so incomplete as to be disappointing.
What does that have to do the the post you quoted? xD

Just my taste, but I find the jap. voices plain cheesy and dull in every anime I've ever watched. Also can't be bothered reading subtitles. As for my favourite, that would be either Planetes or Ergo Proxy.
Well, good for you. You are in the minority on this though.

In the Japanese version lelouch sounds like a drunk fat man.
Uh, ok, are you trying to provoke me or something? Kinda childish.

Anyway, fortunately for the rest of us, you are part of a very, very small minority on this.

jwcalla
March 2nd, 2011, 01:51 AM
For some reason people have failed to mention just how amazing* Kekkaishi is.

(* And by amazing I mean kinda somewhat okay... 8-[)

Jagoly
March 2nd, 2011, 06:45 AM
I generally find that people who prefer dubs do so because they don't like subtitles. With the risk of sounding racist, they're usually american, probably because they dislike subtitles

I don't mind subtitles. I just think the CG makes more sense in English. If the dub is ok then I prefer that. Eg. Code geass, hellsing, GITSSAC.

I would rather shoot myself then be forced to watch shuffle in English.

PS: jap lelloush does sound stupid.

Jagoly
March 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Every single episode/movie of pokemon with wingull in it. Plus most of season 1. The rest can die in a hole.

doas777
March 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
What does that have to do the the post you quoted? xD

Code Geas is a Sunrise + CLAMP original.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Code_Geass

jwcalla
April 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM
So what anime do people recognize for having great soundtracks? The music is one of my biggest attractions.

Here's a song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFbiKyh0w68) I like from Bleach Fade to Black.

Random_Dude
April 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
So what anime do people recognize for having great soundtracks? The music is one of my biggest attractions.

Here's a song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFbiKyh0w68) I like from Bleach Fade to Black.

I like the intro of Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop, great opening themes.

Jagoly
April 5th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Code geass...
Hoo hah.
Hoo hah.

Rosario + Vampire Capu2 opening

dh04000
April 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM

SEL was one those animes whoes only goal was to see how far they could push the limits and keep even two viewers. I watched it once because it was like a train wreck, its hard not to look. As a part of growing up and being an adult, I now look down on attempts to be radical just to catch attention, so I really look down on SEL for being just an aweful piece of garbage that it is.

But that's just my opinion. I may be getting cranky with age.

del_diablo
April 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
If you want "Radical", you could always watch Evangelion or Madoka.

dh04000
April 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
If you want "Radical", you could always watch Evangelion or Madoka.

I unfortunately did watch Evangelion. I watched it in highschool before I knew what "good" was. I put Evangelion with SEL. Both are aweful. They just want to push bounderies with out caring for story line, real character development, or making a "good" show. The end result for both is a steaming pile of garbage. Wastes of time, both of them.

SeijiSensei
April 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM

I'm partial to either orchestral soundtracks like those in Dennou Coil or Noein, or jazz-flavored scores like you find in Oh! Edo Rocket or Bartender.

Random_Dude
April 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM
SEL was one those animes whoes only goal was to see how far they could push the limits and keep even two viewers. I watched it once because it was like a train wreck, its hard not to look. As a part of growing up and being an adult, I now look down on attempts to be radical just to catch attention, so I really look down on SEL for being just an aweful piece of garbage that it is.

But that's just my opinion. I may be getting cranky with age.

At least it pushes the boundaries, not like the series that you see today that are all about guys you end up living with a bunch of girls with huge breasts. After the main character is settled in the house, he spends the next 20 episodes falling on girls breasts and getting slapped. And you've got yourself a very original anime series.