PDA

View Full Version : KDE4 users - Share your setups with the world

Sand & Mercury
November 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I've been looking at the Neon builds of KDE 4.2 and I'm really very impressed with it -- to the point that I'm even considering switching to using it full-time from GNOME. But my main problems are that there are still a lot of GTK programs I depend upon that look terrible in KDE, and I've found Kubuntu to be very bad at providing alternatives (Adept is just terrible as a package manager, archives don't have anything to open with, can't install .debs via double-click like Gnome does).

So if you're using KDE4 full time, what programs are you using in place of the Ubuntu regular ones? I'm happy to settle for Opera instead of Firefox, but aside from that I am at a loss.

gjoellee
November 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
About bad looking GTK apps, see if this helps: http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=811752

Skripka
November 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I've been looking at the Neon builds of KDE 4.2 and I'm really very impressed with it -- to the point that I'm even considering switching to using it full-time from GNOME. But my main problems are that there are still a lot of GTK programs I depend upon that look terrible in KDE, and I've found Kubuntu to be very bad at providing alternatives (Adept is just terrible as a package manager, archives don't have anything to open with, can't install .debs via double-click like Gnome does).

So if you're using KDE4 full time, what programs are you using in place of the Ubuntu regular ones? I'm happy to settle for Opera instead of Firefox, but aside from that I am at a loss.

Adept is currently broken. Many KDE4 users are using Ye Olde Synaptic

Gdebi is what I use for click-to-install of Debian packages.

What other "regular" applications?

Firefox3 runs fine here--though I use Opera normally.

FWIW-4.2 Beta1 tuns VERY badly here...as in-it doesn't detect any of my applications, and it segfaults when trying to logout....amongst other showstoppers (see my hardware below)

Sand & Mercury
November 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Adept is currently broken. Many KDE4 users are using Ye Olde Synaptic

Gdebi is what I use for click-to-install of Debian packages.

What other "regular" applications?

Firefox3 runs fine here--though I use Opera normally.

FWIW-4.2 Betamanagers?1 tuns VERY badly here...as in-it doesn't detect any of my applications, and it segfaults when trying to logout....amongst other showstoppers (see my hardware below)
Thanks heaps man.

How about for managing archives? (zips, rars, 7zs and the like)

OpenOffice is looking quite bad too at the moment, though installing the openoffice.org-crystal package got it at least usable.

clearloon
November 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
What programs do you use that you think are lacking?

I've always been a KDE user so "Ubuntu regular ones" does'nt really mean much to me.

You know that any Ubuntu app will work just fine in Kubuntu too yeah?

clearloon
November 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ark for managing archives...

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
well this is another reason why I feel KDE4 isnt that great, its implimentation of GTK themes is terrible, even with gtk-qt.
I am sure though this will get better but it cant happen soon enough in my opinion

Mazza558
November 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
This is my fairly basic KDE 4.2 setup. I'm using Neon.

mips
November 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM

I generally stick with KDE apps. I have no idea what apps Gnome use so maybe be more specific as to which type of apps you are looking for.

To make Firefox pretty look at KDE4 + Firefox3:
http://ramonantonio.net/kde-firefox/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7574 Same thing but needs login.

To manage archives just use Ark.

Using Arch + KDEmod here. Kubuntu is an abomination is you ask me :)

Sand & Mercury
November 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks a lot everyone, you've helped a great deal :D

My last major hurdle is a client to use with the WLM network, currently I use Emesene but it has problems with the gtk-qt implementation. Kopete seems to have removed support for that network in the latest versions too... :/

Grant A.
November 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
well this is another reason why I feel KDE4 isnt that great, its implimentation of GTK themes is terrible, even with gtk-qt.
I am sure though this will get better but it cant happen soon enough in my opinion

That can be fixed by removing the "force Qt themes on GTK apps" option. Then you can theme your GTK apps theme via the GTK theme selector.

EdThaSlayer
December 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
Well:

I use
1.Kmess instead of Pidgin
2.Ktorrent instead of Deluge
3.Dolphin instead of Nautilus

The rest are just all your basic applications.
Thanks to gjoellee advise of going to http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=811752, made everything look so much better.Even firefox looked good,but then thanks to mips with the KDE theme it looks just great!

I like KDE4 a lot though, you can change the skins of basically everything you come across.

Did I mention I had a clock widget, battery widget, desktop widget, and trashcan widget?