PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Firefox

3dmatrix
November 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I had uninstalled flash pluging through synaptec. On realizing the mistake i tried many times to install flash-nofree and acrobat flash but non of them worked. Finally i uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it. but even that didnt work. So i finally downloaded firefox and flash from their respective websites and installed them (unzip and copy/paste). It works fine, but i am unable to install java plugin to it. Can any one tell how i could do that. I would also like to make the default browser (instead of the original firefox), how can i do that.

Partyboi2
December 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM
Try installing ubuntu-restricted-extras for java plugin problem.
To change your default browser you should be able to go to System>Pref>Prefered Applications and select "custom" then for "command" enter the new one.

3dmatrix
December 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Installed ubuntu-restricted-extras but it didnt work. When i installed java earlier, it worked in the default browser but not in the new firefox. How can i activate java plugin in my new browser ?

ibutho
December 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM
You need to create a symlink from the location of libjavaplugin_oji.so to your firefox plugins directory

ls -l /usr/java/default/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/firefox/plugins/.
Make sure the path to Firefox corresponds to your own version of Firefox.

3dmatrix
December 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
there is no such file at that location, rather there is one at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7 will that work ?

Copy pasted /usr/lib/gcj-4.2-81/libjcjwebplugin.so in the firefox pluginn dir and it is working now. Is it a correct thing to do ?

jamesstansell
December 3rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
there is no such file at that location, rather there is one at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7 will that work ?

Copy pasted /usr/lib/gcj-4.2-81/libjcjwebplugin.so in the firefox pluginn dir and it is working now. Is it a correct thing to do ?

The first one is what ibutho was trying to direct you to. (Note that the 6u6 jre had some security problems so if you wanted to use the sun-java6-plugin I would recommend getting the 6u7 version. My guess is that you're on hardy [ubuntu 8.04] so would need to enable the hardy-updates repository.)

The second one - doing the copy is ok, especially since it's working for you. The gcj plugin isn't recommended very often. It was re-worked into the icedtea6-plugin which appeared first in ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) and is probably more suitable for general-purpose browsing than the gcj plugin was.

3dmatrix
December 3rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Thanx Its working fine but every time an applet loads it asks for a confirmation to do so.

flclvr8780
December 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
i upgraded to firefox 3.0 and now i dont have show all history showing anything. if i go to type or click the address bar drop down, its there but i cant view all my history. any ideas