PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Are old kernels necessary in grub?

nakama85
November 30th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Are old kernels necessary to have in the grub menu.lst

If so then why?

I was just wondering because if they are not necessary then I was going to remove them. Call me crazy but I don't like clutter. Not even on boot:lolflag:

Thanks for your input

wilbbe01
November 30th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Agreed, I hate clutter as well. You really don't need them listed in Grub once you know the newly installed kernel functions as you expect. You can comment out the lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding a # to the front of all the lines in the section for which kernels you do not want. Does this help? Simply commenting them out here does make it easier in the future should you realize some module doesn't work with a newer kernel like you thought it did initially.

StevoG7
November 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Old kernels are absolutely not necessary in your menu.lst file. You only need to have entries in menu.lst for options you would like to have the option of booting with.

You could remove them from menu.lst to remove eye clutter, or if you are happy with the current kernel, you could uninstall the old kernels that are cluttering your grub entries. This would automatically remove them from menu.lst as well I believe.

To remove the old kernels just go to the synaptic package manager and search for linux-image. There will be several linux-image packages with different versions, and you can just remove the versions that correspond to the kernels you no longer want.

SunnyRabbiera
Mainly they are for recovery/backup, though with the recent kernel vulnerabilities maybe there should be cut out.

OutOfReach
You can delete some kernels, but it is a good idea to keep at least one kernel that worked well for you. Just incase your current kernel fails somehow.

nakama85
Agreed, I hate clutter as well. You really don't need them listed in Grub once you know the newly installed kernel functions as you expect. You can comment out the lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding a # to the front of all the lines in the section for which kernels you do not want. Does this help? Simply commenting them out here does make it easier in the future should you realize some module doesn't work with a newer kernel like you thought it did initially.
Cool thanks I did not even think about commenting out the lines. That's a great idea.

Only question in response is, when you say the new kernel functions as I would expect. Is there anything in particular I should look for and do people often have problems with new kernels?

Thanks

nakama85
November 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Mainly they are for recovery/backup, though with the recent kernel vulnerabilities maybe there should be cut out.

What kind of vulnerabilities do you speak of. Anything I should worry about?

Xiong Chiamiov
November 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM
If you can boot, you're pretty much fine. Other things to pay attention to are wireless and sound.

These ones (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Newly-Discovered-Kernel-Vulnerabilities-Affect-All-Ubuntu-Users-98864.shtml).

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Newly-Discovered-Kernel-Vulnerabilities-Affect-All-Ubuntu-Users-98864.shtml

This is the big kernel vulnerability report right now, but if you constantly upgrade you should be fine.