PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting Internet Connection Sharing working and fixing crashes

AlexLH
November 30th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Hello,

I have been very pleased with Ubuntu, but I am trying to set up Internet Connection Sharing, and have run into a few problems. If these have already been directly answered, then please point me to the right thread. If not, spend a few moments of your precious time to help me.

I have:

Two PCs - One with Linux, and one with Windows
Two wireless USB adapters
One internet connection, running on an ethernet connection, on the Linux machine.

I am trying to make this machine (Running Ubuntu, and which has the Internet Connection via Ethernet, and will connect to the other PC using a USB Wireless Adapter), share its internet with the other PC (Running Windows, and has the other Wireless USB Adapter). I have tried to use firestarter, which seems like it would work except for a few problems:

1) When I try to start Internet Connection Sharing via Firestarter, it says the Internal Network (The Wireless connection (wlan)) is not connected. I have tried to then connect to the other network by setting up an ad-hoc network. But when it connects to the PC using ad-hoc, it disconnects from the wired Internet Connection.

2) When turning on the Linux machine, if the Adapter is left in it, it is not detected. If I remove it, and plug it back in, it either does not detect it, or freezes the machine, and I need to hold the power button. If I wait for the machine to start, and put it in, sometimes it will be detected. If not, and I take it out, and put it back in, the machine will freeze. Also, when setting the Wireless Sett9ngs, sometimes the machine will freeze. So it is very hard to do anything when it keeps freezing.

So:

1) Can anybody give me detailed instructions on setting up Internet Connection Sharing, with the setup I have mentioned above?

2) Can anybody help me fix the freezing? Is it the driver? If so, how do I fix it?

The USB Wireless Adapter is a NetGear WG111 v1. I have used those drivers for Windows with ndiswrapper.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
AlexLH

Iowan
November 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Perhaps you've already seen it, but here (http://https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing) is a help page on ICS.