PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] internet speed

luckydeveloper
November 30th, 2008, 03:33 AM
hi,

i want to check my internet speed. i have an ethernet broadband connection.how do i do that.

thanks

lswb
November 30th, 2008, 03:37 AM
There are several web sites you can use, you can find dozens by googling for "internet speed" or "bandwidth meter" or something similar. One I like is

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

luckydeveloper
November 30th, 2008, 03:38 AM
are there any command line utility for it...

luckydeveloper
November 30th, 2008, 03:42 AM
that url was awesome.. thanks.. but it showed me that i have 257kps download speed. but when i download something, it only gives 20-30 kbps download speed. why is that so.....

Xiong Chiamiov
November 30th, 2008, 03:44 AM
that url was awesome.. thanks.. but it showed me that i have 257kps download speed. but when i download something, it only gives 20-30 kbps download speed. why is that so.....
Because that's as fast as the server you're downloading from is uploading to you.

zzHanks
November 30th, 2008, 03:46 AM
It depends on the server/source you are downloading from.
The test only showed the speed from the test server

luckydeveloper
November 30th, 2008, 03:48 AM
i want to download the latest ubuntu iso.. how can i chose a fast web server to download from.. some time back.. i tried it using a china server.. but i got only 20kbps download speed... how can i choose a fast web server

zzHanks
November 30th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Choose the server that is nearest your location, or download via torrent.

Kareeser
November 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Make sure you are not confusing "kbps", or "kilobits per second" with "KBps", or "kilobytes per second".

There are eight bits in a byte, so 257 kilobits is actually 33 kilobytes per second, which is your maximum.

Contact your ISP and see if you can be moved to a remote (assuming you have DSL), since your speeds are quite substandard.