PDA

View Full Version : Well, since I'm starting a system from scratch, I need help on apps..

Exershio
November 30th, 2008, 02:56 AM
hey everybody, recently I decided to try out my first system from scratch (Arch Linux) and I'm loving the lack of bloat! However, I'm not used to having like no applications for my daily tasks, so I could really use some advice.

I know the basics, like firefox, pidgin, rhythmbox, etc, but what I really need help with is the basic utilities. For example, I need a TAR/ZIP extractor for one. I also could use a decent file browser (right now I'm trying out thunar, way different from nautilus. dunno if I really like it)

So, could anybody recommend me some good and useful utilities (such as an archiver, file browser, terminal, etc) I'll need to run my computer?

I would really prefer lightweight programs, as I'm trying to keep a minimalist system. However, I won't gimp out on programs just because they're larger than others, so keep that in mind.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I dunno where to really put it.

Rokurosv
November 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I think you meant rar, I think there are 2 RAR compressors, a free and a non-free, for 7z there's p7zip.

Browser alternatives: Midori, Dillo. I prefer Midori cause it's super fast, since it's based of Webkit. Dillo is ok, it's pretty slim but it takes care of your web browsing needs.

Archiver: you could try File Roller or Xarchiver.

Music Player: Sonata is a good app, it need MPD though, there's also Aqualung which is very nice.

Terminal: Eterm, it's very customizable and lightweight.

Exershio
November 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Thanks, I'll definitely look into all those. :)

I also just found this page, so I'm excited now hehe. Plenty of software to check out ^_^

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lightweight_Software

zmjjmz
November 30th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I use Xarchiver on my lightweight systems, and mrxvt is a nice tabbed lightweight terminal.
Some good file browsers to check out:
mc
worker
EmelFM
ROX
PCManFM

Unfortunately most of those can't do FTP, but for that I use gFTP.

chucky chuckaluck
November 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
if you're using thunar and you don't want to just use the tar and unzip commands, you can use the thunar-archive-plugin ( a seperate installation) and pacman will tell you what it needs in order to operate (squeeze is pretty good).

if you went to arch for the lack of bloat, you might want to consider using less bloated apps. for example, you might want to try cplay, or cmus, instead of rhythmbox (which you could hold onto while you;re learning the others).

AnLGP
November 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I like cmus for playing music. It didn't take that long for me to get used to the keyboard shortcuts, either. Give it a try.

Exershio
November 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
if you went to arch for the lack of bloat, you might want to consider using less bloated apps. for example, you might want to try cplay, or cmus, instead of rhythmbox (which you could hold onto while you;re learning the others).

I would, but the idea of moving to CLI apps kind of puts me off. I'm used to having a GUI for my common applications (except performing some tasks, such as copying/moving files, and of course installing and removing programs, etc)

I'll have to give it a shot though.

oldos2er
November 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I use Xarchiver on my lightweight systems, and mrxvt is a nice tabbed lightweight terminal.
Some good file browsers to check out:
mc
worker
EmelFM
ROX
PCManFM

Unfortunately most of those can't do FTP, but for that I use gFTP.

mc does ftp; don't know about the others.

mips
November 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Worker (http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/) file manager & more.

mikjp
November 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I use the CLI tool tar for tarballs, mp3blaster for music, xterm as terminal, midnight commander is a text mode file browser.

sujoy
November 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM
WM: openbox/xmonad
Shell: zsh
Editor: vim
Music: mpd+ncmpc/sonata
Video: mplayer
Compression: tar,unrar,unzip
FileManager: shell
Terminal: urxvt
Browser: firefox/midori
Image: mirage,gimp
Chat: weechat,bitlbee/pidgin

others: evince,gftp,iptables,yaourt (to install from AUR),xcompmgr

K.Mandla
November 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well ...

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/software/

Maybe?

chucky chuckaluck
November 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I would, but the idea of moving to CLI apps kind of puts me off. I'm used to having a GUI for my common applications (except performing some tasks, such as copying/moving files, and of course installing and removing programs, etc).

cplay would be better than cmus, then, for you. it's simple. you type cplay, it show you a list of your /home directories, you navigate to your music directory, find the song you want and hit 'enter'. pretty simple and at so less a resource cost. i use a mix of gui apps, tui apps and cli apps. there are some things i can't figure out how to do with cli apps, so i still use gui apps for those activities. if you appreciate a minimal approach, you might find yourself not so put off by terminal apps.

Exershio
December 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
cplay would be better than cmus, then, for you. it's simple. you type cplay, it show you a list of your /home directories, you navigate to your music directory, find the song you want and hit 'enter'. pretty simple and at so less a resource cost. i use a mix of gui apps, tui apps and cli apps. there are some things i can't figure out how to do with cli apps, so i still use gui apps for those activities. if you appreciate a minimal approach, you might find yourself not so put off by terminal apps.

I gave MPD + Sonata a try and so far I'm loving it. The feature to be able to kill X and still have music playing... priceless :D

Anyways, I have everything I need so far. The only bloat I have is firefox. I gave midori a try, but it crashes too much and there's no adblock yet. It looks promising though.

Using openbox, thunar, mpd + sonata, pidgin, abiword (wtf's with the tons of dependancies?), gedit, xterm, xarchiver. I'll probably need something else soon, but until then, my desktop is sexy. :D (I'll post a screenshot later... I don't have a screenshot tool yet :P)

Thanks a ton for all the help everyone.

chucky chuckaluck
December 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I gave MPD + Sonata a try and so far I'm loving it. The feature to be able to kill X and still have music playing... priceless :D

if you're feeling adventurous, you might want to checkout ncmpc (terminal frontend for mpd). that way, when you've killed x, you can still pick out your next playlist.

Anyways, I have everything I need so far. The only bloat I have is firefox. I gave midori a try, but it crashes too much and there's no adblock yet. It looks promising though.

midori can pass the acid3 test, so, if you spend a lot of time at the acid3 website, it might just be the right browser for you.

sujoy
December 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Using openbox, thunar, mpd + sonata, pidgin, abiword (wtf's with the tons of dependancies?), gedit, xterm, xarchiver. I'll probably need something else soon, but until then, my desktop is sexy. :D (I'll post a screenshot later... I don't have a screenshot tool yet :P) ......

get scrot for taking screenshots

Exershio
December 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
Well here's my desktop so far. Openbox + PyPanel = sexy :D