PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Failures

mollydoggy1971
November 30th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 last Friday evening. It installed fine, and I had some issues with connecting it to my windows network. After a few days, it was decided that I should reinstall. I did so, and also had no issues. I finally got the computer to see the windows network, then, on the same day, I updated as it told me to. All hell broke loose. Something filed in the update, and from that point onward it would only allow me to boot into a text console, and kept telling me that there were a multitude of erros on the hard disk. Finally, I swapped hard disks and installed it on a new hard drive. During installations, it kicked me into text mode and once again showed a multitude of errors. So I reformatted the drives, and installed Windows XP on the C drive. All went well. Then I tried to install Kubuntu 8.10 onto the drive in a dual boot setup. Kubuntu seemed to be going along well for about 25 minutes, then rebooted itself, i guess in order to get the GUI to finish the setup. The setup screen only showed in the upper left corner of my screen, and in VERY small font. After it finished doing it's stuff there, it rebooted again, only to kick me out into a text console again, and again with all the error information. Can someone please help me get this thing to install? I don't care if I'm using Ubuntu or Kubuntu, I just want it to work. I also don't care if I install it as the only OS or if I dual boot it. I just want it to work. I'm a 100% newbie when it comes to Linux, as I've never actually used it before in my life. So any help you all may offer needs to be in very basic terms, and with very good step by step information. Please don't assume that I know something, because there's a 100% chance that I do NOT know it. It took me a week to finally get someone to tell me that I needed to type commands into the Terminal program. See how dumb I am? Thanks in advance for your help, time and patience.

Jeff

mollydoggy1971
December 1st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Anyone out there that can offer a guy some advice?

sukhhari
December 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Can you post your Computer Hardware Configuration.

mollydoggy1971
December 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
Can you post your Computer Hardware Configuration.

I'd love to. Can you tell me how to do that? Is there a program to list it all, or do I have to list everything manually? I don't remember everything that's in there.

sukhhari
December 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
What is your Computer / Laptop Make with HDD, Memory and other configuration.

mollydoggy1971
December 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
What is your Computer / Laptop Make with HDD, Memory and other configuration.

It is a self-built PC. I have 2 Maxtor 160gb and 2 Maxtor 200GB hard drives in it. 1 GB of memory. Video built in to the MB. Sound built in to the MB. Nothing connected to the USB ports. DVD burner. No floppy drives.

I hope that's enough information, as it's about all I remember.

Jeff