PDA

View Full Version : Do you parenthesize (A lot)?

gletob
November 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I know that I do how about you

sstusick
November 30th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Not really.

damis648
November 30th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Quite often I would say. (Maybe about every third post of mine you will find parenthesis).

myusername
November 30th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Not Really (Actually i can't recall the last time i did)

Le-Froid
November 30th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Somewhat (every now and then I'll put a parenthesis into my posts).

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I don't parenthesize a lot, but I do it when necessary.

Bölvağur
November 30th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I dont know, depends on what I am writing. But I guess I use it (very frequently imo).

MikeTheC
November 30th, 2008, 05:13 AM
(Never.) (Why do you ask?)

Squid Tamer
November 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I use them all the time! (I sometimes even do weird nested parentheses.(I really do!))

-grubby
November 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I use them all the time! (I sometimes even do weird nested parentheses.(I really do!))

I think you're supposed to use square brackets ( [ ] ) for those.

Squid Tamer
November 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.
But what if you want to do it a THIRD time? :lolflag:

( [ < > ] ) ?
( [ { } ] ) ?
( [ ( ) ] ) ?
( [ | | ] ) ?
What about the dreaded ( [ { | < > | } ] ) brain-bustin' super nester for extra insane parenthesitation?

MikeTheC
November 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM

(Well then, would you then use braces "{}" for nesting within square brackets? [Or would that be a separate thing? {I think this could make someone's head explode.} We need to establish this.] Otherwise, we may need to find an alternative [which might really introduce issues] to avoid confusion.)

MysticEdge
November 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
According to the use of parenthesis in mathematics, the usage of different grouping symbols are as follows. (You start out with parenthesis[use braces inside of that{brackets after that. (Then the cycle starts over again with parenthesis.)}]) Then you finish it all up at the end. Or as needed.

But you only really need to utilize all those if you've got Multiple Personalities.

Hey, I think that was a good point you made.(Albeit a little blunt[It wasn't blunt{yes it was(how can you be sure?[Just look at it!{Yeah, you're right, it's blunt(See, I told you it was blunt)}])}])

At least, that's according to mathematics, and I'm fairly sure that correlates to english usage.