PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transmission ?

nu2this2
November 30th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

Trying to use transmission and having very slooooow DL speed.
I went to edit-preferences and noticed that the incoming tcp port indicates "closed". Is there a firewall installed automatically with 8.04?

Also, "Automaqtically Map Port" is checked. What does that mean?

Any suggestions?-------------Thank you.

gandaran
November 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

I went to edit-preferences and noticed that the incoming tcp port indicates "closed". Is there a firewall installed automatically with 8.04?

all ports are usually open in ubuntu (maybe it's your router firewall), and yes there's a firewall in ubuntu, you can install a firewall gui http://gufw.tuxfamily.org/index.html and set up transmission like this http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example2pq6.png

nu2this2
November 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I have forwarded the ports in my router

nu2this2
November 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Is there a way to shut down the firewall in Ubuntu while downloading?

madsmeg
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
all ports are usually open in ubuntu

Are you sure on this point, because that does not sound right to me at all....

gandaran
November 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Is there a way to shut down the firewall in Ubuntu while downloading?
type ufw in terminal for options if you don't want the gui

MrWES
November 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
do you have UPnP enabled on your router, and might you be running moblocker and/or ipblocker?

Bill

jgoguen
November 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hi all,

There is a firewall installed by default, but not turned on by default. This is because no ports are open by default in a standard Ubuntu installation. Thus, if you haven't set up a firewall, there's nothing to shut down while downloading. The "Automatically Map Port" option tells Transmission to try to talk to your router to set up port forwarding. If this doesn't work, make sure your router has UPnP enabled.

Your slow speeds might be related to the port being closed. You said that you had enabled port forwarding on your router, did that fix it? Also, do you have a static address? If not, your port forwarding may suddenly stop working if you get a different IP address. The better solution is to make sure UPnP is enabled on your router (directions are different for every brand) and make sure that Transmission opens the ports properly. If port forwarding isn't working properly, that should be filed as a bug against Transmission.

mkvnmtr
November 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM
When I have used transmission I too noticed that it said the port was closed. In spite of that if I had seeders I could attain the maximium speed that my ISP allows. I have no idea why. On my mac system I used port fowarding but I never did anything on Ubuntu. I now use KTorrent and like it better. It is the same I never did anything and get the maximium speed. Sometimes al little better than I got on Mac.

CLomax
December 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
When using bit torrents the speed depends more on the number of seeders (people uploading) and leechers (people downloading). Even with closed ports it's possible to get high-ish speeds.

philinux
December 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
There is a firewall installed by default, but not turned on by default. This is because no ports are open by default in a standard Ubuntu installation. Thus, if you haven't set up a firewall, there's nothing to shut down while downloading.

Basic iptables howto

Iptables is a firewall, installed by default on all official Ubuntu distributions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu). When you install Ubuntu, iptables is there, but it allows all traffic by default. Ubuntu 8.04 Comes with ufw - program for managing a netfilter firewall

There is a wealth of information available about iptables, but much of it is fairly complex, and if you want to do a few basic things, this How To is for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo