PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing - Client No IP

spikoley
November 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I have set up internet connection sharing, but the client cannot get an IP address. The network manage shows it connected but there is no IP address. I have tried manually setting it up and using dhcp. Any ideas? I am running Ibex on both machines. Thanks.

drubin
November 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have set up internet connection sharing, but the client cannot get an IP address. The network manage shows it connected but there is no IP address. I have tried manually setting it up and using dhcp. Any ideas? I am running Ibex on both machines. Thanks.

Have you tried manually assigning the computers ip address. Click on networks, properties, from the drop down static ip. Make the the 2 ip addresses are unique.

spikoley
November 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Have you tried manually assigning the computers ip address. Click on networks, properties, from the drop down static ip. Make the the 2 ip addresses are unique.

Yes I have. Do I need a crossover cable if I am hooking up ethernet to ethernet?

drubin
November 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yes I have. Do I need a crossover cable if I am hooking up ethernet to ethernet?

Cross over is only from computer to computer or hub to hub, but now days the hubs are clever enough to switch them around so you only need normal cables.

razy60
November 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
are you using a router or hub to connect the pc's,
When you click on: Places-network. What does it show?

drubin
November 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Ok best idea I can think about is to do post the output of these commands

sudo ifconfig -a

sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf

spikoley
December 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Cross over is only from computer to computer or hub to hub, but now days the hubs are clever enough to switch them around so you only need normal cables.

I am connecting two computers directly. It sounds like this is the issue. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the time to pick up a crossover cable. Thanks for your help.

spikoley
January 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
It was the cable. I got a cross over cable and now both machines can communicate with each other. But, when they are connected neither of them can reach the internet. When I unplug the connection, the computer connected to the internet can surf. I connect the 2 computers together and both of them cannot reach the internet. This sounds like a route issue. Any ideas on how to solve it? Thanks.

spikoley
January 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Got it working. I had to run these commands again.

iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

BTW, eth0 = the interface connected to the internet. This post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6408893&postcount=2) resolved it.